GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Considering a GS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 05:01 PM
Mike00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a GS F Sport

Hi all. Obviously I'm new to club lexus and I thought I'd introduce myself as well as get some feedback on a potential trade/lease on a new GS 350 F Sport.

I currently drive a 2013 Audi S4 - which I absolutely love. This is my first real car in this price rnage and I special ordered it in September 2012. Unfortunately at the time I would have probably test drove the GS F Sport had i know how far along Lexus has come from a sport perspective. While I love the S4 I know I'm going to have to consider purchasing a $3-3500 warranty soon if I want to keep. I've had no issues but a single warranty issue during that time frame (car worked fine) down side is the warranty item woulld have cost me $9,000 had in not been in warranty. As much as I love this car I know I don't want to own it out of warranty. So I either buy an extended for a lot of money or I get a new car.

Well I've been browsing this site for about a week now and seeing some of the lease deals out there. IT seems like I can get a fully loaded GS 350 F Sport AWD for somewhere beteween $410-500 on a lease. While I've always been against leases (miles and hate the idea of renting) as I hit 30 I realize I've never had a car more than 4 years and typically more like 3. So owning is probably not right for me and as I'm getting down to 12,000 maybe 13,000 max miles per year it's a possibility.

So I guess my first question is have any come from the BMW 335 or S4/S4 and how does the lexus compare? I know luxury will be fine, I believe the drive feel is fine from recent reviews but a part of me wonders if I'll miss that power.

ON the other end of things is it realistic for me to get a 12,000 mile lease on a GS 350 for about $450 a month? If so seems like a no brainer as the extended warranty I would have to get for the S4 covers down payment, I stop paying 1200 (at an indy shop!) for brakes, and my car payment drops $140 a month while giving me quite a bit of equity in my pocks (I put down half the value of the car when I bought). Also I know lexus runs specials around XMas, does this apply to lease deals? I'm in no hurry to trade in but it seems like I should watch for a good lease special over the next 3-10 months.

Anyway love my S4, always been against lease deals historically, but reality is I can't stay happy with a car more than 3-4 years so I may as well just drop to two and rent it for less. And the GS F Sport in Liquid Platinum or Nebula Gray is incredible and I need those ventilated seats.
Old 10-17-14, 06:57 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't give you input on the lease because I bought mine, but I came from an '11 S5 Cab so it had the same drivetrain as your S4. I loved the way the S5 drove, but I needed something more practical. I had read all the great things about the GS F Sport's "fun factor" and they were all true. The interior is as good, if not better than, the S5 Cab's. The Mark Levinson sound system blows the B&O system out of the water. I miss the simplicity of the Audi MMI system, but it's no big deal. The GS has a lot bigger screen.

I traded my S5 in March 2012 and have never looked back. My GS F Sport has 18k miles on it (which is why I didn't lease) and I've loved every minute of driving it. Not one issue either.
Old 10-17-14, 07:11 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an '09 335i sedan with M Sport pkg for about 6 months at one time. It is by no means comparable to the GS. It's small. It had run flats. It had an inline twin turbo... Waaaaay different. Thing about the GS is that it's a bigger car (not the biggest but it's pretty big) but it's like the lightest car of its class, if I'm not mistaken. My '14 F Sport is RWD so I have an 8 speed tranny vs the AWD 6, wider tires on the rear and my ride height is slightly lower than an AWD. The GS is fairly quick. Not fast. It has a good exhaust growl, especially for a V6 or a Lexus for that matter. Doesn't have much torque, that's probably one thing I would change about it. But everything about the GS packages together nicely. Meaning: RWD mpg 19/29, 306hp with decent note, it wasn't all that much more to insure over my 2.0T VW CC and I kinda care about that because I'm only 22 so it can get pricey. I know I talked a lot about RWD, I apalogize if that's not much help I just didn't want AWD so I didn't research it much.
Old 10-17-14, 07:52 PM
Mike00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
I can't give you input on the lease because I bought mine, but I came from an '11 S5 Cab so it had the same drivetrain as your S4. I loved the way the S5 drove, but I needed something more practical. I had read all the great things about the GS F Sport's "fun factor" and they were all true. The interior is as good, if not better than, the S5 Cab's. The Mark Levinson sound system blows the B&O system out of the water. I miss the simplicity of the Audi MMI system, but it's no big deal. The GS has a lot bigger screen.

I traded my S5 in March 2012 and have never looked back. My GS F Sport has 18k miles on it (which is why I didn't lease) and I've loved every minute of driving it. Not one issue either.
Thank you both for your posts. I'm nervous about going in for a test drive cause I have a feeling I will want it. The luxury of a lexus has always appealed and given "the drive feel" I'm reading with the new F Sports I think I'll be happy enough with it.

The S5 review is very helpful - we have slightly diff engines (you had the v8 in that year if I'm not mistaken while I run the supercharged 6) but I think it's close enough to say I'm happy.

I love this audi but the ML audio, ventilated seats and a few other lux items just appeal to me in such a large way.

That said I am just starting to research leased in a bit more detail. Given my 3-4 year car cycle though seems like a smarter decision in the long run. I just get bored of cars too quick.
Old 10-17-14, 10:29 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Haven't owned an Audi or recent BMW but I can tell you the ML audio is golden. I absolutely love the HUD also and probably won't drive another car without one. Lastly, the heated/ventilated seats are standard on all F-Sport packages so you're good there. If you're looking to wait at least a year, you're looking at the possibility of picking up a '15 for a good price or getting a '16 which should be getting a minor redesign and some additional features.
Old 10-17-14, 10:39 PM
Mike00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Haven't owned an Audi or recent BMW but I can tell you the ML audio is golden. I absolutely love the HUD also and probably won't drive another car without one. Lastly, the heated/ventilated seats are standard on all F-Sport packages so you're good there. If you're looking to wait at least a year, you're looking at the possibility of picking up a '15 for a good price or getting a '16 which should be getting a minor redesign and some additional features.
I think at this point I'm ready if the numbers line up and if a lease special pops up this holiday. I don't really have a perference of when, I just know I need to do it in the next 12 months give or take. It's that or go spend a lot on a extended warranty.
Old 10-18-14, 01:24 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

The S5 cabriolet has always had the supercharged 6 so he actually did have the same exact powertrain as you I believe. Why Audi did it that way is beyond me.
Old 10-18-14, 04:01 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove both the 2014 S4 and A6 (and a lot of other cars) before settling on the GS. The 3.0 is the Audi's main advantage (more torque & better mileage), in all other areas I felt the GS was on par or superior. (IMHO)

Pictures and tech specs researched online can only tell you so much, when you sit in a car and touch it you can really appreciate it. Good luck man!
Old 10-18-14, 04:05 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

With no money down $450 is not realistic. Don't believe everything you read in forums. $600 would be a very good deal.
Old 10-18-14, 06:58 AM
Mike00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
With no money down $450 is not realistic. Don't believe everything you read in forums. $600 would be a very good deal.
Sounds like I should explore some pricing a bit mroe at the dealer even if I'm not ready. Even a 600 payment would have me break even with the current car so it probably still makes sense if nothing else to save on the maintanence and warranty.

I know if I step foot in a dealer though and test drive the GS350 i'm going to want it. Which has me hesitant if I can't find numbers that make sense.

ON the other hand December to Remember is not to far, does lexus usually run specials during that event?

Last edited by Mike00; 10-18-14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 07:25 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksun
I test drove both the 2014 S4 and A6 (and a lot of other cars) before settling on the GS. The 3.0 is the Audi's main advantage (more torque & better mileage), in all other areas I felt the GS was on par or superior. (IMHO)

Pictures and tech specs researched online can only tell you so much, when you sit in a car and touch it you can really appreciate it. Good luck man!
Comparing the 3.0T A6 to the AWD F Sport, I couldn't help but rather want the A6. 8 speed tranny, way more powaaaa, better mpg. I really only feel the GS RWD is competitive, unless you're just a loyal Lexus guy.
Old 10-18-14, 12:04 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that (at least in NJ), they don't ship F-Sports with ML so you might have to special order
Old 10-18-14, 12:15 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
+1. I'm paying more than that and I still think I got a good deal. For me, a good deal is a deal that you can not negotiate any lower.
Old 10-18-14, 06:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike00
Thank you both for your posts. I'm nervous about going in for a test drive cause I have a feeling I will want it. The luxury of a lexus has always appealed and given "the drive feel" I'm reading with the new F Sports I think I'll be happy enough with it.

The S5 review is very helpful - we have slightly diff engines (you had the v8 in that year if I'm not mistaken while I run the supercharged 6) but I think it's close enough to say I'm happy.

I love this audi but the ML audio, ventilated seats and a few other lux items just appeal to me in such a large way.

That said I am just starting to research leased in a bit more detail. Given my 3-4 year car cycle though seems like a smarter decision in the long run. I just get bored of cars too quick.
No, my S5 Cab had the Supercharged V6. Only the S5 Coupes kept the V8 until recently. I had the same engine as yours, so apples-to-apples.
Old 10-18-14, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick21
The S5 cabriolet has always had the supercharged 6 so he actually did have the same exact powertrain as you I believe. Why Audi did it that way is beyond me.
The S5 Coupe with the V8 was introduced in 2008 as a 2009 model. A year later, the S5 Cab was introduced with the Supercharged V6 as a 2010 model. A year later, the Supercharged V6 was put in the coupe. Not quite sure why they did that either, but I was much more impressed with the overall performance/handling of the V6. The V8 made the car feel way too nose-heavy.

Quick Reply: Considering a GS F Sport