GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the GS so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 09:26 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tknx
Oopos, sorry I meant C-class. which is a smaller car, but has gotten much nicer since the CLA takes the low end for MB.
Yup, the new C-class interior rocks. The interior is the best I've seen in its class and even a class above. Crazy. Two things tho: smaller than the GS, and the reliability is still an unknown.
Old 04-20-15, 09:42 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Because people are silly, the car is gorgeous.
Old 04-20-15, 10:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

C300 good looking outside and inside, very powerful 2.0 turbo, and reasonably slick for a four, with very good ride and handling.
However, I haven't gotten over my 2002 C Class 90 degree V6's repair history. Only 66,000 miles in 13 years, yet the heater cost me $3.5k, the ignition switch cost me $2.9k, the alternator cost me $1.5k, and so far I'm not interested in spending $4.5k to replace the air con. The plastics on the steering wheel, dash and door trims have all "melted", or weeping oil, or whatever you call it.
About to trade in this old C Class for 2015 4GS...
Old 04-21-15, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I drove the C Class, its very nice but not anything I would consider replacing the GS with. Its MUCH smaller, and also not as refined or solid feeling.
Old 04-21-15, 03:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

ES: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
Genesis: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

Hyundai Genesis is only ES' price, yet ES sells 72k/year, while Genesis only sells 30k/year, while Q70 & XF sell 5k a piece.

Infiniti Q70: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/01...sa-canada.html
Jag XF: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

Unless we do an "objective" survey on all the real buyers, no one will really/truly know why each model sells in such quantities.

Keep in mind that:
1) Consumers tend to focus on badge and exterior styling the most.
2) Consumers generally notice the exterior styling much more than the interior styling.

So, subjectively, off the "top" of my head, I'd say that:

Genesis doesn't have the name or styling of ES.

Infiniti has both name and styling problems.
While Jag has name problem, and is too small inside.

E & 5 don't look flash outside, but E & 5 have the badge and that extra bit of lift in their styling needed to sell 70K & 50K units/year respectively.
4GS name only falls short of Benz and Beamer, so 4GS only needs a "lift" in exterior styling to sell like old 3GS back in 2005 & 2006 which managed to pass 33k & 27k respectively.
Btw, mass consumers are less interested in extremes in horsepower.
Mass consumers are also not that keen on V8's either; so a V8 is great for enthusiasts, but won't sell that many to the mass public - most of those E & 5's are four cylinder turbos!

Hopefully this has addressed the OP's concerns.
Ultimately, it's up to the individual buyer whether they want to go it alone, or follow the masses.
Enthusiasts tend to go it alone.

Btw, does anyone know what happened to Sicklex/LexFather with >70k posts???
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-23-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 07:30 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

BMW's and Mercedes sell more because their cars don't stay on the road as long and people need to upgrade sooner. :-)
Old 04-22-15, 03:49 AM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
And frankly, Toyota's sporting attempts are good, but not great - they always f something up.
Nice pun, not sure if intentional or not, that was one thing that bothered me was lexus simply took a decent car and just F'd it up and added a bigger rpice tag (simply adding f sport badging and styling que's).
Old 04-22-15, 08:06 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
BMW's and Mercedes sell more because their cars don't stay on the road as long and people need to upgrade sooner. :-)
Most BMW and Benz owners I know do not want to put up with the high cost of maintenance so they lease or trade it off before the time comes.
Old 04-22-15, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Why is the GS so unpopular?
The existence of the ES

That's ok though, less GS's on the road make it more special than the dime a dozen 5-Series and E-Class
Old 04-22-15, 12:24 PM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jmoney6;9010739]Nice pun, not sure if intentional or not, that was one thing that bothered me was lexus simply took a decent car and just F'd it up and added a bigger rpice tag (simply adding f sport badging and styling que's).[/QUOTE

Can't agree. The suspension/brake/interior/drive mode upgrades make a better performance model in every case and seem pretty cost effective to me. If you don't like F Sports, don't buy them!
Old 04-22-15, 12:26 PM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=gsct;9011372][quote=jmoney6;9010739]nice pun, not sure if intentional or not, that was one thing that bothered me was lexus simply took a decent car and just f'd it up and added a bigger rpice tag (simply adding f sport badging and styling que's).[/quote

Can't agree. The suspension/brake/interior/drive mode upgrades make a better performance model in every case and seem pretty cost effective to me. If you don't like f sports, don't buy them!
Old 04-22-15, 02:27 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney6
Nice pun, not sure if intentional or not, that was one thing that bothered me was lexus simply took a decent car and just F'd it up and added a bigger rpice tag (simply adding f sport badging and styling que's).
You clearly know nothing about the GS F Sport.
Old 04-22-15, 04:38 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
To each their own.

Maybe we should stop wondering what other people think and listen to what we think.

Freedom of choice.
Yes and yes, freedom of (smart) choice. Interior, built quality and reliability sold me. I don't need to have more things to think about when I'm out of the office. I may end up with another 4GS. After almost 3 years I still think it's the best in its class.
Peteharvey,
For some reason I thought you already have a 4GS. Look forward to to seeing your new ride.
Old 04-24-15, 05:58 AM
hkhours
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I also think the dash and console is the best-looking in its class. And if the consumer wanted a less sterile exterior/interior styling the Infiniti Q70 would be selling like hotcakes.

I think the primary reasons for low sales are lagging awareness of what the brand stands for (people still think Lexus is soft and for older folks) and having a similarly sized, less expensive car (the ES) in its lineup. Most consumers don't care that the GS and ES drive differently or that one is RWD vs. FWD because it is still a Lexus.

Mercedes has the CLS, Audi has the A7 and BWM has the 6 Gran Coupe, but all are more expensive than their more pedestrian sedan counterparts. Lexus has the ES.
Lexus has the RC.
Old 04-24-15, 07:17 AM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some simple requirements and Lexus GS ended up being the only option
I wanted a midsize luxury car.
A reliable car (so no Audi, BMW, Mercedes )
RWD or AWD with minimum 300 HP.

The, Lexus GS was the only car that seemed to meet all these criteria’s.

But honestly, even today, when I see one in the street, it’s still pretty difficult to distinguish between an ES and a GS….That was a big downside in my decision making, but again, no other cars seemed to meet my criteria’s.

Quick Reply: Why is the GS so unpopular?