GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Comparison of my Lexus GS350, BMW 550 and Audi A7

Old 12-25-14, 03:06 PM
tam92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jjscsix, were you successfully able to find an acceptable steering position on the BMW? I tested a 5 series and a 3 series within the last year, and on both cars I could never adjust the steering wheel without either the center hub blocking the odometer or the top of the wheel blocking the upper edges of the speedometer or the tach.
Old 12-25-14, 04:07 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tam92
jjscsix, were you successfully able to find an acceptable steering position on the BMW? I tested a 5 series and a 3 series within the last year, and on both cars I could never adjust the steering wheel without either the center hub blocking the odometer or the top of the wheel blocking the upper edges of the speedometer or the tach.
I never had an issue with anything being blocked. But there is a bad glare most of the time making the information along the bottom nearly impossible to read during daylight.
Old 01-04-15, 05:34 AM
ckelly14
Driver

I commented on your similar post on Audiworld a few weeks back when I ordered my 2016 A7. Yesterday, I cancelled my order.

I tried really hard to love the A7 due to it's fantastic looks. I tried to tilt the ride towards luxury vs. sport by being one of the few that ordered the A7 without the sport package or the 20" wheels. In the end I was kidding myself. For me, the GS with the adjustable suspension of the premium package is the perfect balance of sport vs. luxury. I'll also save over 10K. Now, I just need to find one with a cold weather package!

Congrats on your new car. I'll still be a bit jealous of the A7 owners from the outside but I think I will be happier where I spend most of my time, behind the wheel.

Guess I'm finding out I'm a Lexus guy....
Old 01-04-15, 06:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I commented on your similar post on Audiworld a few weeks back when I ordered my 2016 A7. Yesterday, I cancelled my order.

I tried really hard to love the A7 due to it's fantastic looks. I tried to tilt the ride towards luxury vs. sport by being one of the few that ordered the A7 without the sport package or the 20" wheels. In the end I was kidding myself. For me, the GS with the adjustable suspension of the premium package is the perfect balance of sport vs. luxury. I'll also save over 10K. Now, I just need to find one with a cold weather package!

Congrats on your new car. I'll still be a bit jealous of the A7 owners from the outside but I think I will be happier where I spend most of my time, behind the wheel.

The GS is a great car, and as you say, it saves some money. Congratulations!
Old 01-04-15, 07:01 PM
TonyCarson
Rookie

Saw a brand new white A7 yesterday at Bel-Air. I kept looking at it...definitely a beautiful car.
Old 01-04-15, 07:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ckelly14

I feel exactly the same way. I actually traded in an '11 S5 Cab for my GS, so it would have been a natural progression for me to go to an A6 or A7. I had read too many posts about road noise and rough ride with the Sport package, plus I just didn't find the interior as appealing as that in the GS. The only thing that really drew me to the A7 was the exterior looks and the functionality of the hatchback, but in the end that wasn't enough. 20k miles later, I think I made the right decision, and I'm sure you did too!
Old 01-05-15, 12:00 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
I feel exactly the same way. I actually traded in an '11 S5 Cab for my GS, so it would have been a natural progression for me to go to an A6 or A7. I had read too many posts about road noise and rough ride with the Sport package, plus I just didn't find the interior as appealing as that in the GS. The only thing that really drew me to the A7 was the exterior looks and the functionality of the hatchback, but in the end that wasn't enough. 20k miles later, I think I made the right decision, and I'm sure you did too!
I hope you're right!

Right now deciding between the luxury package vs. F-sport vs. premium. Like the upgraded seats and the AVS, but not really sold on the Aluminum trim. If I go Lux, I'll have to order, since I honestly haven't found one anywhere. I have some back issues on long hauls so I actually ordered the A8 seats for my A7 when I ordered. Not sure how the different seats stack up in the GS. I live in Charleston, SC and all the dealerships here, including Audi and Lexus, have very little inventory to test drive.
Old 01-05-15, 07:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually like the aluminum trim because it goes really well with the Cabernet/black interior combo. I would highly recommend the F Sport for that reason (as well as the front end, wheels and amped-up driving experience). Re: the seats, they are some of the best I've ever experienced. And again, I came from a S5 Cab with Sport Seats that were damn good.