GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013-14 GS350 or 2014 ACURA RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 05:30 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised about the bias toward GS in a Lexus forum. I test drove the RLX before choosing my GS. I first saws the RLX at an auto show. It was silver. I thought it was one of the most beautiful sedans I'd ever seen (I'm not a fan of the GS FSport front end). The RLX had two things clearly superior to the GS: Roominess (it's like the LS) which was impressive, and tech. But the RLX is not a sports sedan (neither is the LS). It felt floaty on the road, and it does have a largely bland image. To me its the Japanese Buick. Acura's big mistake was putting SH-AWD only in the Hybrid. The RLX should've come out with SH-AWD from the beginning in the pure gas model which was 10K-12K cheaper than the Hybrid. It would've sold a lot better.

Where some of your opinions are way off is when you denigrate Acura quality. I think Acuras are at least as reliable as Lexus, if not slightly better. I have 120K miles on my 2008 RDX-Tech w/SH-AWD and Turbo. I've driven the car hard, and have done nothing to it except oil changes and two sets of new tires. It came with gold lettering which hasn't even turned slightly off color. It looks brand new and I've kept it outside in the driveway in year-round elements. No rust, and not the slightest squeak or rattle. That's impressive. At the same time, my 2013 4GS just went through 20K checkup and one of the shocks is leaking. I have to wait a week for them to order and ship a replacement shock absorber. I realize Lexus isn't GM, but to not have a part like that in stock is disappointing and weird. But I do love my GS.

Last edited by Trek; 05-23-15 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 12:47 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trek
Where some of your opinions are way off is when you denigrate Acura quality. I think Acuras are at least as reliable as Lexus, if not slightly better. I have 120K miles on my 2008 RDX-Tech w/SH-AWD and Turbo. I've driven the car hard, and have done nothing to it except oil changes and two sets of new tires. It came with gold lettering which hasn't even turned slightly off color. It looks brand new and I've kept it outside in the driveway in year-round elements. No rust, and not the slightest squeak or rattle. That's impressive. At the same time, my 2013 4GS just went through 20K checkup and one of the shocks is leaking. I have to wait a week for them to order and ship a replacement shock absorber. I realize Lexus isn't GM, but to not have a part like that in stock is disappointing and weird. But I do love my GS.
It seems we all have our own experiences (and tastes), but we all ended up here one way or another. I know with myself and ItzFilyO, we had Hondas that were made in the last few years, not in 2008. I still have a 2001 Acura CL in the family who's biggest problem was a headlight bulb that went out.
Old 05-24-15, 11:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
What's Acura's best sound system? I wonder how it compares to our ML system.
KRELL, it is better then ML, it is the best auto sound system on the market. It is really unfortunate that you can only get it on the highest trim RLX. Acura should really make KRELL available on the TLX and MDX if not make it standard on some models like they did with the excellent ELS DVD-A system in the 04-08 TL .
Old 05-24-15, 11:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanC
If you could find an RLX Sport Hybrid (SH-SH-AWD) - and it was the same/similar price as a GS, I think you should test drive / consider it. It should handle better than the FWD RLX. But they are really hard to find - Acura even discontinued it for 2016 I believe.

I think if you're comparing the FWD RLX to the RWD GS or even AWD GS you're going to find the GS drives a lot better. The only area where the RLX does better is in gas mileage thanks to its FWD configuration and other features (like cylinder deactivation).

Most folks who sit in my GS though are super impressed by the interior, I'm certainly biased because I own one - but I've never gotten so many compliments on the car's interior before - the RLX materials and fit & finish are really good, but it has the same look as every other Acura.

This is the 2016 ILX:

This is the 2014 RLX:
They may have a similar look in pictures but when you sit in them they are a night and day difference in quality, materials, attention to detail with the RLX being leagues ahead. The ILX interior is just decent while the RLX is very nice but I am no fan of the touchscreen system.
Old 05-24-15, 12:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krava
I responded to this in another one of your threads but will do it here. I have NO brand loyalty at all so I don't care about one brand over the other. I have had 3 Lexus cars. 1992 ES300 (2001-2004), 2001 GS400 (2005),2006 GS300 AWD (2009-2015). I have had 3 acura's. 2001 TL-s (2001), 1998 acura NSX supercharged widebody (2001-2005), 2014 acura RLX advanced (May 2015).

I will some it up the way I see it. If you buy new there isn't a choice you get the GS because the GS is the best value and the resale value of the RLX is really bad and takes a huge hit the first year. This is what you do if you buy New in my opinion.

Now if you buy Used this is where it gets tough. Lets say your goal is the Upper 30's for what you want to spend. For the Mid to Upper 30's you can get either a Low mileage RLX advanced or a 2013 GS350 with 20K+ miles on it, (lower miles the higher in the 30's you go). I am referring to a CPO GS350. When comparing these cars I saw 2 RLX's one with 14K miles for $39K and then one with 6K for $38,800. The one for $39K was in Arkansas and I talked them down to $37 over the phone and that was the Mercedes dealership in Arkansas. That one had a bug guard on it. I waited too long to get that one someone came in from Chicago and got it. The next one was in Alabama they wanted $38,800 and I talked them down to $36,500. I didn't know it but it has $1000 more worth of options on it such as remote start, rear spoiler, mud guards etc. I chose the RLX over the GS because bascailly that car was just 1 year old that month and had almost no miles so to me that is like having a brand new car for close to 1/2 the MSRP. For me to get a Lexus. I wanted a blindspot monitor, Luxury package, maybe mark levingston, I would have to setting for a 3 year old lexus (2012 sold date, and have 20k+ miles and I found several CPO's around $37,700 (grapevine Park Place Dallas). I do prefer the look of the GS but to me the interiors of them are both are close. GS is a little better but not major better. The RLX Krell System kills the Mark Levingston (I drove to dallas to get into one just to test it).

So to some it up when we are talking about USED cars. I suggest getting atleast the TECH and would go straight to Advanced if I were you.

RLX Positives vs GS:
Better sound system then the Lexus
Better Gas Mileage
More "Tech" for the price (couldn't find ANY lexus close to the tech that the advanced RLX has in it at any price).
More Room inside
Extremely Rare (One reason I like it, Never seen one anywhere yet Only 12 for sale in a 500 square mile radius of me)
Fold Up Mirrors (GS doesn't have until 2014 models)

RLX negatives VS GS:
Turing Radius (hard to maneuver in the parking lot vs GS)
Bland Styling
Lower Status Symbol (Lexus is a premium brand, acura is just so so)
Not as Fun to drive, more of a cruiser like the LS, not that sporty
Cannot be modded (not sure of it haven't looked into it but don't think it can)
Resale Value the 1st year (no way the resale value can drop like it did in the first year)

There might be more but I am writing this fast and I have things to do. I had my 2006 GS 300 when I bought ththe RLX 2014. if I didn't have my 2006 GS (it got totaled 4 days ago), I would have changed my mind and ended up with a loaded out 2013 GS 350 from grapevine Lexus because I want to "show off" in the future when I get this weight off. Kind of hard showing off the RLX. If I wanted to show off I could have shown off in the highly modded 2006 I had. I made the decision basically solely on "best bang for the buck". I still would have made that decision. The #1 on my list was Reliablity. I wanted a car that could go 100K 200K miles with no problems both Honda and Toyota to me are the same. That is why BMW, Mercedes, Audi didn't get choosen. the 2006 lexus I had, I had 1 repair in 150K miles. All of the acura RL's I have heard about never need fixing either. There is a lot of TSB's for them but not anything major.

Hopefully some of this helps. I Have driven the RLX several days now and like it each time I get into it. The next car I get if I get one soon will be a 2016 GSF in 2-3 years after it comes out. I will trade the RLX in for it or I will just keep the RLX, depending on the price of the GSF is at that time.
That is a good and fair comparison on a Lexus forum where there will obviously be a Lexus bias when comparing the two. I do have to disagree a little with the bland styling. The RLX does have pretty bland styling but I think a non F sport GS has just as bland styling too. Neither are really lookers but the F sport adds some nice aggression to the GS and what I would go with if getting a GS. They actually look pretty similar to me in at many angles, the RLX is chunkier and the rear tail light treatment is not very good looking. The RLX engine is a gem though, once you get moving it has so much creamy, smooth, power and it is very quiet when cruising but it can't get a good launch because of fwd so it does not have the best 0-60(I have seen it do 0-60 in 5.8 sec in one test.
Old 05-24-15, 02:30 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Shouldn't you be testing out the ES350 or avalon instead?
Old 05-24-15, 04:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I thought the RLX should be compared to the LS460 and MB S-Class and BMW 7 Series right? That car is considered full size and should be in their territory right?

The TLX is in the GS, E Class, and 5 Series territory right?
Old 05-24-15, 04:59 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I thought the RLX should be compared to the LS460 and MB S-Class and BMW 7 Series right? That car is considered full size and should be in their territory right?

The TLX is in the GS, E Class, and 5 Series territory right?
I never thought Acura compares to any other rwd luxury brand, even their best. I would compare them to avalons, es, maxima, and all the other fwd models.

...Except for s2000 and nsx.

Last edited by sam430; 05-24-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 05:10 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They may have a similar look in pictures but when you sit in them they are a night and day difference in quality, materials, attention to detail with the RLX being leagues ahead. The ILX interior is just decent while the RLX is very nice but I am no fan of the touchscreen system.
I agree - I actually said in my original post the materials, fit/finish are much better in the RLX.

I've sat in the RLX, the materials are nice - but they do look alike.

My wife has a 2014 MDX, I agree the dual touchscreen system isn't great.

Its just a shame the regular RLX imho isn't a very enticing car. I think the SH-SH-AWD model offers something different - most hp from an Acura sedan, hybrid AWD powetrain with good gas mileage - but the regular RLX doesn't offer anything that I'm interested in (Krell for audiophiles, but if you're not an audiophile?).
Old 05-24-15, 06:45 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

funny, I'm debating almost the same thing myself.. just TLX instead of RLX
For what it's worth, i hear the 8 speed auto is getting better reviews/feedback than the 9 speed auto. So if you're getting an SH-AWD it would be a 9 speed i believe.

and just to touch on Honda turning radius: my TL radius is a joke, and my wifes AWD element is the best
Old 05-24-15, 07:43 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
funny, I'm debating almost the same thing myself.. just TLX instead of RLX
For what it's worth, i hear the 8 speed auto is getting better reviews/feedback than the 9 speed auto. So if you're getting an SH-AWD it would be a 9 speed i believe.

and just to touch on Honda turning radius: my TL radius is a joke, and my wifes AWD element is the best
I drove a TLX 4cyl with the 8-speed Dual Clutch as a loaner (took wife's MDX into the dealership).

The 8-speed transmission is weird. It can be fun - but it has some strange problems. For example, if you let off the gas to coast - like you might when a light is red and no traffic around and then the light turns green and you step on the gas - the transmission "bangs" into gear, it feels like someone hit you from behind it is so rough. I also tried passing someone on a 4-lane road, moved into the left lane while flooring it - and the car didn't start accelerating. It took a few seconds for the car to downshift.

A look on the AcuraZine TLX Problem & Fixes forum and you'll see lots of people with problems with the 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions, but the 8-speed seems to have more issues.

I drove the v6 TLX (FWD, SH-AWD wasn't out when I test drove) - and I wasn't impressed. Don't like the looks of the TLX, but to each his own. More than that though something about the way the TLX drove - I just didn't like it compared to the GS. I think it is the double wishbone suspension on the GS versus Macpherson Struts on the TLX. Of course - the TLX is a cheaper car price wise, a fully loaded TLX is cheaper than a GS F-Sport without any of the extra features a TLX Advanced gets you. It also gets much better gas mileage compared to the GS.
Old 05-24-15, 08:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

That 9 speed tranny must be gear hunting all day long.

I still think the 8 speed on my GS is unnecessary! We only need 6 really.. Yeah yeah 1-2 MPG extra but still, it's too many gears! lol

When I drive in M mode I use the 7th gear as my cruising gear to keep the RPM low. Never use the 8th, never really find the need to use it, even though it lowers the RPM just a bit more but it's a hassle if u need to downshift. lol
Old 05-24-15, 08:38 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I drove a TLX 4cyl with the 8-speed Dual Clutch as a loaner (took wife's MDX into the dealership).

The 8-speed transmission is weird. It can be fun - but it has some strange problems. For example, if you let off the gas to coast - like you might when a light is red and no traffic around and then the light turns green and you step on the gas - the transmission "bangs" into gear, it feels like someone hit you from behind it is so rough. I also tried passing someone on a 4-lane road, moved into the left lane while flooring it - and the car didn't start accelerating. It took a few seconds for the car to downshift.

A look on the AcuraZine TLX Problem & Fixes forum and you'll see lots of people with problems with the 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions, but the 8-speed seems to have more issues.

I drove the v6 TLX (FWD, SH-AWD wasn't out when I test drove) - and I wasn't impressed. Don't like the looks of the TLX, but to each his own. More than that though something about the way the TLX drove - I just didn't like it compared to the GS. I think it is the double wishbone suspension on the GS versus Macpherson Struts on the TLX. Of course - the TLX is a cheaper car price wise, a fully loaded TLX is cheaper than a GS F-Sport without any of the extra features a TLX Advanced gets you. It also gets much better gas mileage compared to the GS.
great info
thank you
Old 05-25-15, 03:45 PM
krava
Lead Lap

If you are comparing TLX to GS. If you are buying new go with the TLX. If you are buying Used your crazy not to get a GS. That is the way I see things. you can get a good pretty well equipped GS for around $37K CPO 100K warranty. A used TLX you might get 4-5K off if that. the lexus was around $57-58K when new and your getting a good deal on it.
Old 05-27-15, 12:21 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Default thanks

Big thanks to everyone for taking the time to share and help, I gain so much knowledge from members like u all.
I really appreciate it..