GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Preferred Synthetic Oil Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 01:10 PM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't done my first oil change yet since ownership, but I will go with the OEM Toyota oil and filter. I believer they are priced pretty fairly unlike some of the European luxury car makers...
Old 08-15-17, 05:08 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use 5w-20 mobil 1. Seems to have quieted down the valve tick i was getting on 0w-20.
Old 08-16-17, 06:38 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will chime in here with my $0.02:

If your engine has Direct Injection and a Turbocharger, or even if it has only Direction Injection, the only choice right now in my opinion is Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It must be the "Annual Protection" variant of Mobil 1.

The reason is that this is the only oil I am aware of that is already compliant with the Dexos1 gen 2 standard that is readily available. It's expensive oil. The advantage of this is the Dexos1 gen 2 tests have tests for Low-Speed Pre-ignition, a problem that can be especially prevalent in Direction Injection engines with a Turbocharger. It can also happen in engines with Direct Injection without a turbocharger.

Amsoil is in the process of reformulating its engine oil to be compliant with this new standard, as well as others. The new version of Amsoil will be out next month (September) but Mobil 1's Annual Protection is already available.

The Mobil 1 Annual Protection is also excellent in other ways - a very high flash point, a very low pour point, and is a mid-SAPS oil, another characteristic that is beneficial to Direct Injection engines.
The following users liked this post:
vuong05 (08-16-17)
Old 08-16-17, 08:28 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Currently, there seems to be a $10 discount on Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W20 5qt at Walmart. However, the reviews for that oil in Walmart are not that great. Ref. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-A...-5-qt/55502860. Could not find that oil at Amazon.
Old 08-16-17, 09:58 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I personally don't think you need to use Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It is a new product and the reason why it is so expensive is because it is a predominantly a Group IV basestock hence the great flashpoint and pour points. I know of a lot of turbocharged and direct injected engines that do very well on a good synthetic 0w40(Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Castrol Edge) as long as you do reasonable OCI in the range of 10,000 miles or less. I used Royal Purple HPS 5w30 in my 2012 Audi A6 for years without an issue. The mainstream oils especially synthetic ones are so well made nowadays that you can pick out a jug for $25 at Walmart and do 10,000 mile OCI and most car engines will outlast the body and wheels. Just my 0.02.
Old 08-16-17, 02:03 PM
btanchors
Driver

Here is a little bit more info behind the Mobil 1 Annual Protection recommendation:

Studies have shown that Direct Injection engines GDI), and in particular, Direct Injection engines with turbochargers are susceptible to Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI). LSPI occurs so suddenly and unexpectedly, that traditional knock sensors do not function well enough. LSPI can be very severe and can easily damage pistons.

Further studies show that calcium, a common traditional additive (Detergent) in motor oil, greatly contributes to LSPI. The oils mentioned above, including Mobil 1 0W-40, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, and Castrol Edge, while all excellent oils, have a large amount of calcium in their additive packages, and therefore, are not ideally suited to GDI engines. Mobil re-formulated its oils a few years ago to use a combination calcium/magnesium detergent package, and therefore has much lower levels of calcium (by at minimum, a factor of two, and in some cases, compared with Amsoil signature, a factor of 3.5). This, in combination with M1 AP passing the Dexos 1 gen 2 specification, makes it ideally suited to GDI engines, and especially, GDI + turbocharger engines.

You're NOT going to "damage" your engines with any of the other oils mentioned. I simply state that the new Mobil 1 AP is better suited to engines equipped with GDI/turbochargers. Since most of us on this forum are probably seeking the best products to use in our vehicles, I submit the Mobil 1 AP is best for the reasons stated. I am using it in my 2017 GS350.

In my other 3 vehicles, a 2017 Tundra, a 2015 Tacoma, and a 2010 Camry, I've been using Amsoil signature - and I also used it in my previous Lexus, a 2003 GS430. None of those vehicles have an engine with GDI or turbochargers.

If I find the links to the studies I mentioned, I will try to post them here, but you can find them on bobistheoilguy.com.
Old 08-17-17, 05:33 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Those are all valid points and LSPI is the big rage right now. I understand that most well formulated oils contain a lot of calcium (~2500PPM range) but my point is that Mobil 1 annual protection has only been out for less than 6 months but there are a ton of cars out there with the GDI /turbo engines that run just fine on name brand synthetics. I just think that there is way too much made of LSPI. Use a name brand oil and a top tier gasoline, do sensible OCI's and I am willing to bet that the wheels fall off before anything happens to the engine or the pistons.

I have seen your posts on BITOG and enjoy reading them btanchors!
Old 08-17-17, 06:43 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

how about that tool to grab the oil filter, which one you guys use? amazon has a bunch of options
Old 08-17-17, 11:13 AM
Jrdonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybrand with 0w-20

Toyota oil, Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 0w-20 but do stay away from Penzoil Ultra Platinum and/or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. My car throttle response was like Buick/Prius when I used Penzoil Ultra Platinum and/or Mobil 1 Extended Performance since they may give you more protection with longer mileage but definitely you will lose the punch of the engine offer based on my own experience and it drove me crazy to figure out what is wrong. Just sharing my own experience.
Old 08-17-17, 07:28 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
how about that tool to grab the oil filter, which one you guys use? amazon has a bunch of options
I have a couple different ones but I like this one the best
Amazon Amazon

The thinner ones tend to get stuck to extensions but not a huge deal.
Old 08-17-17, 09:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I use German Castrol OW 30. It is a group 4 and pretty affordable if you can find it.
Old 08-18-17, 06:28 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Anyone have thoughts on High Mileage oils?
There is a Mobile 1 0w20 High Mileage formula.

HM oils supposedly contain additives to keep rubber seals from drying, cracking, and leaking as the engines age.
Is that ever even an issue for Lexii?
Old 08-18-17, 08:11 AM
btanchors
Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Anyone have thoughts on High Mileage oils?
There is a Mobile 1 0w20 High Mileage formula.

HM oils supposedly contain additives to keep rubber seals from drying, cracking, and leaking as the engines age.
Is that ever even an issue for Lexii?
I just sold my last Lexus - it was a 2003 GS430 with 120,000 miles. It did not burn or leak a drop of oil, even though it was 14 years old. In fact, I have NEVER had a Toyota vehicle burn or leak oil, and I have now owned about 12 Toyota and Lexus models. From my perspective, it's not an issue with Lexi or Toyotas in general.
Old 08-18-17, 08:45 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

25k intervals

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ASMQT-EA
Old 08-18-17, 09:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
I just sold my last Lexus - it was a 2003 GS430 with 120,000 miles. It did not burn or leak a drop of oil, even though it was 14 years old. In fact, I have NEVER had a Toyota vehicle burn or leak oil, and I have now owned about 12 Toyota and Lexus models. From my perspective, it's not an issue with Lexi or Toyotas in general.
All engines eventually leak/seals deteriorate, most will eventually burn some oil. My GS430 had a small valve gasket leak, worse in the winter for a couple years and I always used synthetic. There are some on the LS460 forum who have some engine burning oil issues and say it is pretty normal for that engine/car. Toyota/Lexus did have a pretty big issue with their older V6's in ES's and other models burning oil/sludge. Unless they are bad leaks/leaking on something that can fail or it is burning a lot of oil/turning to sludge it is generally not a issue other then annoying drops or having to add some oil.

Quick Reply: Preferred Synthetic Oil Choice?