GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hardwire Valentine V1 radar

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 10:10 AM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardwire Valentine V1 radar

So I just bought a V1 radar and the only power source being in the center console is quickly becoming a huge PIA. It did come with a hardwire kit with 12v snap in connectors. Any easy way to install this myself?
Old 08-05-15, 10:15 AM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

its just a 12v and ground wire. Anything that would be safe to tap into that's near the rearview mirror?
Old 08-05-15, 10:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Our Search feature can be your friend.

HERE is just one of many threads that may help you.
Old 08-05-15, 11:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm too chicken to splice wires so I run mine from the center console all the way to the windshield and I do the same thing for my dash cam too. I'm old skool.

If I tap it and something goes wrong I could never forgive myself for ruining this amazing machine.
Old 08-05-15, 12:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm too chicken to splice wires so I run mine from the center console all the way to the windshield and I do the same thing for my dash cam too. I'm old skool.

If I tap it and something goes wrong I could never forgive myself for ruining this amazing machine.
I have no problem locating and tapping into 'switched' 12 volt wiring once I get to the wiring.

The problem I have is actually getting to the wiring. I don't like the idea of prying the trim parts off because those fasteners and clips can easily break. Oftentimes there is sequence or method to removing various pieces of trim, such as sliding a piece of trim first before the fastener releases. The last thing I want to do is to break fasteners or clips, which results in damaged trim pieces, or loose fitting trim pieces that both look bad and rattle. If I can obtain specific and detailed information, which makes me feel very comfortable in what I will find and how to do it, then I'm reasonably okay with tearing into the trim pieces. But, I do not like going into something like tearing off trim *****-nilly, not having any clue what damage I'll leave behind...
Old 08-05-15, 01:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have no problem locating and tapping into 'switched' 12 volt wiring once I get to the wiring.

The problem I have is actually getting to the wiring. I don't like the idea of prying the trim parts off because those fasteners and clips can easily break. Oftentimes there is sequence or method to removing various pieces of trim, such as sliding a piece of trim first before the fastener releases. The last thing I want to do is to break fasteners or clips, which results in damaged trim pieces, or loose fitting trim pieces that both look bad and rattle. If I can obtain specific and detailed information, which makes me feel very comfortable in what I will find and how to do it, then I'm reasonably okay with tearing into the trim pieces. But, I do not like going into something like tearing off trim *****-nilly, not having any clue what damage I'll leave behind...
That's another thing, everything looks so tightly snapped together can could break off once u start forcing it out.
Old 08-05-15, 01:32 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

get the item that connects to your ODBII port. That is how mine is wired
Old 08-05-15, 01:35 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what are your guys experiences with radar detectors, do they work? have they prevented you from getting tickets? interested in hearing everyones experiences

thanks
MEAHT
Old 08-05-15, 01:39 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I still got one but it was too late cause he clocked me going 119MPH. I was going A LOT faster than that before my radar started going crazy. I had a gold PBA family card which got me out of speeding ticket but he gave me a seat belt, tint, no front plate tickets instead
Old 08-05-15, 02:28 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine hard wired to the rain sensor for over two years now. I used a "wire tap" and just ran the plug ins to the rain sensor and didn't have to remove anything but the overhead console. It's reliable and hasn't caused any problems at all. I also used a blend mount for the detector mount. Works like a champ!
Old 08-05-15, 02:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MEAHT
what are your guys experiences with radar detectors, do they work? have they prevented you from getting tickets? interested in hearing everyones experiences

thanks
MEAHT
Yes, as long as ur not the first one they clocked going over the speed limit.

The whole idea of this is to let the cars ahead of u get clocked and give u time to slow the hell down and hopefully when it's ur turn to get clocked u are already at the speed limit.
Old 08-05-15, 02:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MEAHT

thanks
MEAHT
A radar signal is like a beam of light from a flashlight. When police 'shine' their radar on your car it is 99% of the time too late for your radar detector to prevent you from it getting a good reading. Radar detectors look for radar beams in hope of finding them before they can return a strong enough reflection to detect your speed. However, the radar that police use today is very sophisticated - being able to not send out the radar's microwave signal until your vehicle is only close enough for them to detect your speed (whether he is on-the-move or stopped).

Today's radar also uses a stronger microwave pulse to reach longer distances too. Gone are the days that the radar sends out a constant signal to be detected by a motorist's radar detector when the radar's signal is still too weak to detect your speed. You might get very lucky and have your radar detector catch a signal directed at another car before your car is detected, but don't count on that luck happening very often. Once your radar detector lets you know that it has detected a radar signal you have about a nanosecond to react. Good luck with that!
Old 08-05-15, 03:44 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The V1 detection is very strong, it can pick up signal from miles away even on hills area. But it's still best to drive close to the speed limit.
Old 08-05-15, 06:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Don't Mess With TEXAS!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-05-15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 06:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Damn 85. I'm lucky if I can go more than 30 mph in the gotdamn socal traffic.

Quick Reply: Hardwire Valentine V1 radar