GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car stalls while stopped in Drive, when brake pressed firmly

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 04:34 PM
cmdace18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls while stopped in Drive, when brake pressed firmly

'15 Gs350 FSport. 4K miles. I have been able to replicate this issue, and won't have time to bring it into shop until next week. Figured you guys would know what the issue is.

I am at a stop light after driving for a bit. Car in drive obviously, foot on brake. If I press the brake very firmly, almost to where it hits the floor board, the slip indicator light comes on and flashes, and call stalls (or goes into idle). I am forced to shift car into park, and then shift back into drive. Or I have to turn car off, and back on again.

First time it happened I had no idea what was going on - I was reaching over to the passenger seat while at a stopped light and pressed down the brake pretty hard by accident. But I am now able to replicate it.

Thoughts?
Old 01-20-16, 04:46 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it again, this time step on the gas or let off the brake and wait a couple of seconds. Pressing the brake pedal firmly until the traction light flashes indicates hill assist. Meaning it'll hold your brake for a few seconds before releasing; this way you don't roll back and love tap the car behind you. disengages after a few seconds or when the gas pedal is depressed.

Now if your engine turns completely off there's something wrong with your hill assist.
Old 01-20-16, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Correct, you're activating hill start assist. If you just gave it some gas, it would kick off.
Old 01-20-16, 07:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I wonder at what hill grade most vehicles tend to roll backward when the driver's foot is lifted off the brake pedal but before the gas can be applied to cause forward movement? Or, when vehicles tend to roll backward even though the driver has his or her foot moderately on the brake pedal? Maybe it's time for those people to learn how to drive with both feet (when necessary).

These hills may present a problem...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-20-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my experience with modern cars it has to be pretty steep...
Old 01-20-16, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
In my experience with modern cars it has to be pretty steep...
I agree Steve. Steeper than I care to travel on anyway. I prefer gentle hills and valleys.
Old 01-20-16, 09:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Pretty certain that you just activated the hill hold assist feature. You should've heard a beep and see the traction light flashing when activated. If you release the brake after activating it, it will hold for a few seconds and then release as indicated by two beeps. As others have stated, you can also deactivate it by stepping on the gas (no beeps, but flashing traction light turns off).

Good thing you consulted here first. Saved you a trip to the dealer.
Old 01-20-16, 10:05 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
I wonder at what hill grade most vehicles tend to roll backward when the driver's foot is lifted off the brake pedal but before the gas can be applied to cause forward movement? Or, when vehicles tend to roll backward even though the driver has his or her foot moderately on the brake pedal? Maybe it's time for those people to learn how to drive with both feet (when necessary).

These hills may present a problem...

I frequent SF for work and some of these hills are daunting. Mine will roll back a back. And thank goodness for it in my manual three series.
Old 01-21-16, 12:04 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a nice feature I never knew about.
Old 01-21-16, 05:12 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The original poster did not reply yet so I hope he reads this thread before taking the car in to the dealer. Better us explain this feature than have the dealership explain it and make him feel stupid.

Note that this is also a great feature to use to launch your car with from a stop light. But this feature will not help you get better times on the drag strip.
Old 01-21-16, 12:43 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Toyota's / Lexus' don't roll back very easily, but every GM i've ever driven rolls backwards IMMEDIATELY, so much so that my dad has to be very careful going up his driveway if people are walking on the sidewalk behind him. He was perplexed/amazed when he drove my 99' 4runner many years back.
Old 01-21-16, 12:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

My CT will roll backwards on any hills when in D, even ones that aren't that steep, these electric cars can't hold like normal cars.
Old 01-21-16, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
My CT will roll backwards on any hills when in D, even ones that aren't that steep, these electric cars can't hold like normal cars.
Its the lack of a creep characteristic. Thats a hybrid thing.
Old 01-21-16, 07:53 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

My GS450h has a "hold" feature to prevent it from rolling at all. It basically functions like you holding the brake pedal down and then when you push down on the gas enough, it will automatically released the brake for you. Pretty useful.. we don't have many steeps hills in TX, so my use of it has been mainly in stop & go traffic (which is what I believe it was intended for) and in drive thru restaurants!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-21-16, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS has that, I like it, The 2016 GS has it also.

Quick Reply: Car stalls while stopped in Drive, when brake pressed firmly