GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport fog light retrofit started...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 12:36 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY : F-Sport fog light retrofit

Fogs and yellow Lamin-X arrived today, so I wasted no time getting it on while I am here at the office. The wiring harness and JDM grills are from Nigel-jdmparts

Not my image, but OEM F Sport fog grills

Car they will be going on:

Popped one in to see

There are actually 2 screws and one tab so overall points it is secured.

I didn't want to tap or destroy any factory wiring in case, so here is what I did for my trigger wire to work with parking lights. It is actually a strand of wire from a coaxial cable that I clipped and soldered to the multistrand trigger wire then heatshrinked. I also pushed the wire into the weatherproof boot a tad more but forgot a pic so it's actually fully inside the boot now.

Now when I unlock the car with my fob, the parking lights, LEDs and the fogs now come on which is nice for dark parking lots. Also, for those that need to ensure the fogs go off with high beams, I read that you can run your relay ground and tap it to the high beam signal which is probably in that 24 pin headlight connector. That way when they are flashed it will remove the ground to the relay and therefore shut the fogs off.

On the 24 pin headlight connector image below, 17 and 19 are the parking lights and both are green wires. 8 is headlights and is a red wire and 18 is the DRL's which has power on ignition and parking lights but when headlights are on it does not which is why it makes sense not to use that as a trigger unless you use multiple relays and have drl OR hl as the trigger.

Last edited by ricam78; 03-20-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-14-16, 04:19 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good! Will the harness allow direct plug and play wired directly to the light switched in the car?
Old 03-14-16, 05:10 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

You can get an OEM JDM stalk with an independent fog switch and swap that on BUT it's a lot more work and cost. I figure since I always like to run fogs anyway I will use my DRL LED's as their trigger or if that doesn't work when I test then I will wire my trigger to be my parking lights. In either case they will.be able to be tuned on and off with the current stalk though.
Old 03-15-16, 02:18 PM
Staggered3
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice I am doing the same thing my boy is wrapping mine this week, I was thinking about wiring up the same to a separate switch that will get power with the parking lights, so that may I can drl's only, drl's and fogs, or headlights and fogs
Old 03-15-16, 02:22 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Staggered3
Nice I am doing the same thing my boy is wrapping mine this week, I was thinking about wiring up the same to a separate switch that will get power with the parking lights, so that may I can drl's only, drl's and fogs, or headlights and fogs
Good call. All depends on how you want it to work. I want them on all the time while driving which is why DRL as my trigger is what is desired. If I want them off, I can toggle the stalk to DRL off and then they will be off.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (09-17-19)
Old 03-15-16, 03:58 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Staggered3
Unless the law has changed in Virginia don't forget that fog lights can't be used at the same time when using bright lights.
Old 03-15-16, 05:33 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2Squared
Unless the law has changed in Virginia don't forget that fog lights can't be used at the same time when using bright lights.
I'll stop at an inspection station tomorrow and kindly inquire....

I wonder if the DRL's go off when you flash your high beams. If so then this setup will work. I'll have to have my kids flash the highs while I watch tonight.
Old 03-16-16, 02:41 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Had to pop one in just to see....

Old 03-16-16, 05:12 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Did both....notice there are actually 2 screws and one tab so overall points it is secured.

taniner (06-15-20)
Old 03-16-16, 05:19 PM
Staggered3
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Squared
If definitely has not changed lol... I dislike how VA laws limit what you can do to our cars. Tinted window restrictions, no radar detector, mandatory front plate...blah blah blah, I usually get around the fog light thing with the inspection by temporarily just taking the bulbs out... If the lights have a bulb in it and don't work you can fail, but as long as there no bulb in.. It passes...
Old 03-16-16, 05:42 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Good idea
Old 03-16-16, 06:52 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
You can get an OEM JDM stalk with an independent fog switch and swap that on BUT it's a lot more work and cost. I figure since I always like to run fogs anyway I will use my DRL LED's as their trigger or if that doesn't work when I test then I will wire my trigger to be my parking lights. In either case they will.be able to be tuned on and off with the current stalk though.
becareful with JDM wording for the turn signal stalk. JDM turn signals are on the right and windshield wipers are on the left.
Old 03-16-16, 09:56 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onihc
becareful with JDM wording for the turn signal stalk. JDM turn signals are on the right and windshield wipers are on the left.
Good point. Still learning but I'll come around 😆
Old 03-17-16, 06:56 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

No progress on fogs today. Will finish wiring tomorrow. I did notice that in the splash shield Lexus put 2 holes which are in the perfect spot to change a fog bulb if needed with no trim removal

I did also add about 15 hp with some caliper decals though

RichardB23 (09-17-19)
Old 03-18-16, 09:06 AM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you get the F Sport brake decals? I ordered the IJDM LED fog light kit today on amazon. should be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: F-Sport fog light retrofit started...