GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

e GS' mouse-like infotainment system controller to be hard to use.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 05:13 PM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question e GS' mouse-like infotainment system controller to be hard to use.

Is the GS' mouse-like infotainment system controller to be hard to use. I am not a real computer oriented person although I do have a computer and iPhone Apple watch so I can use them I just find it rather difficult,

Is there a photograph or PDF which shows the **** up close along with its functions? I'm concerned that I would have to pull over to the side of the road to look at it and change a radio station or some other function one of the many computers perform. This is on a 2016 GS 350
Old 01-21-16, 05:33 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

The controller, just like anything takes some time to get used to. I had a touch screen in my previous cars and preferred that type of interface mainly because I was so used to it.

Its not difficult but in my opinion, but no matter what system, you'll end up needing to look away from the road (and possibly need to pull over) in order to perform detailed functions like inputting a destination or finding a point of interest. There is voice command but don't get me started on those limitations..

The newer GS's have been advertised with better haptic feedback and improved sensitivity. You'll definitely become familiar with it the more you use it...

In all truth, i'm not sure why Lexus went the direction of a non-touch screen interface since the proliferation of the devices we have used in the last few years have a touch screen interface (e.g. cell phones, tablets, ATMs, Point of Sale Devices, all in one laptops/desktops). But the system works well and i don't think its a deal-breaker if you are looking at the competition since everyone in the category is doing something similar...
Old 01-21-16, 05:39 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The reviews of ease of use on Lexus' system is mixed. IMO, it's one of the easiest to use on the market because it's similar to what we use on other devices like computers, just point and click. It can be a little distracting since you have to see where the cursor is, but the mouse controller clicks when moving from icon to icon. With the addition of enter buttons and back button on 2016MY, the system has improved. Of course touchscreen might be slightly easier to use, but the screen is usually positioned too low and distracting, and fingerprints would drive me crazy.

My parents (in their late 50's), who recently became Lexus owners, found the Lexus system the easiest to learn compared to Audi, BMW, and MB.
Old 01-21-16, 06:47 PM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The controller, just like anything takes some time to get used to. I had a touch screen in my previous cars and preferred that type of interface mainly because I was so used to it.

Its not difficult but in my opinion, but no matter what system, you'll end up needing to look away from the road (and possibly need to pull over) in order to perform detailed functions like inputting a destination or finding a point of interest. There is voice command but don't get me started on those limitations..

The newer GS's have been advertised with better haptic feedback and improved sensitivity. You'll definitely become familiar with it the more you use it...

In all truth, i'm not sure why Lexus went the direction of a non-touch screen interface since the proliferation of the devices we have used in the last few years have a touch screen interface (e.g. cell phones, tablets, ATMs, Point of Sale Devices, all in one laptops/desktops). But the system works well and i don't think its a deal-breaker if you are looking at the competition since everyone in the category is doing something similar...
That is about the size of it. I want a modern car with all of the electronics safety aids so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet. The other problem I see is being able to look at the road the instrument panel and that **** that turns at the same time and be able to see him I have many different pairs of glasses for different purposes. I'm in my 60s so my vision isn't that great with a astigmatism in both eyes looks like another set of glasses for probably computer distance and long-distance and most likely pulling over chewed do anything complicated.
Old 01-21-16, 07:42 PM
KennethGS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsinsc
Is the GS' mouse-like infotainment system controller to be hard to use. I am not a real computer oriented person although I do have a computer and iPhone Apple watch so I can use them I just find it rather difficult,

Is there a photograph or PDF which shows the **** up close along with its functions? I'm concerned that I would have to pull over to the side of the road to look at it and change a radio station or some other function one of the many computers perform. This is on a 2016 GS 350
Much of the infotainment stuff (switching stations / sources) and enabling/disabling safety features can be done from the wheel. I use the wheel controls for most things. Navigation is the one thing you have to use the controller for.

I had no problem getting used to the remote touch. I think I prefer it to a touch screen, which in my opinion requires more concentration and dexterity, particularly in a moving vehicle.

Last edited by KennethGS; 01-22-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-21-16, 09:52 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the Lexus system. It was aggravating at first to be honest, but once I learned the menus I started to really appreciate the thought that went into its design.

The screen is mounted high and far back in the dash toward the windshield, which makes it easier to use your periphery vision to notice what's ahead on the road while you are using it. The screen is large and easy to read in any kind of light. My only gripe is that some functions are buried in menus and there is no way to create custom short cuts for them like the latest BMW system.
Old 01-21-16, 10:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The only problem is getting the cursor exactly on the button u want. But u can adjust the tactile feedback so u'll feel it more.
Old 01-22-16, 07:22 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It's pretty easy to use, go try one.
Old 01-22-16, 08:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
The only problem is getting the cursor exactly on the button u want. But u can adjust the tactile feedback so u'll feel it more.
At what setting ('+' or '-' from the default center position)) did you find the feedback force best to your liking?
Old 01-22-16, 09:05 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
At what setting ('+' or '-' from the default center position)) did you find the feedback force best to your liking?
Oh I keep it in the middle now that I'm used to it.

If u think this is hard, try using the RC's touch pad, I think it's horrible! But I'm willing to look past it if I get the V8 RCF.
Old 01-22-16, 09:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Oh I keep it in the middle now that I'm used to it.

If u think this is hard, try using the RC's touch pad, I think it's horrible! But I'm willing to look past it if I get the V8 RCF.
Yeah, I find it is best in the center 'default' position too.

I put V12 emblems on my GS and it's hard to control all the power it has now. I'm thinking about putting some flame decals on the fenders next.