GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Door speaker grill removal? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 09:58 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Door Speaker Grill Removal?

Help Please:
Any one know how to remove the door speaker grills on a 3rd Gen IS or a 4th Gen GS350 (without removing the door panels)? They appear to have the same 7" black plastic grill between IS and GS model.
I tried to pop them off with my fingers but it wouldn't budge...my finger nails bent halfway back though Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Door speaker grill removal?  Help Please-img_1289.jpg  
Old 03-05-15, 10:02 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Default Door speaker grill removal? Help Please

Help Please:
Any one know how to remove the door speaker grills on a 3rd Gen IS or a 4th Gen GS350 (without removing the door panels)? They appear to have the same 7" black plastic grill between IS and GS model.
I tried to pop them off with my fingers but it wouldn't budge...my finger nails bent halfway back though Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Door speaker grill removal?  Help Please-img_1289.jpg  
Old 03-08-15, 06:08 PM
Mrdecibel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 2015 IS, the grill is not removable. It's molded into the door.
Old 03-08-15, 07:39 PM
4matador
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, you have to remove the door panel; there are screws on the back of the panel that hold the speaker grills in place (this is true for the gs 350 2013).
Old 03-08-15, 07:43 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Originally Posted by Mrdecibel
On the 2015 IS, the grill is not removable. It's molded into the door.
Ah-ha! No wonder I can't pry it off. Also explains why I don't see any speaker upgrades on this forum, at least simple ones. I suppose the serious audiophiles remove the door panels and then do all sorts of speaker not worrying about the grill. Then simply re-install the door panel...no grill needed Thanks!
Old 03-08-15, 08:14 PM
4matador
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Ah-ha! No wonder I can't pry it off. Also explains why I don't see any speaker upgrades on this forum, at least simple ones. I suppose the serious audiophiles remove the door panels and then do all sorts of speaker not worrying about the grill. Then simply re-install the door panel...no grill needed Thanks!
If you are planning on removing the door panels, you may want to order a few door panel fasteners (clips) ahead of time because they break really easy.
Old 03-08-15, 08:34 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by 4matador
If you are planning on removing the door panels, you may want to order a few door panel fasteners (clips) ahead of time because they break really easy.
THANKS for the tip on the fastener clips. Nothing like a DYI newbie pulling off the door only to find during refastening that the clips are broken.
My idea is to replace the factory 6.5 speakers with some nicer grills as well. BUT, if the factory grill is part of the door instead of the speakers, then aftermarket speaker that have grills attached to themselves (by mounting plate) might be a problem. I'll just have to pull that panel off to wee how everything is connected
Old 03-09-15, 07:43 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
THANKS for the tip on the fastener clips. Nothing like a DYI newbie pulling off the door only to find during refastening that the clips are broken.
My idea is to replace the factory 6.5 speakers with some nicer grills as well. BUT, if the factory grill is part of the door instead of the speakers, then aftermarket speaker that have grills attached to themselves (by mounting plate) might be a problem. I'll just have to pull that panel off to wee how everything is connected
If you replace the speakers, leave the grilles that come with it in the box. Imho you will ruin the car trying to install cheap aftermarket speaker grilles. The oem ones are pretty nice, and as others said are part of the door panels.