GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting. That I should lease a used 2015 GS?
No, meaning that you should't be bothered by the refresh 2016 being a little different than the 2015. The 2015 has great deals now, I'd pull the trigger on it.

Originally Posted by rominl
the gs is a good car, but i have to be honest and say the LS is a lot better, i don't feel the gs is 90% of the LS unless i care more about the driving dynamics
I mean, I'm getting ready to pony up the cash and make the move from the GS to the LS, but I honestly feel that the GS is 90% there. Perhaps its because I have a luxury package GS vs the premium package/base car, so I have the better leather, seats, better wood trim, extra tech goodies and the better suspension, but driving them back to back...yes the LS is better, but after getting back into the GS, I didn't feel like the GS was considerably inferior. My GS rides beautifully, its very quiet inside, the interior is beautiful and very high quality, the seats are great (better actually, thats the one thing I will miss), all the displays and readouts are the same.

Like I said, when I was driving the LS I felt like I had to have it, once I was back in the GS I kind of felt like I didn't really. I think I'm going to do it, its the logical step for me and its what I ultimately want...but even having had the LS and comparing them back to back, I could happily stay in the GS.
Old 05-05-15, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

don't get me wrong, in no way am i trying to say the gs is inferior, it's a very good car. but the LS just carries that much more tech, size, gadgets, and status. and i think status has a lot to do with it anyway when you go up the ladder in luxury cars
Old 05-05-15, 10:22 PM
jaime1982
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read all this thread and was in the exact same predicament as the op. All I wanted was a nice family car that looks sharp and can haul tail if/when I needed it to for under 60k. All the same cars on your first post were on the list and we ended up with the 15 Gs350 F-sport a week ago and are pretty happy with it so far.
Old 05-05-15, 10:45 PM
bahaia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jaime1982, very pleased with the gs 350 f sport!!!
Old 05-05-15, 11:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Isn't the LS going to get refreshed soon too?
Old 05-06-15, 05:52 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think so. And as much as I like the car, it needs an all new update as the last one was not really all that big of a change. My biggest single complaint is that it does not feel like a car with nearly 400 hp.
Old 05-06-15, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

don't get me wrong, in no way am i trying to say the gs is inferior, it's a very good car. but the LS just carries that much more tech, size, gadgets, and status. and i think status has a lot to do with it anyway when you go up the ladder in luxury cars
No question about the status and the presence on the road, that means a lot when you get into that segment. But, when you take the intangibles out of it, the GS really is 90% as good a car as the LS.

Tech and gadgets, in the price range I'll be in (~$80k) I actually will wind up with a car with LESS tech and gadgets than my GS. No AVS, no multi-contour seats, no rear audio/climate controls, no rear sunshades, maybe no semi-aniline leather (its a very low cost option on the LS, its a matter of finding one).

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Likely an all new LS in 2017. I'm not really worried about having the latest model of the LS though. Part of that "flagship" status and appeal negates some of the appeal of having the latest model. I still look at prior generations of the LS and appreciate them in a way I don't other models. Same with say an S Class or a 7 Series.

Part of it too is that I realize that I'm at a point where my window to lease/purchase an LS is drawing to a close. There are limits to what I will pay for a car, I'm not going to buy/lease a car much over $80k, I'm not going to make 4 figure lease payments. Its not about not being able to, its a question of value. You can get incredible cars for $80-85k and below, and I'd rather buy a vacation condo, a boat, whatever.

Anyways, right now because the LS is so slow moving at at the end of its lifecycle I have an opportunity to get one for what my upper limit is when it comes to a price for a car. The S Class is over that level, and the A8 is too, as will be the new 7 when it comes out. Really the only two flagship cars that aren't are the LS and the XJ.

Once the all-new LS comes out, its going to be over that price point...and I'm going to be priced out. Plus, the talk is about moving the LS more dynamic and thats not really what I want out of the car.

I could see myself leasing the LS, and then buying it, depreciating it twice for taxes and keeping it a long time.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-06-15 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-06-15, 01:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you are right, actually i thought about it and from a price point a view, it's hard to beat on the gs. it really has a lot to do with the gs lease. with so much incentives on the gs, price factored in the gs is a lot more attractive. though i would really still argue that the LS has noticeably better and smoother ride quality. you just can't beat that v8. one thing i constantly complain about my gs350 is power, the engine revs up often and that noise gets annoying. comparing to my days with gs400, sc430, and ls460l, the effortless feel of the v8 always capture my heart
Old 05-06-15, 01:59 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No question about the status and the presence on the road, that means a lot when you get into that segment. But, when you take the intangibles out of it, the GS really is 90% as good a car as the LS.

Tech and gadgets, in the price range I'll be in (~$80k) I actually will wind up with a car with LESS tech and gadgets than my GS. No AVS, no multi-contour seats, no rear audio/climate controls, no rear sunshades, maybe no semi-aniline leather (its a very low cost option on the LS, its a matter of finding one).

Likely an all new LS in 2017. I'm not really worried about having the latest model of the LS though. Part of that "flagship" status and appeal negates some of the appeal of having the latest model. I still look at prior generations of the LS and appreciate them in a way I don't other models. Same with say an S Class or a 7 Series.

Part of it too is that I realize that I'm at a point where my window to lease/purchase an LS is drawing to a close. There are limits to what I will pay for a car, I'm not going to buy/lease a car much over $80k, I'm not going to make 4 figure lease payments. Its not about not being able to, its a question of value. You can get incredible cars for $80-85k and below, and I'd rather buy a vacation condo, a boat, whatever.

Anyways, right now because the LS is so slow moving at at the end of its lifecycle I have an opportunity to get one for what my upper limit is when it comes to a price for a car. The S Class is over that level, and the A8 is too, as will be the new 7 when it comes out. Really the only two flagship cars that aren't are the LS and the XJ.

Once the all-new LS comes out, its going to be over that price point...and I'm going to be priced out. Plus, the talk is about moving the LS more dynamic and thats not really what I want out of the car.

I could see myself leasing the LS, and then buying it, depreciating it twice for taxes and keeping it a long time.
I agree with quite a few points here. I still appreciate the previous LS almost as the same as the current one. I parked next to a hybrid one today and it still looks dawn good to me esp. with those LEDs. The S though, I think the new one really killed the previous gen IMO. I too sometimes put (try to put) a limit on how much I would be willing to spend when it's time to get a car. I remember before letting us loose, one of our professors invited Gary Mitchell from Mitchell and Mitchell to give us a talk about managing our potential money. He said, not that he could not afford it but he personally would not spend more than 60K on a car. For some reasons that still sticks with me until now. My professor on the other hand at time was on the wait list to get one of the first R8 shipped to the states.
Old 05-06-15, 02:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

keep in mind the current generation of LS has been running from 2007. but yes, even when i see the ls430 i still think it has quite a welcoming presence.

that's the thing i like about flagships. for some reasons, manufacturers (bmw, lexus, mb) are able to design their flagships in such a way that even over time, you still get their presence when one passes by

i do think the concept of values changes according to your wealth. i am in the same boat where paying under 4 digits make me feel more comfortable. but i can see if my income increases by certain reasonable amount (meaning not like i hit a lotto tomorrow), i probably would be in the new s
Old 05-06-15, 05:31 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I think so. And as much as I like the car, it needs an all new update as the last one was not really all that big of a change. My biggest single complaint is that it does not feel like a car with nearly 400 hp.
Maybe slightly off topic, but I feel the same way about the GS, it does not feel like a car with 300 hp to me, but the numbers say otherwise.

That being said, I just spent a month overseas, and getting back in the seat of the GS was a joy. I admire other cars, but I don't lust for them like I used to. There's nothing out there in GS territory that I would rather have. Not a year ago, and not now. If my lease were coming up, I'd either extend it, or buy the car out.

I'm not sure if that helps your decision at all, OP, but thought I would share!
Old 05-07-15, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

though i would really still argue that the LS has noticeably better and smoother ride quality.
No doubt, but back in the GS...it rides really well. Not as well as the LS, but still, really well.

Still gathering numbers from a myriad of sources, will keep everybody posted. I have a quiet day today, might go drive an XJ...
Old 05-07-15, 09:09 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

This has been a really good thread, but its starting to look like a **** movie where nobodies clothes have come off yet, just some good cleavage. When are we getting to the good stuff?
Old 05-07-15, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No doubt, but back in the GS...it rides really well. Not as well as the LS, but still, really well.

Still gathering numbers from a myriad of sources, will keep everybody posted. I have a quiet day today, might go drive an XJ...
yeah for my info (and curiosity) if you get any final numbers for the LS, let us know.
Old 05-07-15, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I shall start another thread

Quick Reply: Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins