GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Put my new J5 coilovers on my awd f sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 03:22 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Put my new J5 coilovers on my awd f sport (pic)

Man I hate working on the suspension as it takes fairly long.

I'm going to lower the rear another centimeter or so as this was how it came out my first time with estimating height.

Some notes for those doing it.

- the stock top insulation rubber for the springs in the rear does not fit the coilover however the bottom does. I made a thin gasket out of rubber to ensue no noises from the spring perch touching the body

-no directions on how high the shock body should be in the rear so I assumed about 2 inches from stock shock length

-Awd fronts are way different than rwd so be prepared that any DIY doesn't relate to the front of the awd

-measure measure measure - all coilovers for this car are not too easy to set height after they are fully on the car so do all you can to calculate your desired height. You most likely will have to adjust 1 time after getting them on.

-remember the position of your AVS motors in the stock position and the brackets (take a pic of each in stock form so you can put it back exactly that way) when putting it all back with the new coilovers

-quality of these coilovers seems pretty good overall ill report back after driving on them for more time I've only gone around the block so far (I have 10kg and 8kg springs and have the shocks/struts set to medium setting as per the j5 recco)

-less bounce noticed than with just the springs on the car and a smoother ride (as mentioned I haven't driven too much on them yet)

-it was easy dealing with J5 on the purchase and shipping to me in canada

Here the car sits now - better pics to come as I just took this with my phone. It's nice to know I have height adjustability a matched spring/shock ride and the AVS still works!

Last edited by JEFFOS69; 09-07-14 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 04:16 PM
Leonboy
Driver

Love my J5 coilovers.I finally have mine dialed in to my liking(about 3 times for me as I am very **** about perfectly balanced dropped). glad I waited for these. Very good quality and great service.
Old 09-08-14, 11:10 AM
J5usa
Driver

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
Man I hate working on the suspension as it takes fairly long.

I'm going to lower the rear another centimeter or so as this was how it came out my first time with estimating height.

Some notes for those doing it.

- the stock top insulation rubber for the springs in the rear does not fit the coilover however the bottom does. I made a thin gasket out of rubber to ensue no noises from the spring perch touching the body

-no directions on how high the shock body should be in the rear so I assumed about 2 inches from stock shock length

-Awd fronts are way different than rwd so be prepared that any DIY doesn't relate to the front of the awd

-measure measure measure - all coilovers for this car are not too easy to set height after they are fully on the car so do all you can to calculate your desired height. You most likely will have to adjust 1 time after getting them on.

-remember the position of your AVS motors in the stock position and the brackets (take a pic of each in stock form so you can put it back exactly that way) when putting it all back with the new coilovers

-quality of these coilovers seems pretty good overall ill report back after driving on them for more time I've only gone around the block so far (I have 10kg and 8kg springs and have the shocks/struts set to medium setting as per the j5 recco)

-less bounce noticed than with just the springs on the car and a smoother ride (as mentioned I haven't driven too much on them yet)

-it was easy dealing with J5 on the purchase and shipping to me in canada

Here the car sits now - better pics to come as I just took this with my phone. It's nice to know I have height adjustability a matched spring/shock ride and the AVS still works!

good write up Jeff, hit me up if you have any questions, I am available 7 days a week and your car looks clean
Old 09-08-14, 11:13 AM
J5usa
Driver

Originally Posted by Leonboy
Love my J5 coilovers.I finally have mine dialed in to my liking(about 3 times for me as I am very **** about perfectly balanced dropped). glad I waited for these. Very good quality and great service.
Thank you for your kind words you have my number if you need anything.
Old 09-08-14, 03:43 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Drove to work and back - a bit of a clunk in the front but I know that's because I just need to tighten the centre nut. I'll do that now.

Car drives great and so smooth - very pleased with the ride. I should have skipped the sprjngs and went right to coilovers but I was waiting for these - glad I did.