GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front bumper paint chipping/flaking away

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 09:19 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper paint chipping/flaking away

I have a 2013 GS350 F-Sport in Nebula Grey Pearl. Purchased the car about 9 months ago as a CPO. Lately I've been noticing the front bumper paint is chipping away. While there appears to be normal rock chips that are associated with everyday use there is also parts of the bumper that seem down right defective. The clear coat is beginning to chip off and paint is starting to flake off. The salesmen who sold me the car advised me that CPO cars cannot have any type of paint work done to be classified as CPO. This seems to be a sub par front bumper respray because I highly doubt factory paint would be chipping away like this on a 3 year old car.

Do you guys think I have a claim if I take the car back to Lexus, or am I SOL and stuck fixing it myself? I do have the extended 100K miles / 6 Year Warranty

On a side note one my wheels paint is flaking off too! Splendid

Old 01-10-16, 10:26 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, looks like a "bumper-medic" type spot touch up. On my previous car, I scraped the wheels up pretty bad and had them touched up and after about a year, the paint started flaking like your bumper.
Old 01-11-16, 12:26 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The factory paint will flake only if u scrape it with a hard object. Ur bumper must've been poorly repainted. My bumper is chipped to hell but no flaking. The side however, flaked cause of my aftermarket lip rubbing hard against it and scraped the paint right off. But it's in the wheel well area so a touch up paint did the trick.
Old 01-11-16, 05:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

That doesn't look normal. I'm sure the bumper was sprayed before you bought it. I think with CPO they can repaint parts of the car but it can't exceed a certain number of panels. I think I read somewhere that it was 3. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-11-16, 06:37 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

most likely was repainted before
Old 01-11-16, 06:41 AM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO's can have panel's repainted but they are 'suppose to be Lexus standard'. That my friend is sub par paint work that was not prepped/painted properly. I'd review and print out the L Certified standards from the web site and show it to the sales person. I doubt they'll do anything for you at this point but I'd write to Lexus corporate to open a case.
Old 01-11-16, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by trinidad56
The salesmen who sold me the car advised me that CPO cars cannot have any type of paint work done to be classified as CPO.
Not true! If the salesman told you that CPO cars cannot have any paint work done to be classified as CPO - he either does not understand the Lexus CPO requirements, or he lied to you.

Lexus (as well as BMW and others) can repair/repaint up to 3 panels (e.g. fender, door, quarter panel, etc.) plus one or both bumpers and still meet CPO qualifications.

Your bumper was most definitely repainted...and they did a quick and shoddy job of it!
Old 01-11-16, 01:04 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have some good news to report on this issue. When I bought this CPO car I was originally referred to the GM at the dealership where I purchased my car. I decided to give him a call. He texted me right back saying "I got your message, don't worry we will take care of it" He's gonna call me back after his conference call. Aww yiss! Ill keep you all posted.