Life of front brake rotors F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 10:44 PM
chinkwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life of front brake rotors F-Sport

Guys,

I have a 350 F-sport Rwd with the two piece brake rotor.

My mechanic inspected them today visually and said my pads are done and so are my rotors.

I have 19000 miles on my GS and its never been tracked..

Does that sound pre-mature for a 2013 or does that sound about right?

Sewell site has them for $293 a piece or $600 a set.. Corresponding pads are $80...

I searched the site and somebody did the research and says the GS350 F rwd can take 2011 Is350 pads?

If somebody can shine some light, that would be really good. thanks!
Old 01-04-15, 01:53 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you not have the ticking while turning right or brake squeaking noises in the first 19k? They should have replaced pads (and maybe rotors) during that time for those two issues. Did you pick up a CPO car?
Old 01-04-15, 09:25 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Needing to change rotors that early seems wrong, but it could depend how you are braking. When my dealer told me that I needed new pads at 30K service in my 2013, they said rotors looked fine. They also quoted me $450 to replace pads and resurface rotors, which I declined. I bought the F-sport pads (make sure you get the right ones, might have to get part # from dealer and search for it) on Sewell and took it to my local shop to be replaced. Didn't resurface the rotors and the car drove fine, or better since I had new pads. My pads may have lasted longer since I complained about squeak and grinding when braking at 10K service, and they replaced front pads (due to TSB) and resurfaced rotors.
Old 01-04-15, 06:17 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

I also am at 19k miles and was told my front brakes need replacing. I do almost all "small town" driving... low speed driving, easy braking (my average speed on the center info-center is 26 mph).

The brakes on this car seem to work great, but are the shortest life brake pads I've ever owned. So much so that I've considered getting rid of the car because of it. Brakes and tires every 25k is going to add up.
Old 01-04-15, 07:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's weird. I just had my F Sport in for 20k mile service and was told everything is fine and nothing needs to be replaced. My brakes only squeak when I've been in the rain and I'm backing out of my garage. After that, they are quiet.
Old 01-04-15, 11:35 PM
chinkwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mostly around town as well.. Average speed to/from work is 15mph stop and go traffic...

Thanks for the info, I will call my dealer as mine was a CPO and I haven't claimed the TSB.
Old 01-05-15, 12:00 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

my pads got replaced at 18k, I didn't change the rotor.
Old 01-05-15, 06:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by chinkwan
Guys,

I have a 350 F-sport Rwd with the two piece brake rotor.

My mechanic inspected them today visually and said my pads are done and so are my rotors.

I have 19000 miles on my GS and its never been tracked..

Does that sound pre-mature for a 2013 or does that sound about right?

Sewell site has them for $293 a piece or $600 a set.. Corresponding pads are $80...

I searched the site and somebody did the research and says the GS350 F rwd can take 2011 Is350 pads?

If somebody can shine some light, that would be really good. thanks!
Had this same issue and dealer told me they couldn't do anything. I had to replace the rotors and pads around that same mileage. I think sewell is a little cheaper or your a signed up member through clublexus you get a discount should be cheaper than that.
Old 01-05-15, 08:22 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, it seems crazy to be changing rotors never mind pads at 20k!

Something doesn't seem to add up?
I wonder why they are wearing out so fast ? Friction brakes should be designed to have the pads wear out well before the rotors!! Sounds like Lexus is using junk steel for their rotors.
Surely there are some good 3rd party rotor manufactures for our Lexus's.

My Acura TL went over 70k before I had to change rotors due to them being warped. Changed pads as well but the pads still had lots of life left in them!
Old 01-05-15, 09:33 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
WOW, it seems crazy to be changing rotors never mind pads at 20k!
My thoughts exactly. Not looking forward to that.. I admit to driving my car a bit harder than average probably so I'll probably have to replace them prematurely. I guess you gotta pay to play
Old 01-05-15, 09:45 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The rotors can probably be shaved once or twice but most dealers just want to replace them as it's less work and more money for them.
The following users liked this post:
raygun17 (01-02-18)
Old 01-05-15, 10:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I have never, ever, seen brake rotors wear out with just one set of brake pads. Most rotors are good for 2~3 sets of pads if not more, and this includes 'turning' the rotors minimally when new pads are installed. Performance cars (for road use) use brake pads made of a quicker-wearing composition, thus the pads simply will not last as long. If you ever see a car manufacturer tout their car's short braking distance you can bet the brake pads won't last as long as the pads on [say] a Ford Focus. BMW, for example, is notorious for short braking distances and fast wearing pads, and an abundance of brake dust.
raygun17 (01-02-18)
Old 01-05-15, 10:24 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have never, ever, seen brake rotors wear out with just one set of brake pads. Most rotors are good for 2~3 sets of pads if not more, and this includes 'turning' the rotors minimally when new pads are installed. Performance cars (for road use) use brake pads made of a quicker-wearing composition, thus the pads simply will not last as long. If you ever see a car manufacturer tout their car's short braking distance you can bet the brake pads won't last as long as the pads on [say] a Ford Focus. BMW, for example, is notorious for short braking distances and fast wearing pads, and an abundance of brake dust.
+1

I can't believe it either!
When I put new rotors on my Acura I did a lot of research.
I found many manufactures of what where once good rotors started making their products in China with low carbon steel. Hence they became junk far too early in life.

What we need is good high carbon steel rotors. My research led me to EBC rotors which all my race car buddies are using with excellent results. That's what I put all way around on my Acura TL with EBC Red pads. Yes the ceramic pads are dusty! But the combo works well and increased my stopping power significantly without fading. Not enough miles on them to tell how long they will last though, but after 30k they are smooth and no warping like the stock ones.

Problem is I see that EBC site does not list a rotor for the 4G GS, 3G yes ?
Old 01-05-15, 10:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
+1

I can't believe it either!
When I put new rotors on my Acura I did a lot of research.
I found many manufactures of what where once good rotors started making their products in China with low carbon steel. Hence they became junk far too early in life.

What we need is good high carbon steel rotors. My research led me to EBC rotors which all my race car buddies are using with excellent results. That's what I put all way around on my Acura TL with EBC Red pads. Yes the ceramic pads are dusty! But the combo works well and increased my stopping power significantly without fading. Not enough miles on them to tell how long they will last though, but after 30k they are smooth and no warping like the stock ones.

Problem is I see that EBC site does not list a rotor for the 4G GS, 3G yes ?
Be careful putting aftermarket parts on a car that could become an element in an accident. Brakes, rotors, suspension parts, incorrect or unsafe tires, etc., etc. can become a factor in a legal case against the car's owner.
Old 01-07-15, 01:06 PM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

38250 on my 2013 and have at least half the pad and rotors don't have much of a lip on the edge

looked yesterday when putting new tires on it

but most of my driving is rural and small town and/or the wife driving

19k is WAY early
raygun17 (01-02-18)

Quick Reply: Life of front brake rotors F-Sport