GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any experience with "ReplaceMyRemote" site for replacement key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 05:14 PM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any experience with "ReplaceMyRemote" site for replacement key fob?

I recently lost a GS-350 2013 key fob, and researched online here and elsewhere about how to get a replacement. Seems from what people say you can pay a lot to your dealer or try to find a replacement online and either activate it for your car yourself with the Toyota Techstream software or get your dealer to do it. I did read a lot of cautions about making sure you buy the right replacement fob.

So I found the site replacememyremote.com that has a nice interface to select the replacement fob you want, and seemed to know specifics about the Lexus GS-350 4th-gen remote fob, such as the fact that there are two circuitboard versions and you need to get the right version. So I ordered one and got a pristine fob that looks identical to my original. It has a blank physical key inside it, but since I don't ever use that I wasn't going to worry about it. I cracked it and my original open to make sure the circuitboard types match.

I followed the steps using Techstream outlined
to program the new fob. Unfortunately, it all worked up to the part where you put the new fob on the start button and wait for it to beep. No beep.

I took it to the Lexus dealer and they also weren't able to program the fob (charged $25 for trying). Calling replacemyremote.com, they insisted the fob could only be programmed at a locksmith, and that a dealer could not do it. In fact, taking the fob to a dealer probably ruined it!

This sounds like BS to me... surely a locksmith can't do anything with a Lexus key fob that a dealer can't do, right? And would generic locksmith software work better programming a Lexus key fob than Lexus dealer software?

Anyway, I am looking at local locksmiths, but am beginning to think I would have been better just paying Lexus their outrageous prices for a replacement fob that at least I know would have worked.