GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Life of front brake rotors F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 08:55 AM
13GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the rotors and pads needing to be changed out at 19,000 miles. I was quoted a little over $900 at Lexus. I love this car but if I need to change brakes and rotors every 20,000 miles, that will add up fast! I bought the car used at 17,000 miles so I am not sure how the brakes were previously used. Has anyone been able to find a cheaper and longer lasting solution to this problem?

I am also not sure if the previous owner claimed the TSB or if it is too late for me to do anything about that.
Old 12-16-15, 08:13 AM
tcounts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the part numbers for the front pads & rotors for a RWD GS350 F-Sport? I've been looking online and I think I keep getting standard GS rotors quoted to me and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.
Old 03-14-17, 01:59 PM
tekno2566
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I have to resurrect this thread. Quick question, my front rotors look like they're in good condition, however, I want to change my brakes to akebonos to reduce brake dust. Do I need to change/turn my rotors? The manager at brakes plus recommended to change the rotors since it's made of different materials. Any input on this? Personally, I'd rather just change the brakes and not have to worry about anything.
Old 03-15-17, 10:41 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tekno2566
Hey guys, I have to resurrect this thread. Quick question, my front rotors look like they're in good condition, however, I want to change my brakes to akebonos to reduce brake dust. Do I need to change/turn my rotors? The manager at brakes plus recommended to change the rotors since it's made of different materials. Any input on this? Personally, I'd rather just change the brakes and not have to worry about anything.

I did exactly what you are asking if you can do and it was fine. I scuffed the rotor surface on both sides with sand paper to break the glaze. The brakes sometimes squeal with the Akebono's but it is a different kind of squeal than the squeak from regular pads. When they do squeak, they howl pretty loud to where some people look at me. My friend who deals with performance vehicles said "race brakes?" after he heard the howl in the car.
Old 03-16-17, 12:51 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still have the bumper to bumper warranty and have the 2 piece front rotors.. just go in and complain about the brake noise because there's a new front rotors(1 piece) part that is out. I just got my changed out for free with new pads.
Old 03-16-17, 09:00 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
If you still have the bumper to bumper warranty and have the 2 piece front rotors.. just go in and complain about the brake noise because there's a new front rotors(1 piece) part that is out. I just got my changed out for free with new pads.
you have to change the hub to install the 1 pieces rotor. but if you have warranty they cover it.
Old 03-18-17, 10:34 AM
Five0four
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richard203
you have to change the hub to install the 1 pieces rotor. but if you have warranty they cover it.

EBC has 1 piece rotors that are made specifically for the FSport, would that require a new hub install?
Old 03-18-17, 05:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Originally Posted by Five0four

EBC has 1 piece rotors that are made specifically for the FSport, would that require a new hub install?
I emailed ebc few weeks ago since one of the member here installed the ebc 1 pieces rotor on his f sport and they say they don't have any rotor for the f sport model and the op that installed the 1 pieces rotor did not have any update so I don't know.
Old 03-18-17, 07:46 PM
Five0four
Driver School Candidate

I emailed ebc few weeks ago since one of the member here installed the ebc 1 pieces rotor on his f sport and they say they don't have any rotor for the f sport model and the op that installed the 1 pieces rotor did not have any update so I don't know.
I actually just ordered a pair so I'll give an update once I receive them and get them installed. At $175 shipped you really don't have much to lose, plus CARid's return policy to pretty darn good.
Old 03-18-17, 07:48 PM
Five0four
Driver School Candidate

I actually just ordered a pair so I'll give an update once I receive them and get them installed. At $175 shipped you really don't have much to lose, plus CARid's return policy to pretty darn good.
Almost forgot, the part # RK7636X EBC
Old 03-18-17, 07:49 PM
richard203
Racer

they got the drilled ones too I was planning to get it but the op never updated back do it work or not. so let us know how it goes
Old 03-18-17, 08:05 PM
Five0four
Driver School Candidate

Will do.
Old 03-20-17, 03:27 PM
tekno2566
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do.
Please let us know! A local brake shop said they found a one piece rotor for me from one of their vendors but the part is $192 each. With that price, I might as well get oems lol
Old 03-20-17, 03:41 PM
Five0four
Driver School Candidate

Update:

today I received an email for CARid saying my shipping date was pushed back until the 10th of March. I called CARid and was told it was some type of hold up or something, it didn't sound right so I called EBC directly. After speaking with EBC, the guy said it was a problem with casting the rotors and the measurements were off. So instead of 14 inch rotors they were producing 13.1's. He then went on to say that production is on hold until the problem is fixed. I have no idea when these will be Available. Sucks!! Lol
Old 03-20-17, 06:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Update:

today I received an email for CARid saying my shipping date was pushed back until the 10th of March. I called CARid and was told it was some type of hold up or something, it didn't sound right so I called EBC directly. After speaking with EBC, the guy said it was a problem with casting the rotors and the measurements were off. So instead of 14 inch rotors they were producing 13.1's. He then went on to say that production is on hold until the problem is fixed. I have no idea when these will be Available. Sucks!! Lol
ya, that's why mybe the guy never updated cause of the so called "hold up". LOL. isn't 10th of march passed already? its the 20th already

Quick Reply: Life of front brake rotors F-Sport