Nav Display

Old 08-10-14, 09:52 PM
12thManGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Display

Hello everyone,
I just got a 14 gs350 this morning.
Can anyone tell me how to switch off the side display on the large nav screen?
I would like to have the map across the entire area.

Thanks
Looking forward to talking to everyone,

Robert ( GO HAWKS)
Old 08-10-14, 11:02 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately that's not possible. The only time the entire screen is used is when you are in the menu.
Old 08-11-14, 05:28 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The main purpose of this large widescreen is to display multiple things at the same time like Navigation and Audio. Or Navigation and climate crontrol. Its design to allow some multitasking ability. If you could make the nav fill the whole screen or a dvd movie to fill the whole screen it would defeat this whole purpose.
Old 08-11-14, 07:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

It's better if they give us the "option" to use the whole screen or half the screen to multitask.
Old 08-11-14, 12:15 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 12thManGS
Hello everyone,
I just got a 14 gs350 this morning.
Can anyone tell me how to switch off the side display on the large nav screen?
I would like to have the map across the entire area.

Thanks
Looking forward to talking to everyone,

Robert ( GO HAWKS)
This is the question I want to ask for a long time.

I believe we can do it. This is programming thing, just add a function to it.
Old 08-11-14, 02:25 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just about everyone who's been in my car has asked me if I can have the entire screen display the navigation map. It's a programming issue, but my guess is Lexus will have this option in future(2015??) models but WILL NOT issue a software update for current model GS's. This is an issue that ticks me off no end. How can Apple give out free updated OS's, with new features, to previous generation phones and computers, even those with older technology (computer chips) but Lexus will never do an OS upgrade. And if it is truly because of computer chips that can't have an OS upgrade, then that was a deliberate decision to use that silicon(chip).
Old 08-11-14, 03:00 PM
12thManGS
Driver School Candidate

This is definitely poor design on their part.
Old 08-11-14, 03:25 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Lexus has a design roadmap with each model. They all ready know what features will be changed whenever the GS is schelduled for a refresh. And they purposly hold back some features. It's just crazy how fast technology is evolving, and just insane to have a non upgradeable nav system that is obsolete within a year or two.
Old 08-12-14, 06:02 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It all boils down to revenue and profits. If they had made the car perfect there would be no need for us to trade in our car for a new model year.

Also even though Apple gives out free software OS upgrades they hold back technology just like any other company. For example they release the iphone 4 and about less than a year they release a iphone 4s or iphone 5 then iphone 5s. People I know have been complaining about how apple refuse to release an iphone with a bigger screen. They definatly have the technology and manpower to make an iphone with a bigger screen but decide to hold back because small incremental update to the hardware will make them the most money because it forces people wo want the newer tech to buy the new version. This is why I refuse to buy an Apple product.
Old 08-12-14, 08:45 AM
jkeller
Advanced

That Apple small screen size issue will end next month. Head over to macrumors.com for everything Apple talk.
Old 08-12-14, 08:56 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
It all boils down to revenue and profits. If they had made the car perfect there would be no need for us to trade in our car for a new model year. Also even though Apple gives out free software OS upgrades they hold back technology just like any other company. For example they release the iphone 4 and about less than a year they release a iphone 4s or iphone 5 then iphone 5s. People I know have been complaining about how apple refuse to release an iphone with a bigger screen. They definatly have the technology and manpower to make an iphone with a bigger screen but decide to hold back because small incremental update to the hardware will make them the most money because it forces people wo want the newer tech to buy the new version. This is why I refuse to buy an Apple product.
Can't the same be said about Samsung's Galaxy S line? And they don't even wait a full year before releasing the next phone in the lineup... Just about every business's goal is to make the highest profit margin achievable and this is a surefire way of doing just that.
Old 08-12-14, 09:10 AM
wgu8213
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeller
That Apple small screen size issue will end next month. Head over to macrumors.com for everything Apple talk.
I hate this trend Samsung started. Bigger screens are not always better. I don't need a phone the size of a dessert plate in my pocket.
Old 08-12-14, 09:24 AM
jkeller
Advanced

There are a ton of threads on macrumors with that same sentiment. Not me though, I've got fat fingers and I'm ready for bigger screens. Hopefully Apple won't make that larger phone have a split screen.
Old 08-12-14, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I too am not thrilled about bigger phone screens. I actually preferred the screen on my iPhone 4 vs my 5.
Old 08-12-14, 12:16 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I Have both the iPhone 5 and a Note 3, and I can never carry the Note 3 without a backpack, that thing is just too damn big to fit in my pocket or on the belt.

Even the iPhone 5 gets in the way sometimes when I get in the car cause I have it on my belt, but I can still live with it.

Bigger screen is nice to look at but not to carry around with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nav Display