GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2010 BMW 650 or 2013 GSF or 450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 07:52 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 BMW 650 or Gen4 GS350F or 450h

Perhaps some of you were previous BMW owners. if so, please let me know how you feel about your GS in comparison.

My stroy
I left BMW a few years back due to a plague of expensive mechanical problems. I noticed my wifes problem free camry's over the years and our 97 land cruiser AKA "the TANK" (which is almost completely original accept a heater hose, radiator and starters) and it caused me to take a hard look at Toyota/Lexus

I gravitated to the GS for its sporty design and feel. In 2010 I test drove the 350, 350AWD and the 460 before settling on a used 450h as it was and is a blast to drive but not as good as a BMW w sport pkg. That being said its getting a bit dated and I'll be ready to move on next year. I LOVE the intr of the current GSs but i feel the style is a bit chuncky and the spindle grill does nothing for me. I've driven the new GS's on a few occasions and they still don't perform as good as a BMW.

However my Lex has been nearly trouble free for 4 years. Even when there were issues I could continue to drive the car. It never shut off on me or refused to start and this is a hybrid full of electronics! That kind of reliability is note worthy. It also runs circles around ALL competition when it comes to MPG and the new GSH does even better! So were talking an average of 30MPG vs BMWs 16.

GS 350F or 450h-
A reliable comfortable sport sedan that will probably serve me the next 5 years almost trouble free.

BMW 650
A better overall driving experience. Better looking and even more comfortable IMO. But Ill pay more in maintenance, gas and chances are have more issues.

Has a current owner faced this conundrum?

Last edited by L8Apex; 10-02-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 07:56 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

How about the 2015 gs450h f sport? best of both worlds on the GS side. MPG and fun.
Old 10-02-14, 08:19 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

I thought that wasn't an option in the US?
Old 10-02-14, 08:21 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I would consider the new 2015 GS 450h F-Sport Hybrid coming out. I can tell you we have nothing but problems with out 2013 BMW X5 and its only got 2K on it and we have have a list of issue's pretty sad. Last issue was the door flung open good thing she was buckled in or she would have flew out.
Old 10-02-14, 08:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Have you put any thought into leasing a BMW?
Old 10-02-14, 08:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The door opens when the car is moving? Dafaaaqqq?!?!!
Old 10-02-14, 08:44 AM
doctordank
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was like you, looking at m5 or lexus and every carfax for bmw seemed littered with expensive maintenance items throughout while the lexus had routine items but nothing like bmw. I leaned towards lexus so I could spend my free money on my kids and car mods, not maintenance repairs. Looking back I have no regrets and with the money you save, you can tweak the lexus to perform better and match the sporty, tight feel of the bmw.
Old 10-02-14, 08:51 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was debating on almost the same thing. My lease will be up very soon and I was looking into purchasing a used vehicle next. I hear many people on this forum and many other forums that I've been on that BMW has many issues. However, all the friends and relatives that I personally know of, NEVER had a problem with purchasing a used BMW so I am very iffy about this topic. I am assuming its more of a GAMBLE going with USED BMW but with LEXUS/TOYOTA , you can never go wrong since they are one of the most reliable brands.

I think it comes down to this. Are you willing to pay couple of more bucks for the maintenance for the BMW and LOVE to drive it? Or are you willing to save your money and go with the safe side?

I came to the GS since I wanted to keep this car after the lease is up but it is a little boring for me to drive. So I am looking into used M3 and used 650 just like you
Old 10-02-14, 10:07 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

BMW = Break My Wallet. They're fun as hell to drive, and beautiful to look at, but a nightmare to own. My ex used to drive a 330ci, and that thing would drain her bank account on a yearly basis, averaging like $3,000/yr in repairs, on top of the routine maintenance. My brother's 5-series wasn't any different, and neither have all the others my friends/family have owned. I'd snag up the GS350F if I were you, they're beautiful cars.
Old 10-02-14, 10:13 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar debate w/ myself but I was looking at the S4 or A6 vs GS. The Audi's power is intoxicating, but I went w/ Lexus for the reliability (and I got a better deal). Going to the dealership to address issues is time from my life I'm not going to get back.

As BB06 mentioned, the 2015 GS 450h will be available with the F-Sport package so it should get the suspension upgrades and you'll have the great gas mileage. It's a great choice.

If you don't mind a smaller car, the only comparable Lexus model that has the power of the 650's V8 is the new RC-F. I'm not sure if you were looking at the 650 GrandSport or the coupe so the size of the RC-F may/may not work for you. But you'll get Lexus reliability and 460+hp to play with.

Last edited by blacksun; 10-02-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I know plenty of people in real life who have BMWs and have plenty of problems. You have to anticipate that if you got the 6 it would be in the shop more often than a GS. If I did the 6 I would only do CPO, and I would only keep it until the end of the CPO warranty. I'd own a GS out of warranty with no concern.

The 6 is going to be the better car to drive, its a class better than the GS really, and is a significantly more expensive car new. But, its already 4-5 years old, and if you're going to keep it 5 years it'll be 9-10 years old while the GS will only be a maximum of 7.

In your situation I'd get the GS.
Old 10-02-14, 10:45 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Previous owner of BMW out of warranty and have no plans to ever go back. Yes, wonderful car but maintenance is a concern. Even when it was under the extended warranty, the trips to the dealer got old real quick. I think that the GS is a smart compromise and I have enjoyed my trouble free driving immensely,
Old 10-02-14, 10:56 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Have you put any thought into leasing a BMW?
A little. I've always purchased in the past. But that is an option as maintenance will be covered.

Originally Posted by doctordank
I was like you, looking at m5 or lexus .... Looking back I have no regrets and with the money you save, you can tweak the lexus to perform better and match the sporty, tight feel of the bmw.
I dont think its possible to tweak the 450 and the 350 lacks in torque. I really wish they didnt scrap the V8. But money towards family is prob the way ill go. No regrets huh??

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
BMW = Break My Wallet.
LOL oh so true.
Old 10-02-14, 11:03 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st - Current F-sport is better driving than current BMWs, BMW is not what it was
2nd - Buying a BMW out of warranty requires a lot of additional budgeting
3rd - The 6 series looks a lot like a Sebring to me.

So obviously I am favoring the Lexus and that is what I bought.

I'd rather look at a used Panamera if I was looking for a step-up from the Lexus in sportiness. Still going to have expensive maintenance, but at least the car is worth it.
Old 10-02-14, 11:55 AM
doctordank
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L8Apex
A little. I've always purchased in the past. But that is an option as maintenance will be covered.

I dont think its possible to tweak the 450 and the 350 lacks in torque. I really wish they didnt scrap the V8. But money towards family is prob the way ill go. No regrets huh??

LOL oh so true.
Not a one

I/H/E will help that, along with tighten suspension with coils, sway, etc.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 650 or 2013 GSF or 450h