About to buy a used Lexus GS 350 F Sport...a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 03:09 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a used Lexus GS 350 F Sport...a few questions

So I am about to buy a used Lexus GS 350 w/ 38k miles. A few questions:

1. I am buying through Carmax. Is a Carmax or Lexus aftermarket warranty worth the cost? I've only owned Lexus;s and never had problems so thinking no. Also, I have 12k miles left of the factory so I figure that will give me enough time for big problems to pop up?

2. Is it worth paying to have Lexus inspect it during my 7 day Carmax return window?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-15, 03:58 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

My experience with Carmax is that they are priced on the high side. If this is true in your case, have you looked at Lexus Certified Pre Owned (CPO)? That would give you extended warranty built in. From what I've read here at Club Lexus and this being my third Lexus, they are very reliable and an extended warranty is probably an unnecessary expense. I think it's a better idea to have the car inspected by a qualified mechanic BEFORE you buy. It's a whole lot easier to negotiate a repair if they don't have your money. Lots of opinions about whether to pay extra for Lexus services on this forum. Good luck.
Old 03-16-15, 07:22 PM
scarru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
My experience with Carmax is that they are priced on the high side. If this is true in your case, have you looked at Lexus Certified Pre Owned (CPO)? That would give you extended warranty built in. From what I've read here at Club Lexus and this being my third Lexus, they are very reliable and an extended warranty is probably an unnecessary expense. I think it's a better idea to have the car inspected by a qualified mechanic BEFORE you buy. It's a whole lot easier to negotiate a repair if they don't have your money. Lots of opinions about whether to pay extra for Lexus services on this forum. Good luck.
Thanks. I've been watching west coast CPO offerings from dealerships for the past 6 months and carmax was the first to have a black RWD w/ mark levinson so that is why I'm going through them. Wish I could do CPO. The car is $37K w/ 38K miles which in Portland, OR is a pretty good price (only one dealership so no competition and KBB is $40K) and people mainly buy AWD here so almost no RWD's pop up. I will get it inspected by Lexus for sure!