Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 01:40 AM
C850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles

Hi there,

I drive a GS450h. Now I am experiencing some rattles that irritate the hell out of me and I am hoping some of you may know the solution to fixing it.

It is a "tock" sound that comes from around the driversseat. It is impossible for me to isolate, but it sounds like its from either of these locations:
- Driversdoor
- Roof
- A pillar driversside
- Dashboard

It doesn't matter where if the road is bumpy or not, actually it seems to be more present on smooth roads. I removed the covers of the door and looked for anything that moved in there, but it all seemed ok. How can I check for the rest? Is there a DIY for removing the roof and A-style panels/cover?

Thanks a lot for any info, because that "tock" drives me nuts to the point I am ready to trade the car in.
Old 02-12-16, 05:07 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Battling the same monster here. Only in my case its a creaking sound, that I can't find. I'd be ok if it was elsewhere and not next to me.
Old 02-12-16, 11:15 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

It could be your grab handles. On my 2013, I had problems with them creaking and ticking when driving. Dealer just took them off and installed some foam. They also replaced something for the sunroof. My 2015 is having the problem now too, so I'm going to take it in soon.
Old 02-12-16, 02:11 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Same issue here......mostly from driver door panel from the bass from music.
Old 02-12-16, 07:13 PM
ironcondor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Same issue here......mostly from driver door panel from the bass from music.
That's likely the trim around the window / mirror switches. If you push down on it while the bass is hitting, it should go away. If you get a trim removal kit (preferred) you can take the trim off and put a section of cut-to-size felt there, and pop the trim piece back on.
Old 02-12-16, 09:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
It could be your grab handles. On my 2013, I had problems with them creaking and ticking when driving. Dealer just took them off and installed some foam. They also replaced something for the sunroof. My 2015 is having the problem now too, so I'm going to take it in soon.
Is your 2015 F Sport sprung any differently to your 2013 F Sport?

I know that 2014 Luxury got 8 speed auto with 19" alloys.

Because my 2015 Luxo has more laser weld spots, a newer more advanced windscreen adhesive that further increases torsional rigidity and bending stiffness, and this is combined with newer front coils and new front shockies for 2015, both with different part numbers to my friend's 2013 Luxo, such that mine rattled inside the left front air vent and under the HUD, and inside the right door etc etc; his virtually didn't rattle at all!

However once I retrofitted the slightly softer 2013 front coils and the much softer and floatier original 2013 front shockies - the rattles are gone!
The standard 2015 Luxury model had a more aggressive 50/50 handling/ride balance.
IMO, the original 2013 Luxo has a 30/70 handling/ride balance.
IMO, the current E Class has a 20/80 handling/ride balance.

The 2015 with retrofitted 2013 front coils & shockies, and 18" rims now has a slightly softer spring rate to maintain steering sharpness and flat body attitude, but the original front shockies are much floatier such that the GS has a "glide ride" - with a bit of float making it feel as though it rides on air.
If I need less floatiness and more body control, I just use Sports Plus mode.
Rattles all gone...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-12-16 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 06:28 AM
TheGAGLine
Driver School Candidate

My 2013 F Sport is a rattle box. So far I've experienced rattles/creaking etc in the following areas:

-around the navigator screen (Lexus put in additional insulation)

-sunroof ( after denying that there was a problem, Lexus found the assembly was defective and replaced the entire unit) the sunroof occasionally opens on its own

- center console- squeaking ( not fixed)

-passenger side door area squeaking (not fix)

-rear seat window behind driver rattles ( not fixed)

I've recently had the opportunity to test drive a 2016 VW Passat SEL, an Acura TLX, a Mazda6, a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe, and three 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sports. All were markedly quieter than my 2013 F Sport. The Acura was the quietest.
Old 02-13-16, 09:32 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGAGLine
My 2013 F Sport is a rattle box. So far I've experienced rattles/creaking etc in the following areas:

-around the navigator screen (Lexus put in additional insulation)

-sunroof ( after denying that there was a problem, Lexus found the assembly was defective and replaced the entire unit) the sunroof occasionally opens on its own

- center console- squeaking ( not fixed)

-passenger side door area squeaking (not fix)

-rear seat window behind driver rattles ( not fixed)

I've recently had the opportunity to test drive a 2016 VW Passat SEL, an Acura TLX, a Mazda6, a BMW 4 series Gran Coupe, and three 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sports. All were markedly quieter than my 2013 F Sport. The Acura was the quietest.
I have quite a few rattles in my 2013 lux package. Maybe some of the same you have mentioned (center console in particular). However, I find the "quietness" of the car very good as far as road and wind noise. There was a marked improvement when I switched from the stock Dunlops to Michelin Primacy. But those rattles sure can drive you crazy sometimes! I asked Lexus to fix two rattles and they successfully fixed only one of them (but now a different, albeit much less annoying noise coming from that area haha).

FWIW I am waiting for someone to eventually post some pics on how to access the center console area. Once I know how to disassemble that, I may consider attacking my center console/cupholder rattle on my own.

Last edited by CottageChz; 02-13-16 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 04:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheGAGLine
My 2013 F Sport is a rattle box. So far I've experienced rattles/creaking etc in the following areas...

Creaks and rattles have a lot to do with the firmness of the coils and sway bars, and less to do with the shockies which controls the floatiness of the vehicle.
The 4GS is a fairly firmly suspended car to resist roll, hence resist weight transfer to the outside wheels, to maximize steering response and terminal grip.

The solidity of the body structure is also important.
Short wheelbases and narrower tracks actually stiffen the body structure, so too does coupes - with only two doors, there is less flexing, and a more rigid body structure.

Apparently, not well advertised, but the 2015 4GS has more laser weld spots, and the 2015 also uses a newer and stronger windscreen adhesive which strengthens the A pillar area in the 4GS for greater torsional rigidity and bending stiffness.
Old 02-13-16, 04:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I have quite a few rattles in my 2013 lux package. Maybe some of the same you have mentioned (center console in particular). However, I find the "quietness" of the car very good as far as road and wind noise. There was a marked improvement when I switched from the stock Dunlops to Michelin Primacy. But those rattles sure can drive you crazy sometimes! I asked Lexus to fix two rattles and they successfully fixed only one of them (but now a different, albeit much less annoying noise coming from that area haha).

FWIW I am waiting for someone to eventually post some pics on how to access the center console area. Once I know how to disassemble that, I may consider attacking my center console/cupholder rattle on my own.
Like most things, tire design is a compromise.
The Michelin Primacy is an Energy tire, or in other words a Green tire.
It contains silicone to lower the rolling resistance for improved fuel economy.
Silicone impregnated tires are also slightly quieter than conventional rubber tires too.

On the downside, silicone impregnation makes the tires more rigid, such that the tires have reduced grip, and a slightly bumpier ride, so if anything, you may have slightly more creaks and rattles.
I will try to post pictures of how to remove center console...
Old 02-24-16, 01:25 PM
C850
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. So far no luck on my side. So far the A-pillar is my primary suspect with the sunroof as a close second.

Been to the dealer 8 times for this issue, and still no result. So I am either going to have to do it myself or trade it in. Is there any easy way to remove the roof-lining to have a look myself?

Is the IS 2nd generation roof-lining close to the GS? If so, this tutorial may be handy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oval-swap.html
Old 02-24-16, 09:33 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by C850
Thanks guys. So far no luck on my side. So far the A-pillar is my primary suspect with the sunroof as a close second.

Been to the dealer 8 times for this issue, and still no result. So I am either going to have to do it myself or trade it in. Is there any easy way to remove the roof-lining to have a look myself?

Is the IS 2nd generation roof-lining close to the GS? If so, this tutorial may be handy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oval-swap.html
Sorry to hear that. It must really bother you for you to be considering a trade in. Rattles are very hit or miss with the dealer, for sure. I have one that they have tried to fix three times now. It is quieter, but still not totally gone.

You may know this already, but FYI, the roof liner apparently costs ~$2000. So make sure you don't damage it if you start messing around with it. Best of luck.
Old 02-25-16, 02:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Battling the same monster here. Only in my case its a creaking sound, that I can't find. I'd be ok if it was elsewhere and not next to me.
Have you checked your seat, that could be the culprit.
Old 03-14-16, 10:55 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, it is my empty passenger seat that just recently has started to vibrate over bumps. The headrest is moving about 1/2 to 3/4 inches over any appreciable bump and has an annoying rattle. Now the question is what can I do about it? Is there anything I can tighten?
Old 03-30-16, 08:23 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 15 has a annoying rattle from the sunroof with the sunroof open and about 50+ MPH. if you touch the glass with a little pressure the rattle goes away. I also have a alight rattle on rough pavement in the B pillar on the drivers side. seems to come from the seatbelt height adjuster.

Quick Reply: Rattles