GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Life of front brake rotors F-Sport

Old 01-07-15, 01:39 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Are the brakes covered with Lexus Care Prepaid maintenance for say 2 years since my lease is only 24 months. Not sure if I should keep or cancel it. Paid $410 for it but since first year is free anyway then really it is just the 20,000 miles oil change plus other filters, etc. I think most of you here are skipping on the 15K mile service.
Old 01-07-15, 01:49 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not that familiar with the 4gs yet, but I too agree this sounds ridiculous!

I also dont trust everything mechanics say nowadays.. Normally you can pop off your wheel and look at the rotor and find the "Minimum Thickness XXmm" stamped right on it. I would look for this and measure it myself to be sure before handing them a cent...

Let us know what you find please.
Old 01-08-15, 12:05 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have never, ever, seen brake rotors wear out with just one set of brake pads.
I have. Infiniti had a bad problem with this when the G35 launched in 2003/2004. They had target numbers for braking distance from 60-0mph. They found out the rotor/pad production combo wasn't hitting the target so as a last second decision, they put extremely aggressive pads on. These moved the cars off the dealer's lots, but came back in 10k squealing and grinding because the pads had dissolved and nearly burned through the rotors. That forced Nissan Corp to extend the brake warranty out to 30k including rotors. Guess what happened at 30k? Switching to ceramic pads fixed the problem once the rotors were replaced under warranty and stopped the fast wear but also hurt 60-0 numbers. Compromise.

In 2005 they changed the rotor sizes all the way around. 1.5 inches larger up front, 1 inch larger in the rear. Oops.

You wanna know how your pads are performing, look at your front rims every week.
Old 01-17-15, 01:13 AM
chinkwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to dealer and showed them the TSB.

They replaced rotors and pads on warranty.

Service advisor says it's not uncommon for rotors to be done around 19k miles?
Old 01-19-15, 01:50 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chinkwan
Went to dealer and showed them the TSB.

They replaced rotors and pads on warranty.

Service advisor says it's not uncommon for rotors to be done around 19k miles?
Can I get more info on the TSB please I just went to the dealer last week and got quoted $495 for front and $495 for rear. My rwd fsport has 21k and just visually I can tell my rotors are near minimum thickness.
Old 03-18-15, 01:29 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys, kicking up the thread here. Would you guys mind sharing if you're talking about a AWD or RWD F-Sport? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but that part isn't clear to me .

I just took my 2013 AWD 4GS F-Sport in for it's 25K miles (40K in KM) service. It was due for the lubrication service, but because I had the grinding noise when turning right I asked them to check it out. They said the pads are done and would need to replace them. They also told me that the rotors are "rusting from the inside" and would need to be replaced.

I've never really heard of that before. Normally when I replace rotors it's because they're warped.

My car has been parked outside its whole life, which I thought is actually better for rust prevention (vs parking it inside and having snow/ice thaw, seep in, and re-ice every single day). Maybe that's just an old wives tail.

Regardless, the last few winters have been harsh and I've driven the car almost every day. I do about 50% driving in stop and go (it takes 30 mins to drive about 7 miles), and I do drive more aggressively than your average person, with the rest being highway driving.

I wish I had asked to look at the rotors, but I was in a rush and had my 4 year old with me, so I didn't bother.

Thoughts guys? I'm not overly upset, just confused. My wife's EX35 is known to have rotor warping issues so I was blown away when it needed new rotors at 30K miles. This seems even more odd.

Last edited by mehran888; 03-19-15 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 03:21 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey guys, kicking up the thread here. Would you guys mind sharing if you're talking about a FWD or RWD F-Sport? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but that part isn't clear to me .

I just took my 2013 AWD 4GS F-Sport in for it's 25K miles (40K in KM) service. It was due for the lubrication service, but because I had the grinding noise when turning right I asked them to check it out. They said the pads are done and would need to replace them. They also told me that the rotors are "rusting from the inside" and would need to be replaced.

I've never really heard of that before. Normally when I replace rotors it's because they're warped.

My car has been parked outside its whole life, which I thought is actually better for rust prevention (vs parking it inside and having snow/ice thaw, seep in, and re-ice every single day). Maybe that's just an old wives tail.

Regardless, the last few winters have been harsh and I've driven the car almost every day. I do about 50% driving in stop and go (it takes 30 mins to drive about 7 miles), and I do drive more aggressively than your average person, with the rest being highway driving.

I wish I had asked to look at the rotors, but I was in a rush and had my 4 year old with me, so I didn't bother.

Thoughts guys? I'm not overly upset, just confused. My wife's EX35 is known to have rotor warping issues so I was blown away when it needed new rotors at 30K miles. This seems even more odd.
Do you mean AWD or RWD as there is no FWD GS. Mine was AWD and I think its a bit equal. I had the same issue with the rusting, I would fight that and make them replace under warranty.
Old 03-19-15, 01:06 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading through all of this thread is it safe to say if I have a 3 year 36,000 mile lease on my GS AWD F-Sport I will have to replace my pads and possibly rotors sometime during the lease?

If this is true I might as well treat the car like I'm an F1 driver and torment the brakes instead of babying them like I do...
Old 03-19-15, 05:21 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Do you mean AWD or RWD as there is no FWD GS. Mine was AWD and I think its a bit equal. I had the same issue with the rusting, I would fight that and make them replace under warranty.
Sorry I meant AWD. I think I had "four wheel driven" when I was typing.

Did you fight for being under warranty when they suggested it or after? Mind telling me the channel (number, email) you used?
Old 06-16-15, 06:35 PM
dpmredwing
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just took my 2013 RWD GS350 in for the 30K service and they told me my pads were at 1/32 and that the rotors were so bad they could not resurface them. They quoted me a price of $1030!!! I am going to take it to another dealer tomorrow and tell them I hear a ticking noise coming from the front wheels and hand them the TSB. Hopefully that will cover my issue.
Old 06-16-15, 09:01 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Awd and rwd have the same front brakes only diffrence is rwd is a 2piece rotors. Other then that the pads do go quick. They usally finish after every 2 days on the track. Still on stock rotors I have been through 6 pads on them already and rotors still looks good. Can you take a pictures of yours rotor for me to see? I don't think they are done yet. Also I'm at 66,000km

Last edited by GSTONY; 06-16-15 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-17-15, 03:31 PM
dpmredwing
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotors and and pads done

No luck taking my GS to another dealer. They could not reproduce the "clicking noise" referenced in the TSB so not going to cover the rotors. Looks like I'm going to have to take it back to carmax. They boast about their 125+ point inspection...well I find it hard to believe they inspected this car and gave it a clean bill of health and passed it for VA safety inspection and then 5800 miles later my pads and ROTORS are completely shot.
Old 06-17-15, 05:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by dpmredwing
No luck taking my GS to another dealer. They could not reproduce the "clicking noise" referenced in the TSB so not going to cover the rotors. Looks like I'm going to have to take it back to carmax. They boast about their 125+ point inspection...well I find it hard to believe they inspected this car and gave it a clean bill of health and passed it for VA safety inspection and then 5800 miles later my pads and ROTORS are completely shot.
5,800 miles is back and forth across the U.S.! A set of pads that checked out to be still safe can be worn down easily in 5,800 miles of driving. I personally do not see why Carmax (or anyone) would provide you any help with 5,800 miles added on your car since you bought it from them. Why do you think Carmax should be responsible for giving you new pads and/or rotors?
Old 06-17-15, 08:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why do you think Carmax should be responsible for giving you new pads and/or rotors?
I don't think they should be responsible for the pads, but the rotors probably looked below minimum and they should've done something about it. I don't think you could've worn down the rotors so much to 1/32 in that little of miles.
Old 06-19-15, 02:13 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I just got my front rotors replaced due to the ticking noise and TSB (13k miles on my '14 RWD F-Sport), but they said it didn't cover the brake pads. I'm not overly concerned, because I'd rather them replace the rotors, but I'm curious if it's the pads that could lead to premature wear?

Does anyone know if the replacement pads different as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Life of front brake rotors F-Sport