Garage Door Opener Range Substantially Reduced

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 11:34 PM
frazierwa
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Range Substantially Reduced

This may be in the category of; "Now I've heard everything!"

I've had my 2015 GS F-Sport since May and previously I could open the garage door reliably from about 100' from the garage door -- it is a clear 'line of sight' from the street to the garage. For the past week, I cannot open the door until I am within 15' to 20' of the door which means I have to wait for the door to open. I am used to being able to drive right into the bat cave with one fluid move.

Any ideas what might explain this change?

My wife's car can still open the door from about 100' so I don't think anything has changed with the garage door opener. The antenna wire on the opener is visible and is the same spot as it has been. Three buttons on my mirror are programmed to open the door (to give the wife multiple choice) and the range is the same on all three buttons.
Old 12-05-15, 05:54 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the problem is with the car's transmitter. I would let the dealer check it out.
Old 12-05-15, 08:46 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by rjm
Sounds like the problem is with the car's transmitter. I would let the dealer check it out.
Yes, I assume that the problem is with the transmitter or the antenna attached to the transmitter. I'm a little skeptical that the dealer will have a method of checking the output strength of the transmitter so I was hoping that someone had some experience with this issue to share so that I could provide some guidance to the dealer... you know how they love that!
Old 12-05-15, 09:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierwa

I've had my 2015 GS F-Sport since May and previously I could open the garage door reliably from about 100' from the garage door -- it is a clear 'line of sight' from the street to the garage. For the past week, I cannot open the door until I am within 15' to 20' of the door which means I have to wait for the door to open. I am used to being able to drive right into the bat cave with one fluid move.

Any ideas what might explain this change?

My wife's car can still open the door from about 100' so I don't think anything has changed with the garage door opener. The antenna wire on the opener is visible and is the same spot as it has been. Three buttons on my mirror are programmed to open the door (to give the wife multiple choice) and the range is the same on all three buttons.
Think about what may have changed in the past week. CFL and LED lamps in the door opener or house can disrupt or cause interference to the [likely 315 Mhz] signal. Computer Wi-Fi systems, baby monitors, radon fan motors, etc. can also cause signal disruptions, especially when nearby or directly over the door opener.
Old 12-05-15, 09:40 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Think about what may have changed in the past week. CFL and LED lamps in the door opener or house can disrupt or cause interference to the [likely 315 Mhz] signal. Computer Wi-Fi systems, baby monitors, radon fan motors, etc. can also cause signal disruptions, especially when nearby or directly over the door opener.
That's great advice... I know these things could be responsible for interference and are typically not considered. I 'swept' the area for any new or changed equipment and could not identify the culprit.

The range for the wife's car is unchanged so it appears to be isolated to the GS. If I was a paranoid individual, I could fear that the NSA has planted something in my car which is disrupting the signal. If they are tracking me, they are probably pretty bored at this point!
Old 12-05-15, 11:50 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The transmitter is in the mirror itself, at least that is the way they usually have it so perhaps they could swap it out, not sure why this may help but I would actually try repairing the remote to mirror then mirror the GDO, easy enough to try and reduces risk of damage to car with service
Old 12-05-15, 04:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, this happened to us also starting a couple of months ago. Identical symptoms as yours. I have no idea why.
Old 12-06-15, 08:37 AM
frazierwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Wow, this happened to us also starting a couple of months ago. Identical symptoms as yours. I have no idea why.
Ok, so if there are at least two of these reports in our small 'community' here, perhaps there is a known issue in Lexusland... Does anyone know how to determine if there is a service bulletin out that addresses this problem?
Old 12-06-15, 08:49 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Ok, so if there are at least two of these reports in our small 'community' here, perhaps there is a known issue in Lexusland... Does anyone know how to determine if there is a service bulletin out that addresses this problem?
There is no TSB on this...and do not expect one.

Also, do not expect a TSB on the satellite radio temporarily losing the signal from time-to-time.
Old 12-07-15, 03:43 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

This happend to me but I didn't think it was a problem that could be fixed by the dealer. The transmitter is on the mirror so that would mean replacing the mirror.
Old 12-07-15, 08:30 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Try the easiest trick first. Clear the mirror by pressing "1" and "3" till the HomeLink flashes fast.
Teach the mirror the opener frequency again. Relearn the house as you did before, press the
learn button (briefly or you will lose her car and the keypad!) and then repress your newly taught
button. Back out '100 and give it a try.
Obvious stuff, have you deep tinted the top edge of the windshield with metallic film?
Old 12-07-15, 05:02 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Try the easiest trick first. Clear the mirror by pressing "1" and "3" till the HomeLink flashes fast.
Teach the mirror the opener frequency again. Relearn the house as you did before, press the
learn button (briefly or you will lose her car and the keypad!) and then repress your newly taught
button. Back out '100 and give it a try.
Obvious stuff, have you deep tinted the top edge of the windshield with metallic film?
In my case nothing has changed.
Old 12-09-15, 04:37 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think it has anything with the homelink. All my cars dontt have range, better yet sometimes don't even work. It's has something to do with the garage opener. For the longest time it was weak, so I went out and bout a better garage opener and it's never failed since. My house is 3 years old and the builder uses cheaper garage openers.
Old 12-09-15, 12:25 PM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to me as well, couldn't open/close the door unless the mirror was directly underneath the opener.

My $0.02: Wife's physical opener had better range, and neighbor's Volvo was about in the middle. Our culprit? Somewhere, someone had a button stuck down on their opener (10 unit building). Since you're using Homelink go find your physical opener (stuff in some drawer someplace) and pull the batteries. This fixed our issue.
Old 02-01-16, 06:02 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You say "previously I could open the garage door" - just to confirm, you do mean with the same GS car? Can you pinpoint when it changed, and what was going on at the time?

I'm assuming that you have a multi-car garage with a single door that is controlled from either car??? The fact that your wife's transmitter still operates the opener at the greater range, does suggest that the problem is in your car. Have you added anything to your car near the mirror, like maybe a parking hang tag? it may have some metal in it, and that would affect the signal. Maybe added some kind of radio transmitter, like an EZPass? Anything on/near the sun visors?

Maybe there's a loose antenna wire in the mirror itself - actually, the door opener part? Maybe you can twiddle with the mirror aiming/positioning to resolve/identify that kind of problem.

Please do tell how this gets resolved...this is a really challenging puzzle.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Range Substantially Reduced