GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Exhaust Bolt/Spring/Nut Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 08:26 AM
dman3626
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Bolt/Spring/Nut Kit?

So I ordered a Tanabe Madalion Axleback system. I couldn't justify the shipping costs of the other "popular" exhaust on this forum. Free is Free. Anyway, I receive it yesterday, and it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Perfect welds, polished to perfection, etc. Just one problem....no hardware. So I reached out to the merchant, still waiting for a response. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to use the factory flange bolts/springs/nuts? Or if not, what is a good solution from a store like Autozone or O'Reilly's. Part number would be nice. I want to install on Saturday and most places can't ship in two days.
Old 02-17-16, 09:19 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm guessing it didn't come with instructions either? The Tanabe kit for my old car came with gaskets and bolts.
Old 02-17-16, 09:25 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

You should be able to reuse your existing nuts/bolts where it connects to the OEM points. You should get new gaskets (I'm surprised it didn't come with new gaskets) from AutoZone/O'reily's. Is the Tanabe a 2 piece versus the OEM 1 piece? I just removed my Tanae axle back from my 2007 GS and put back the OEM in less than an hour with basic hand-tools and spray lube for the hangers.
Old 02-17-16, 11:38 AM
dman3626
Rookie

It's a 2 piece axleback just like the OEM on the 13+ models. Yeah, didn't come with gaskets either. Is there a Tanabe rep on here I wonder? If anyone knows what universal ones would work well I could get them from a hardware store. I just don't know the bolt size. From what I read no gasket is needed for my car as it's different than the gen 3 gs350.
Old 02-17-16, 12:25 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dman3626
It's a 2 piece axleback just like the OEM on the 13+ models. Yeah, didn't come with gaskets either. Is there a Tanabe rep on here I wonder? If anyone knows what universal ones would work well I could get them from a hardware store. I just don't know the bolt size. From what I read no gasket is needed for my car as it's different than the gen 3 gs350.
I think any bolts that won't rust and withstand high heat would work. My car didn't need a gasket where it was connected with the spring nut (after the kid pipe) but needed one where the 2 Tanabe pieces are joined together. I'm not saying you're info is wrong, just giving input.
Old 02-17-16, 12:46 PM
dman3626
Rookie

Default I think i'm good

Originally Posted by msgs350
I think any bolts that won't rust and withstand high heat would work. My car didn't need a gasket where it was connected with the spring nut (after the kid pipe) but needed one where the 2 Tanabe pieces are joined together. I'm not saying you're info is wrong, just giving input.
Yeah the 4GS exhaust is very different than the 3GS. Each side is completely separate, go into separate parts of the midpipe. The only gasket there is a metal one on each midpipe end. It's a true dual setup from the factory. I finally heard back from the seller, they say Tanabe says good to go on reusing the OEM bolts. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-17-16, 12:52 PM
dman3626
Rookie

Default Can't wait to Install on Saturday

Will take to a buddy's shop. I tried jackstands and it's just too tight under there. I'll wait until Saturday I guess. Finally got my JDM fog garnishes and XB led fogs ordered too.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Bolt/Spring/Nut Kit?-tanabe2016.jpg  
Old 02-17-16, 12:57 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

youre def gonna want gaskets/donuts - if not youll have a leak. the muffler section should come with all hardware needed (donuts and spring/bolts)....
Old 02-17-16, 01:03 PM
dman3626
Rookie

If anyone ordered the Tanabe (on a 2013+ model) that wants to Chime in.....because they are saying to use the factory hardware. I checked several sites...no mention of additional hardware. hence why I started the thread.
Old 02-17-16, 01:38 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not purchased a Tanabe axle back, but I've purchased the Invidia and Joe Z and both came with hardware. If I remember right, the OEM bolt with the spring doesn't have a nut on the other side, they just thread right into the nut/hole on the OEM flange? You may be able to use the OEM bolts and just get a two nuts?

I use the Rhino ramps and it gets the car up high enough to do just the axle back, usually takes me about 30 mins to swap them out!
Old 02-17-16, 02:33 PM
dman3626
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
I have not purchased a Tanabe axle back, but I've purchased the Invidia and Joe Z and both came with hardware. If I remember right, the OEM bolt with the spring doesn't have a nut on the other side, they just thread right into the nut/hole on the OEM flange? You may be able to use the OEM bolts and just get a two nuts?

I use the Rhino ramps and it gets the car up high enough to do just the axle back, usually takes me about 30 mins to swap them out!
Thank you sir. I'll have to start searching for the nut part number.
Old 02-17-16, 04:10 PM
kpred1970
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tanabe and thought the same as you about the hardware. You have to reuse the oem bolts with the tanabe, they screw right into the exhaust holes that are pre drilled to accept the screws. There isn't a gasket, I didn't get one or saw where one was needed. The exhaust mates to the oem flange. Oem doesn't have a gasket either.
Old 02-19-16, 08:11 AM
dman3626
Rookie

Originally Posted by kpred1970
I have the Tanabe and thought the same as you about the hardware. You have to reuse the oem bolts with the tanabe, they screw right into the exhaust holes that are pre drilled to accept the screws. There isn't a gasket, I didn't get one or saw where one was needed. The exhaust mates to the oem flange. Oem doesn't have a gasket either.
Perfect! Thanks for the info and awesome pic. I can't wait to do this Saturday.
Old 02-19-16, 09:12 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

oem has an exhaust donut between the mufflers and the mid-pipe, at least that was the case with my 2013. I had changed out my stock mid-pipe for a megan racing and had issues (exhaust leaks) with the mid-pipe to stock muffler connection as the stock exhaust donut wouldn't fit due to the increase pipe diameter of the megan.

in the picture above - why does it appear that the pipe/flange seems to be cut and welded? I would've assumed the tanabe would be better constructed and used a one piece pipe to the flange?
Old 02-19-16, 09:49 AM
dman3626
Rookie

Yeah I'm going to try this and then later down the road i'll probably go for an Invidia or JoeZ midpipe. I've heard varying things about the Megan stuff. I saw a dyno sheet with the Tanabe axleback though. Similar gains to the Joez and a nice mellow sound. So I could care less so long as the welds are clean.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Bolt/Spring/Nut Kit?