GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wheel Water Spots - Any resolution? F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 10:18 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Water Spots - Any resolution? F-Sport

So looking through the threads I don't see that Lexus has come up with a solid resolution to the F-Sport wheels and the water spot issues that so many of us have.

Has there been any solid resolution from anyone? I brought it up with my dealership and they said they talked to their detail guy and he can't get the spots off, "sorry".
Old 11-16-15, 10:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Clay them just like any other paint. Then wax to minimize build up.
Old 11-16-15, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

vinegar? clay?

if it's water spot there should be a way to take them off
Old 11-16-15, 12:31 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

It may not be water spot, it may be your paint getting messed up. The FSport wheels paint is very soft and there is no clear coat on them. Harsh chemical like scratch removers will strip the paint right off.

Clay is ok on the wheels but if clay doesn't remove the spot then the wheels need to be refinished.
Old 11-16-15, 12:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
So looking through the threads I don't see that Lexus has come up with a solid resolution to the F-Sport wheels and the water spot issues that so many of us have.

Has there been any solid resolution from anyone? I brought it up with my dealership and they said they talked to their detail guy and he can't get the spots off, "sorry".
This should have been posted in the 'Automotive Care & Detailing' forum.
Old 11-16-15, 07:34 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clay bar isn't really for removing water spots, you need a polish/swirl remover for that....
Old 11-17-15, 08:50 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think he may be talking about the water spots. When I got my car.. I noticed that the paint on the wheels looked odd.. I remember searching around on here and I found a thread from a while back where many people had the same issue. Nothing works.. polish, claybar, etc.. the only solution is to get them refinished and supposedly the factory insurance should cover it, but it depends on the dealership. I have yet to bring it up to a dealer yet, but I need to do that soon.

Do a search and look for the thread and make sure to reference the thread and be able to give the link and names of the people who have had the refinishing done on the wheels.
Old 11-17-15, 11:11 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a problem that only appears with F-Sport wheels, and is not a problem with how to clean your car rather it looks to be a reoccuring problem with the actual rims.

99 posts with multiple people reporting problems, most seem to either give up or found a dealer to refinish the rims, but it doesn't seem like anyone has touched this issue in awhile
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ble-spots.html

It seems like it's either a problem with the original sets of wheels that was later fixed, or people with newer F-Sport wheels haven't had their cars long enough to see a problem yet. When I first saw this post I didn't have any problems, but my car was only a few months old at that point.

I haven't gone to extreme lengths to try to clean the wheels, I'm a bit afraid based on ItzFilyO's experience with removing the paint.
Old 11-17-15, 11:18 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
This is a problem that only appears with F-Sport wheels, and is not a problem with how to clean your car rather it looks to be a reoccuring problem with the actual rims.

99 posts with multiple people reporting problems, most seem to either give up or found a dealer to refinish the rims, but it doesn't seem like anyone has touched this issue in awhile
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ble-spots.html

It seems like it's either a problem with the original sets of wheels that was later fixed, or people with newer F-Sport wheels haven't had their cars long enough to see a problem yet. When I first saw this post I didn't have any problems, but my car was only a few months old at that point.

I haven't gone to extreme lengths to try to clean the wheels, I'm a bit afraid based on ItzFilyO's experience with removing the paint.

Thanks!^ I'm going to try to drop by a dealer this week to see what they say.
Old 11-17-15, 11:46 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

2015 with 4600 miles & my only issue with the wheels is all the brake dust on the front wheels, so i have been cleaning the wheels weekly to prevent the dust adhering to the wheel.
I also have a "shower" water filter installed on my wash faucet connection. Which works great for minimizing water spots on paint & wheels.