Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^yikes
Old 09-24-15, 08:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the base system sounds good.
But if you're a bass head, like me....the ML won't satisfy your jones.
Every Lexus I've had I got the base system and added a sub and amp for around $500.
That's all it take to satisfy that bass jones.
Old 09-24-15, 08:41 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Every Lexus I've had I got the base system and added a sub and amp for around $500.
Yea, that's what I keep telling myself. A sub would be nice. Sometimes I like to rattle the car next to me.
Old 09-24-15, 09:17 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350

Do you upgrade any of the speakers or add on anything else? Like a sound processor? Curious because I plan on upgrading my base system really soon, but still kind of in the dark about what I should be looking for. Like I definitely wouldn't want to spend more than $1500. Preferably around $1k.
Old 09-24-15, 09:36 AM
MIK23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ML in my 14 GS350 and I usually like having strong bass in my cars and the ML is probably the hardest hitting bass I've had in any cars that I've owned. The bass hits pretty hard to my standards with electro/hip hop to the point that the mirrors will shake heavily and I hear/feel it from outside the car too.

When I get into my girlfriend's Benz C300, the bass is almost non existent so I'm very happy with the Mark Levinson. Never tried out the standard base audio but am curious to see how it is since people are saying the bass is stronger.

I had to have the dealer fix the window control area because of the vibration from the bass so they fixed that. Might be something you might want to ask your dealer to do also. It bothered me so much when I first got the car but was glad to find there was a fix for it.
Old 09-24-15, 10:00 AM
nicknoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have mentioned, there's a noticeable difference in clarity and dynamics with the ML over the stock audio (which btw is still pretty good). I think that comes from having more power on tap and the use of metal cone drivers over paper/silk. That being said, it still doesn't come close to approaching real audiophile level sound quality and there is massive rattling and vibration in the doors. However, for an OEM setup, I think it's quite good and a worthwhile upgrade funds permitting.
Old 09-24-15, 10:05 AM
nicknoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIK23
I have the ML in my 14 GS350 and I usually like having strong bass in my cars and the ML is probably the hardest hitting bass I've had in any cars that I've owned. The bass hits pretty hard to my standards with electro/hip hop to the point that the mirrors will shake heavily and I hear/feel it from outside the car too.

When I get into my girlfriend's Benz C300, the bass is almost non existent so I'm very happy with the Mark Levinson. Never tried out the standard base audio but am curious to see how it is since people are saying the bass is stronger.

I had to have the dealer fix the window control area because of the vibration from the bass so they fixed that. Might be something you might want to ask your dealer to do also. It bothered me so much when I first got the car but was glad to find there was a fix for it.
I sound deadened my door and covered all the service holes. That resulted in a pretty significant gain in up front bass, as well as eliminated the rattles.

To my ears, the ML has maybe a half octave better bass extension and cleaner output, but the stock setup has more boost in the mid/bass ~60hz region that may give the illusion of stronger bass.
Old 09-24-15, 11:08 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is all good info. My SC430 has great sound-stage imaging (all the extra speakers) and lack of distortion from soft to loud, although I am running a modern Pioneer touch-screen DVD head unit. For me, the ML provides more clean power, better frequency response across the audible bandwidth, and better imaging through the extra speakers than most non-audiophile car systems. During the airbag recall on my 430 the dealer gave me an RC350 -F-sport as a loaner. The ML system in that met my expectations and I think I'll try to get a GS350 with the ML system - but I'm definitely auditioning the base system before I exclude it. The GS350 is such a quiet car at cruising speeds that you can actually appreciate an upscale sound system.
Old 09-24-15, 11:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I believe the RC has the same ML as the GS, they both have 17 speakers too.
Old 09-24-15, 04:46 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

If I remember correctly, ML's THD is 0.01% which is superior to most sound systems in the market. I always wondered how it would sound in the GS and was thinking about getting it on my second GS. I had it for about a day, tried all the different settings including the one I have on my Premium. Imo the clarity is there but the road noise in the GS esp. in the F sport is so significant that that clarity is almost non existing to my ears. The minute I sat back in my previous GS with Premium system I noticed the sound is stronger, aka more bass as some claimed. I don't think it's worth it for me so I'm stuck with Premium. Still a happy camper.
Old 09-24-15, 08:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
This is all good info. My SC430 has great sound-stage imaging (all the extra speakers) and lack of distortion from soft to loud, although I am running a modern Pioneer touch-screen DVD head unit. For me, the ML provides more clean power, better frequency response across the audible bandwidth, and better imaging through the extra speakers than most non-audiophile car systems. During the airbag recall on my 430 the dealer gave me an RC350 -F-sport as a loaner. The ML system in that met my expectations and I think I'll try to get a GS350 with the ML system - but I'm definitely auditioning the base system before I exclude it. The GS350 is such a quiet car at cruising speeds that you can actually appreciate an upscale sound system.
I had 2 SC430's... an '03 and an '06. The ML system was fantastic. I had the ML system in my '13 GS F Sport and thought it was almost as good as the SC430's system but with more power. I drove loaners with the base system, and although it is good, it is not of the caliber of the SC430 or GS with ML. I don't think you will be happy with it coming from an SC430.
Old 09-24-15, 09:14 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default non ML

I just recently purchased a 4GS without the ML system and I can't believe how good it sounds. It has superior mid-tones and a nice tight bass when it hits. IMO I think it sound just as good as my friends 3GS with the ML system. Needless to say I am very impressed with the base system.
Old 09-24-15, 11:08 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Next year's base stereo is this year's Mark Levinson upgrade.
Old 09-27-15, 01:51 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Do you upgrade any of the speakers or add on anything else? Like a sound processor? Curious because I plan on upgrading my base system really soon, but still kind of in the dark about what I should be looking for. Like I definitely wouldn't want to spend more than $1500. Preferably around $1k.
a processor will cost u over 1k. especially if your going mosconi, audison bit one, helix dsp pro and the arc audio ps8. 1k can get u a loc, decent amp and sub. then your gonna need install.

Quick Reply: Base Audio vs Mark Levinson