GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission rough shifting in '15 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Transmission rough shifting in '15 GS?

So I noticed that my transmission shifts (jerks) a little rougher than the 3 previous Lexi's that I had when shifting into drive or reverse when the car isnt fully warmed up. Is that "normal?" Had 2 ESes and 1 RX and while I do feel a slight lurch, the GS is a bit rough. I usually let the RPM drop to 1k before driving off on warm or cold days.

Separate incident: I recall at one point, I was going reverse, stopped, quickly shifted into drive and gave it some pedal (not full throttle) and felt a noticeable "bang" and violent lurch forward. Could that have hurt the transmission? Is the computer smart enough to prevent damage? I'm thinking this might have been the cause of it.
Old 01-25-16, 08:17 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine feels smooth and I've miss-shifted it a few times, like going from D to R with gas like u did. I was scared as hell and thought my tranny would be toast.
Old 01-25-16, 10:52 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

doing that will not kill your transmission right away, but I would wait until the transmission fully engages to D from R before giving it large amount of gas.. It is an automatic transmission, after all.

I have noticed my car shifting "rough" time to during forward gear changes. I am sure it'll improve as the car learns the style I drive in the next couple of thousand miles.
Old 01-25-16, 12:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have owned 3 sp, 4 sp, 6 sp and 8 sp units.
The '15 8 spd is the slickest unit I've ever owned.

If your 8 sp is jerking from N to D, then go to dealer and get it checked out.
Old 01-25-16, 12:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have owned 3 sp, 4 sp, 6 sp and 8 sp units.
The '15 8 spd is the slickest unit I've ever owned.

If your 8 sp is jerking from N to D, then go to dealer and get it checked out.
Its like that when its cold so by the time I get there it will be warm and "we can't find anything."
Old 01-25-16, 12:32 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Its like that when its cold so by the time I get there it will be warm and "we can't find anything."
Request for a loaner, they can try it the next morning if its consistently doing this.
Old 01-25-16, 01:00 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
doing that will not kill your transmission right away, but I would wait until the transmission fully engages to D from R before giving it large amount of gas.. It is an automatic transmission, after all.

I have noticed my car shifting "rough" time to during forward gear changes. I am sure it'll improve as the car learns the style I drive in the next couple of thousand miles.
Edit: my car is the 6spd auto awd
Old 01-25-16, 01:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

So I noticed that my transmission shifts (jerks) a little rougher than the 3 previous Lexi's that I had when shifting into drive or reverse when the car isnt fully warmed up. Is that "normal?" Had 2 ESes and 1 RX and while I do feel a slight lurch, the GS is a bit rough. I usually let the RPM drop to 1k before driving off on warm or cold days.
When the engine is cold (especially in cold ambient temperature) the engine RPM speed will be significantly higher than when the engine is warmed-up. This higher engine speed will tend to make the transmission engage a bit harder (e.g. rougher or jerkier).

Separate incident: I recall at one point, I was going reverse, stopped, quickly shifted into drive and gave it some pedal (not full throttle) and felt a noticeable "bang" and violent lurch forward. Could that have hurt the transmission? Is the computer smart enough to prevent damage? I'm thinking this might have been the cause of it.
Any time you disengage the transmission from a gear while under load, or engaging a gear while applying throttle the transmission can make a harsh bang type noise. Also, when disengaging from reverse and quickly engaging into forward gear when the engine speed is just a bit higher than idle speed the transmission can also produce a harsh sensation. It's doubtful you damaged any transmission gears, but you certainly don't want to make a habit of pulling the transmission out of gear under load, or engaging a gear while applying throttle.
Old 01-25-16, 02:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Good Post ^^
Old 01-25-16, 02:11 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
When the engine is cold (especially in cold ambient temperature) the engine RPM speed will be significantly higher than when the engine is warmed-up. This higher engine speed will tend to make the transmission engage a bit harder (e.g. rougher or jerkier).

Any time you disengage the transmission from a gear while under load, or engaging a gear while applying throttle the transmission can make a harsh bang type noise. Also, when disengaging from reverse and quickly engaging into forward gear when the engine speed is just a bit higher than idle speed the transmission can also produce a harsh sensation. It's doubtful you damaged any transmission gears, but you certainly don't want to make a habit of pulling the transmission out of gear under load, or engaging a gear while applying throttle.
I always let the engine drop idle speed to 1k before going from P to D or R. I guess being a "Sport" transmission might have something to do with it? If anything I'll get it checked out at my 5k check up/oil change interval.

Yea I have been careful not to do that again. It was terrifying and thought I had damaged the tranny.
Old 01-25-16, 03:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Neutral drop!
Old 01-25-16, 04:35 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

bclexus said exactly what I was going to. When my engine is cold (like winter cold, not just "cold" in the summer), the RPMs are way higher on startup than they are in the summer. I also notice jerkier shifts until the car is warmed up, then it's smooth like butter again. I don't worry about it. Every car I've owned has had higher RPMs when started cold in the winter.

I have also noticed that I have to apply greater pressure on the brakes at a stoplight until the engine is warmed up and idle RPM decreases.
Old 01-25-16, 07:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Neutral drop!
Yeah, but you do it at 8,000 RPMs, which is perfectly okay.
Old 02-02-16, 08:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Do you guys sometimes feel the transmission shift, like a little nudge, when you lift off the gas or on stop and go traffic?
Old 02-02-16, 09:57 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Do you guys sometimes feel the transmission shift, like a little nudge, when you lift off the gas or on stop and go traffic?
I do, especially when I'm in M mode shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and back. This car isn't really a smooth shifter but it shifts fast.

Quick Reply: Transmission rough shifting in '15 GS?