GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth Connectivity Problems with Android Phones

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 07:03 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I have not had an issue with my Note 4 being connected to car for work. I actually have problems in my BMW with the Note 4 cutting out.
Old 02-11-15, 04:19 PM
James5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Galaxy S5 and just did the latest OTA update to Android 5.0 lollipop. Ever since I did that update, my bluetooth has been absolutely useless.

I can connect my GS350 (2013) and my S5 just fine, but it only keeps for about 30 seconds, then it disconnects....then reconnects....then disconnects. rinse. repeat until i turn my car off. it's absolutely asinine. My car also suddenly stopped reading my texts to me (a feature I found quite useful, actually, since I'm usually driving alone) despite granting it access to my messages and such.

I really wish I knew a way to fix this. I've deleted the phone from the GS350 system and re-paired it several times to no avail. my guess is it has something to do with the newest Android update but my god, how hard is this? Bluetooth is such a simple and mature technology you'd think two cutting edge companies like lexus and samsung could get it to work properly.
Old 02-11-15, 07:55 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The latest software update to my Galaxy S5 did the fix. It has been about 4 days and it does not disconnect/re-connect anymore. Crossing my fingers it stays this way.
Old 02-12-15, 10:56 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of these annoying issues,

2015 F Sport with a Galaxy S4 mini running droid 4.4.2 here..

I have never had a problem dropping connections at all.. except for just one time when I was pulling the car into the garage while the phone was in the house it was dropping and reconnecting, likley just due to a weak signal. I was actually stunned it came on at all with the phone so far away, but it was dropping and reconnecting back and forth while I pulled into the garage.

I wonder if it may be something simple such as where you phone is in the car, or if you have another bt device in the car at the same time causing interference? Maybe a bt setting on your phone perhaps where it may be trying to connect with other devices?

Just trying to throw out different ideas here, hope you find a solution..
Old 02-13-15, 09:52 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Sorry to hear of these annoying issues,

2015 F Sport with a Galaxy S4 mini running droid 4.4.2 here..

I have never had a problem dropping connections at all.. except for just one time when I was pulling the car into the garage while the phone was in the house it was dropping and reconnecting, likley just due to a weak signal. I was actually stunned it came on at all with the phone so far away, but it was dropping and reconnecting back and forth while I pulled into the garage.

I wonder if it may be something simple such as where you phone is in the car, or if you have another bt device in the car at the same time causing interference? Maybe a bt setting on your phone perhaps where it may be trying to connect with other devices?

Just trying to throw out different ideas here, hope you find a solution..
I previously posted the solution as created by Samsung. It's been a week and I haven't had the dropout on my car yet, but we'll see if that continues to hold true.

The issue apparently lies in the car trying to pull messages from the phone and there being an incompatibility between Android and car. When you first setup the bluetooth connection (starting from scratch) you're supposed to deny the car's request to download messages, and never show the message again and it should work. When doing this, make sure you fully turn off the car and the phone for a few moments to allow both to do a full reset.

As for when this problem will be fixed... not known as it sounds like people are having problems with 5.x. This work around means you cannot get texts and emails to show up in the car, so those features have been lost.
Old 02-13-15, 02:40 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Christobol
I previously posted the solution as created by Samsung. It's been a week and I haven't had the dropout on my car yet, but we'll see if that continues to hold true.

The issue apparently lies in the car trying to pull messages from the phone and there being an incompatibility between Android and car. When you first setup the bluetooth connection (starting from scratch) you're supposed to deny the car's request to download messages, and never show the message again and it should work. When doing this, make sure you fully turn off the car and the phone for a few moments to allow both to do a full reset.

As for when this problem will be fixed... not known as it sounds like people are having problems with 5.x. This work around means you cannot get texts and emails to show up in the car, so those features have been lost.
Interestingly this is not an issue for me (2015).. I am always getting txt messages while driving, and the car will read them to me out loud when moving, or I can read them on the screen when stopped.

Maybe your GS needs an update?
Old 02-13-15, 03:12 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Interestingly this is not an issue for me (2015).. I am always getting txt messages while driving, and the car will read them to me out loud when moving, or I can read them on the screen when stopped.

Maybe your GS needs an update?
This is a problem with losing bluetooth audio, not receiving texts. There is another thread about text problems.

I don't know if there is an issue with 2015s, the dealer only confirmed this is an issue with 2013s and obviously 2014s as well since people have said they have issues too. I wish I could get a firmware update, however Lexus is taking the approach that it's not their problem so they aren't going to do much about it. Even though this issue doesn't pop up with other manufactures when paired with Androids.
Old 02-27-15, 10:45 PM
Christobol
Advanced

It's been about 3 weeks and things are still good. Looks like the method samsumg came up with worked.
Old 03-02-15, 12:10 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Christobol
It's been about 3 weeks and things are still good. Looks like the method samsumg came up with worked.
Awesome news!!