GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CarID is telling me that 245/35/20 tire size will not fit, will hit fenders.. true???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 09:41 AM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CarID is telling me that 245/35/20 tire size will not fit, will hit fenders.. true???

CarID is telling me that if I order 20" Niche Targa wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires sized at 245/35/20, they will hit the fenders as these are "too tall" ... is this true? I thought I saw people using this size on their GS's with no issue.

I have a 2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package..
Old 12-21-15, 09:47 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
CarID is telling me that if I order 20" Niche Targa wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires sized at 245/35/20, they will hit the fenders as these are "too tall" ... is this true? I thought I saw people using this size on their GS's with no issue.

Looks like you have your answer on your other post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tires-fit.html
Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I would go with 245/35/19 for 19's and 245/35/20 for 20's. You will not have any rubbing issues.
Old 12-21-15, 09:52 AM
Kane007
Driver

Does everyone agree with that? If I order these wheels and tires, I want to be sure because CarID will claim that I am ordering them while going against their advice. I would like to get advice from at least a few experienced members since these wheels and tires aren't cheap. Just want to be sure, I don't have enough experience with wheels and tires..
Old 12-21-15, 10:09 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Does everyone agree with that? If I order these wheels and tires, I want to be sure because CarID will claim that I am ordering them while going against their advice.
It's a CYA statement. Meaning, they only recommend the specs the factory recommends, even though there are MANY other sizes that would "fit." Like the other reply asked about lowering, suspension geometry plays a role as well.

I would like to get advice from at least a few experienced members since these wheels and tires aren't cheap
Side note: don't believe everything you read on the internet. Even here, don't believe blindly.
With that said, tirerack.com provides an optional tire size of 265/30/20. 35 series tire would be taller than the 30, however, you're after a narrower tire (245 vs 265) so in theory it should travel deeper into the fender before touching the sides (rubbing).

Using the tire calculator at https://tiresize.com/calculator/, your size as a 0.5 inch greater overall diameter (by a whopping 1.9%) but a 0.78 in narrower width.

From there, I would consider two other factors: cost and road quality where you live.
Cost: Common sizes are mass produced at greater volumes, which means less expensive. See which tire costs less, or doesn't cost more than you're willing to pay.
Roads: In Seattle, roads are garbage. 6" deep pot holes are not uncommon, nor are roads that are patched/cracked/patched/cracked and almost make you regret Sport+ mode. The smaller the sidewall, the more of the road you will feel. If you live in an area where the roads aren't freshly paved, consider sticking with the 35s you want.

My $0.02, you're fine. But I would recommend buying them from a place that installs them. Installing tires that aren't factory spec is a liability (albeit a small one, liability could just be replacements) and the shop that installs them assumes the liability, so it might take a few tries finding one that will install them.
Old 12-21-15, 10:20 AM
Kane007
Driver

Thanks for the info. I dont want to get the wheels and tires from a local store because all of the local stores near me are "suspect".. I dont trust any of them and they dont have good reviews.. they are too ghetto..

I dont want to go any lower than a 35 size tire, I was originally going for 19" inch wheels so that I can keep a 40 size tire but people me that this wont fit either.. so I was going to go to a 35 size tire.. then I thought, maybe I can get 20" rims and keep the 35 size tire so that is where I am at now..

Originally Posted by jayemko
It's a CYA statement. Meaning, they only recommend the specs the factory recommends, even though there are MANY other sizes that would "fit." Like the other reply asked about lowering, suspension geometry plays a role as well.

So, with all of that said, do you think 245/35/20 will fit with no issue?

Side note: don't believe everything you read on the internet. Even here, don't believe blindly.
With that said, tirerack.com provides an optional tire size of 265/30/20. 35 series tire would be taller than the 30, however, you're after a narrower tire (245 vs 265) so in theory it should travel deeper into the fender before touching the sides (rubbing).

Using the tire calculator at https://tiresize.com/calculator/, your size as a 0.5 inch greater overall diameter (by a whopping 1.9%) but a 0.78 in narrower width.

From there, I would consider two other factors: cost and road quality where you live.
Cost: Common sizes are mass produced at greater volumes, which means less expensive. See which tire costs less, or doesn't cost more than you're willing to pay.
Roads: In Seattle, roads are garbage. 6" deep pot holes are not uncommon, nor are roads that are patched/cracked/patched/cracked and almost make you regret Sport+ mode. The smaller the sidewall, the more of the road you will feel. If you live in an area where the roads aren't freshly paved, consider sticking with the 35s you want.

My $0.02, you're fine. But I would recommend buying them from a place that installs them. Installing tires that aren't factory spec is a liability (albeit a small one, liability could just be replacements) and the shop that installs them assumes the liability, so it might take a few tries finding one that will install them.
Old 12-21-15, 10:23 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I dont want to get the wheels and tires from a local store because all of the local stores near me are "suspect".. I dont trust any of them and they dont have good reviews.. they are too ghetto..
You bet, and I know exactly what you mean. It was a pain trying to find a shop to install my FIGS rear upper control arms, ended up just having the dealership do it. Good luck.
Old 12-21-15, 11:01 AM
Kane007
Driver

You bet, and I know exactly what you mean. It was a pain trying to find a shop to install my FIGS rear upper control arms, ended up just having the dealership do it. Good luck.

I still dont know what I should do...
Old 12-21-15, 11:24 AM
jayemko
Rookie

I still dont know what I should do...
Well, what is your objective by purchasing tires of this size? Comfort, handling, or appearance?
Old 12-21-15, 11:42 AM
jayemko
Rookie

I dont want to go any lower than a 35 size tire, I was originally going for 19" inch wheels so that I can keep a 40 size tire but people me that this wont fit either.. so I was going to go to a 35 size tire.. then I thought, maybe I can get 20" rims and keep the 35 size tire so that is where I am at now..
I'm sorry, I have no idea why this didn't click for me (need coffee), who exactly said a 40 series tire on 19s wont fit??

OE size for an F-Sport AWD is 235/40/19, that is the exact tire size I run. I'm (F-Sport AWD) lowered on RSR*Superdowns, wheel spacers (for looks only, not to add inside rotational space), I'm at almost factory-exact alignment (rears yes, fronts off by small fraction) and I have zero rubbing. Running a 245 tire instead of a 235 would add 0.4 inches (10mm) to the overall width, so less than a quarter of an inch on each side. I have 20mm spacers in the rear making the outside edge location similar to where a 255-width tire would sit, and 15 mm on the front making the outside edge location theoretically similar to where a 250-width tire would sit. (offset and wheel width also have an effect, but not in this case).

You're fine if you want to run 245s on 19s. If you're wrong (making me wrong too) then buy 5mm wheel spacers to make your tires clear on the inside. By increasing width from 235 to 245 you're increasing by only 10 millimeters, 5 millimeters on each side of the wheel. Adding a 5mm spacer would take your inside edge back to factory if you rub.

Last edited by jayemko; 12-21-15 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clarifying F-Sport AWD
Old 12-21-15, 12:48 PM
Kane007
Driver

I'm sorry, I have no idea why this didn't click for me (need coffee), who exactly said a 40 series tire on 19s wont fit??

OE size for an F-Sport AWD is 235/40/19, that is the exact tire size I run. I'm lowered on RSR*Superdowns, wheel spacers (for looks only, not to add inside rotational space), I'm at almost factory-exact alignment (rears yes, fronts off by small fraction) and I have zero rubbing. Running a 245 tire instead of a 235 would add 0.4 inches (10mm) to the overall width, so less than a quarter of an inch on each side. I have 20mm spacers in the rear making the outside edge location similar to where a 255-width tire would sit, and 15 mm on the front making the outside edge location theoretically similar to where a 250-width tire would sit. (offset and wheel width also have an effect, but not in this case).

You're fine if you want to run 245s on 19s. If you're wrong (making me wrong too) then buy 5mm wheel spacers to make your tires clear on the inside. By increasing width from 235 to 245 you're increasing by only 10 millimeters, 5 millimeters on each side of the wheel. Adding a 5mm spacer would take your inside edge back to factory if you rub.
Im sorry I meant to say 245/40/19, not 235/40/19.. the tire I want doesnt come in 235/40/19.. CarID tells me that 245/40/19 would rub and same with 245/35/20. Also I cant use spacers since my car is AWD.. dont want to mess anything up.

I basically somehow just want someone to confirm if 245/35/20 tires would rub or hit the fenders or have any other issues like that.
Old 12-21-15, 12:57 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Im sorry I meant to say 245/40/19, not 235/40/19.. the tire I want doesnt come in 235/40/19.. CarID tells me that 245/40/19 would rub and same with 245/35/20. Also I cant use spacers since my car is AWD.. dont want to mess anything up.

I basically somehow just want someone to confirm if 245/35/20 tires would rub or hit the fenders or have any other issues like that.
Spacers wont mess anything up on AWD.
Old 12-21-15, 01:25 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an entire thread of aftermarket wheels/tires in this section.
Has tons of great info...and pics
Old 12-21-15, 01:28 PM
jayemko
Rookie

tl;dr: 245/35/20 will not rub fender, or will 245/40/19. Only 1/2 inch taller tire, from axle to fender. If the tire rubbed, this would mean you could not lower the GS 1/2 inch.

No I understood you correctly, I was clarifying the difference between the size you want (245/40/19) versus the factory size that CarID wants you to buy (235/40/19). I was detailed so that you would have confidence in your decision, instead of just saying "works, buy 'em." 245/35/20 and 245/40/19 have nearly identical dimensions, with only the sidewall being the difference. This is why CarID says the same for each of those tire sizes.

I edited my post to clarify that I have a F-Sport AWD, to remove any doubt as to what trim/package I have and am referring to.

Wheel spacers have no more impact on an AWD GS than they would a RWD GS. You can run wheel spacers. Some might argue against running different sizes like I do, in that case if you're worried just make sure they're all the same size (width). The circumference must be equal on all four tires to ensure that the surface of each tire rotates at the exact same rate as the other three. If the circumference in the rear is greater than the front (ex. larger/taller tires than the ones in the front), then the rear tires would move the car faster than the front tires, which would burn up a differential and/or an AWD system quickly.

I mentioned spacers not to imply they're required, but to give you piece of mind in knowing that if you're wrong it would not be a costly mistake. If the tires you buy somehow actually rub, you only need to move the tire 5mm to return the inside edge of the tire back to factory spec. We're only talking a change of 5mm from factory dimensions. In other words, $90 and an Amazon order would bail you out.
Old 12-21-15, 07:45 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going through this myself. To give you a short answer, 245/35/20 on all four corners will fit with no issues even with a mild drop. I was told that by the Wheel Mfg and the Wholesaler.

Note: Wheel size is 20x9 with 32MM offset.
Old 02-17-20, 06:41 PM
KRealist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine fit

245/35/20 fit perfect on mine, no rub 👍👍

Quick Reply: CarID is telling me that 245/35/20 tire size will not fit, will hit fenders.. true???