GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Key and Programming Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 03:45 PM
DaGr8GatsB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key and Programming Costs?

Bought a 2013 GS350 last week. It only came with one key. So, I need a second key. How should I go about this?

Option 1: Buy new key from dealer and have them program it.

Option 2: Buy used key with matching FCC# on ebay and have a local locksmith program it. Would like the dealer to program it, but not sure if they would program a used key...

I would like to go the cheaper route. Need the money for my next monthly payment.
Old 08-17-15, 06:36 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Price both out.

Also check to see if a Toyota dealer can do it. I would personally play dealers off each other or try Toyota.
Old 08-18-15, 01:26 PM
DaGr8GatsB
Driver School Candidate

Just spoke to Lexus and they quoted me $315 for new key and programming.

Then, I told him that LexusPartsNow.com was selling a new key for $134.53. And a used key could be had from ebay for around $65.

I asked him how much it would cost for just programming, and he quoted me $50 but couldn't guarantee that it would work.

I'm wondering how they got the number $315?!?

So, it looks like I'm going to buy a used key with matching FCC# and have Lexus program it and my current key after they've deleted all existing keys first.
Old 08-18-15, 07:17 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGr8GatsB

Then, I told him that LexusPartsNow.com was selling a new key for $134.53. And a used key could be had from ebay for around $65.

I asked him how much it would cost for just programming, and he quoted me $50 but couldn't guarantee that it would work.

So, it looks like I'm going to buy a used key with matching FCC# and have Lexus program it and my current key after they've deleted all existing keys first.

$50 to program your key is pretty cheap. I think Nissan wanted $100+ when i lost one of my keys.
Old 08-18-15, 08:22 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a new key on ebay or lexuspartsnow and have dealer program it when you come in for oil change. That's way they can't charge you more than $50. eBay make sure the fob virgin never been programmed before. Don't lose your only 1 fob because it will cost your left arm for dealer to program the whole thing again.
Old 08-18-15, 10:29 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I was in the same situation as you, with just one key, and I just got a new key for my 2013 GS350 about a week ago. I want to say it was roughly $240. I got it from the dealer.

I had two options:

1) Get a key fob that is programmed to operate my car but does NOT have the physical key cut for my car

2) Get the key fob that is programmed to operate my car and ALSO has the physical key cut for my car

I chose option 2, which I know for sure was an $80 premium over option 1. The cost of option 1 is what I can't recall, but I believe it was roughly $165. If you are interested, I can pull my receipt tomorrow and tell you the exact costs.
Old 09-08-15, 06:40 PM
DaGr8GatsB
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I finally got my extra key. Here's how I did it:

New electronic fob through ebay but from OEM Lexus in Scottsdale. Cost: $140.00

New metal key pre-cut through ebay from 1010keys. Cost: $16.00

TIS Techstream and MVCI cable from AliExpress: Cost: $25.00

Total Costs: $181.00

Oh yeah, after doing all this, I found out that I could have bought a used fob instead of a new one. Also, I'm glad I programmed the fob myself because I can now customize the dealer settings too.
Old 09-09-15, 09:31 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay, I finally got my extra key. Here's how I did it:

New electronic fob through ebay but from OEM Lexus in Scottsdale. Cost: $140.00

New metal key pre-cut through ebay from 1010keys. Cost: $16.00

TIS Techstream and MVCI cable from AliExpress: Cost: $25.00

Total Costs: $181.00

Oh yeah, after doing all this, I found out that I could have bought a used fob instead of a new one. Also, I'm glad I programmed the fob myself because I can now customize the dealer settings too.
Nice! That seems pretty reasonable for a new key. My used 2013 Gs350 initially came with one key when I picked it up. Dealer said that many times they get the second key sent to them from previous owners/ lease companies. They said the same thing the first time I bought a used 2010 RX350 from them. Never got a call to pick up extra key. I guess they never got it. I wasn't expecting a call this time either, but I was super excited when I found out they had an extra key come in, along with the correct shift ****(previous owner had custom **** installed). I may go the same route as you for my RX.
Old 09-11-15, 09:26 AM
Meloy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have GS 2013 key nearly new,wrecked ,replaced with GS2013-both 350. Call at 352-323-8394.

Around 50.00 plus shipping.
Old 12-12-15, 02:57 PM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

I recently lost one of my GS-350 keyfobs. I have used TechStream v10.10.018 to customize settings on the car, but in drilling through all the settings and features, I didn't see any place that would let me configure a new key fob. Does anyone have a pointer on how I can do that?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 12-13-15, 10:40 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a virgin keyfob through eBay. Lexus dealerships won't program ones that have already been used. Some shops on eBay will cut your key for you. I remember there being a shop that I bought my keyfob from that cut my key for cheaper since I bought the keyfob from them. Set me back like $10 or so for the cutting. I forgot how much the keyfob cost, but it was a little over $100. Then programming should be around $60? Or so. Depends on the dealership, but they will price match.

Oh one more thing. If you have a really nice service manager then he can help you out with that too. Bring your virgin keyfob to the dealer and just say that the keyfob stopped working for some reason. They may cover it under warranty. So in total I spent around $110 or so for a new keyfob programmed

Make sure you check if it's G or AG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-BOARD-VIRG...BV6gmd&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AG-BOARD-VIR...BV6gmd&vxp=mtr

The same guy will cut your key for you too. He used to do it for cheaper hmm..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231628381578

Last edited by Prinny; 12-13-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 11:17 PM
DaGr8GatsB
Driver School Candidate

Been getting messages from people asking for key programming help. So, I just wanted to post some info to help people that lose their keys and want to program it themselves. So, here's what I found out:

With Techstream, you can program a NEW or USED key fob yourself. However, the key fob must have the same FCC number as the original (ECU compatibility issues).

I used Techstream version 10.10.018, but I think other versions will work as well because the guy in the youtube video linked below is using version 8.11.06.

The video is a tutorial on how to access the key programming menus and reprogramming the key.

Here is the link to the latest version of the Techstream (version 10.20.030):

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard...-Software.aspx

Please note that the MVCI cable usually comes with Techstream albeit an older version.

Here are the 2 links to the tutorials that I used to install Techstream onto my Windows 8 64 bit:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html

and

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

As for the MVCI cable, I want to clear up the controversy regarding which one to get. People have said that you need the MVCI cable with firmware version 2.0.4 to have K-line protocol. I want to say that there are no MVCI cables with K-line protocol and you DON'T need it to reprogram key fobs.

I bought 2 MVCI cables; one of the cables (from Amazon) contained firmware version 1.4.1 and the other cable (bought from Aliexpress) contained firmware version 2.0.4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W97K7O6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W97K7O6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...248128688.html

I tested both cables and they both are able to program smart keys. I want to repeat that the utility check function within Techstream states that both of these cables do NOT have K-line support, but the good news is that you don't need it to program keys. However, I can confirm that the PCB circuitry do look different from one another but doesn't seem to affect their functions.

Also, you can get these cables from ebay. I messaged a bunch of sellers on ebay to see which one of them were selling the cable with firmware version 2.0.4, and almost none of them knew what I was talking about. They thought I was talking about the Techstream version. However, one of the sellers understood what I was talking about; ebay seller named autotech365. He confirmed that he was selling the cable with firmware 2.0.4.

Anyways, I hope this helps. And good luck.
Old 05-22-16, 04:42 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Big thanks to DaGr8GatsB. I just reprogrammed two USED key FOBs. For those looking for more information about reprogramming used, please take a look this excellent tutorial from -Uknown- over on the Rav4 forums. The biggest hurdle for used is

1. Finding matching circuit boards.
2. Buying a Immobilizer reset code

For number one, I suppose I got lucky? I bought eBay FOBs. I made sure the FCC numbers matched, but the tutorial above states they must have matching circuit boards. When I opened them, the all matched with my original.

For number two, you either need to have a TechStream Security Professional license, or go through a middle man and pay $30 to generate the SEED code. I went through the middleman. It worked. Note: Be sure you have a middleman compatible version of TechStream. Compatible versions are listed on the page.

Bottom Line: Used key reprogramming is possible for an extra fee and hassle. Good luck!
Old 05-22-16, 06:37 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I just purchased a 2014 CPO from a Lexus dealer in Socal. They didn't give me a spare key but said that all certified Lexus cars have to come with one. They said I could go to any dealer and just have them get in contact with each other to handle the costs. Came to a dealer here in Norcal, price came out to $240 for the key fob and programming, paid for completely by the original dealer.

If your car is a CPO, definitely recommend you following up with the original dealer and looking into them covering your costs. If not, I'd buy the fob online and call dealers around your area getting estimates on programming. My experience is that these labor costs tend to differ by dealer.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-18, 08:59 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Been getting messages from people asking for key programming help. So, I just wanted to post some info to help people that lose their keys and want to program it themselves. So, here's what I found out:

With Techstream, you can program a NEW or USED key fob yourself. However, the key fob must have the same FCC number as the original (ECU compatibility issues).

I used Techstream version 10.10.018, but I think other versions will work as well because the guy in the youtube video linked below is using version 8.11.06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmY-yBvYCvg

The video is a tutorial on how to access the key programming menus and reprogramming the key.

Here is the link to the latest version of the Techstream (version 10.20.030):

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard...-Software.aspx

Please note that the MVCI cable usually comes with Techstream albeit an older version.

Here are the 2 links to the tutorials that I used to install Techstream onto my Windows 8 64 bit:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html

and

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

As for the MVCI cable, I want to clear up the controversy regarding which one to get. People have said that you need the MVCI cable with firmware version 2.0.4 to have K-line protocol. I want to say that there are no MVCI cables with K-line protocol and you DON'T need it to reprogram key fobs.

I bought 2 MVCI cables; one of the cables (from Amazon) contained firmware version 1.4.1 and the other cable (bought from Aliexpress) contained firmware version 2.0.4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...248128688.html

I tested both cables and they both are able to program smart keys. I want to repeat that the utility check function within Techstream states that both of these cables do NOT have K-line support, but the good news is that you don't need it to program keys. However, I can confirm that the PCB circuitry do look different from one another but doesn't seem to affect their functions.

Also, you can get these cables from ebay. I messaged a bunch of sellers on ebay to see which one of them were selling the cable with firmware version 2.0.4, and almost none of them knew what I was talking about. They thought I was talking about the Techstream version. However, one of the sellers understood what I was talking about; ebay seller named autotech365. He confirmed that he was selling the cable with firmware 2.0.4.

Anyways, I hope this helps. And good luck.
You would think the ECU would be able to receive and register and store any key or board fcc or any frequency of the chip board to put into its memory. I.e. using a 2006 fob for a 2017 model. Or using a 2013 fob on a 2007 car.

Quick Reply: New Key and Programming Costs?