GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F sport brakes on GS luxury edition

Old 08-17-14, 04:31 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F sport brakes on GS luxury edition

I wish my 2014 GS had the F Sport brakes. Is it difficult to swap calipers and possibly rotors?
Old 08-17-14, 04:45 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

other than the F Sport rotors being 2 piece, they are pretty much the same. not worth changing imo
Old 08-17-14, 08:41 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, but they DO look cool. it's like the Z06 brakes in a Vette. I think this has been discussed before.
Old 08-17-14, 08:46 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brakes come with luxury model?

Is it true the 2015s will have luxury and f sport combined?

Last edited by Sosodef79; 08-17-14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 12:42 AM
EndlessRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobBass
Yes, but they DO look cool. it's like the Z06 brakes in a Vette. I think this has been discussed before.
If looking cool is your objective...you can always opt for slotted/dimpled rotors instead of a bona-fide 2-piece. frankly a 2-piece is not necessary on any road-going car, you'll only see your money's worth on a track.
Old 08-18-14, 05:23 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

People on this forum who has had fsports with two piece floating rotors and bigger brakes has complained of brake squeal that is very loud and embarrasing. I highly recromend you instead just get slotted or drilled rotors or if you really want to show off just buy the BBK from Stoptech or Brembo, whick I think would be better that lexuses two piece junk.
Old 08-18-14, 06:43 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

I had an F Sport loaner and felt the brakes were more responsive than the ones on my luxury. Looking for more stopping power. Not interested in the looks.
Old 08-18-14, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
People on this forum who has had fsports with two piece floating rotors and bigger brakes has complained of brake squeal that is very loud and embarrasing. I highly recromend you instead just get slotted or drilled rotors or if you really want to show off just buy the BBK from Stoptech or Brembo, whick I think would be better that lexuses two piece junk.
There is a TSB to get that fixed (pad change) with no cost to you. Honestly unless its truly cost effective I would jump to Brembo.....
Old 08-19-14, 08:37 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
There is a TSB to get that fixed (pad change) with no cost to you. Honestly unless its truly cost effective I would jump to Brembo.....
Yep, I had the TSB applied, zero squeaks since.
Old 08-20-14, 04:15 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EndlessRed
If looking cool is your objective...you can always opt for slotted/dimpled rotors instead of a bona-fide 2-piece. frankly a 2-piece is not necessary on any road-going car, you'll only see your money's worth on a track.
I think it depends on how you drive. On a daily basis my AWD's OEM brakes are great.

On weekends I join a few other car guys to go drive the back roads up in the mountains near me. Bombing down a mountain into a series of switchbacks and my brakes will start to over heat and fade pretty quickly so I have to back off. I can usually keep up w/ the Jags, Audis and BMWs up until then.

OP - I'm not sure how much better the F-Sport bakes are, but I'd compare their price to an aftermarket BBK. You might find you can get a significant improvement in braking performance for a slight premium over an F-Sport brake swap. Good luck!

Last edited by blacksun; 08-20-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 07:45 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Sorry - what does BBK mean?
Old 08-20-14, 08:01 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Big Brake Kit

Usually means lighter weight 2 piece rotors and large 4-6 piston calipers for spirited driving and improved performance braking.

Benefits are twofold :
1) Purely braking related : Increased and prolonged braking performance during hard braking
2) Non braking related : lighter mass/weight of the BBK over stock brakes means less unsprung weight at the wheels, leading to a more responsive and better performing suspension and slightly better acceleration

The 4th Gen F-Sport RWD GS is the only mainstream sports sedan with BBK stock from the factory with 4 piston calipers and larger 14 inch 2 piece rotors.

You can read more about the RWD F-Sport GS suspension here( including the stock BBK) :

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

The relevant portion of the article :

The F Sport GS has 14-inch two-piece front rotors and four-piston fixed brake calipers that are neither red (gasp!) nor sourced from Brembo. The brake pads within cover an area of 8.15 square inches, about 32 percent more than the standard 2013 GS front brakes, which grip smaller 13.1-inch rotors.

The functional cooling duct that shoots cool air at them isn't new this year, but the size of the duct has been significantly enlarged and the passage from the bumper is much more of a straight shot.

Last edited by natnut; 08-20-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 10:48 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great info natnut! Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking I may upgrade to drilled rotors for better cooling and performance pads that will operate better at higher temps to help with the fade.
Old 08-21-14, 12:04 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine are dusty. But I like 'em big!
Old 08-21-14, 05:35 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep in mind those big rotors need a little extra cooling. There are functional cutouts in the F Sport lower fascia that guides air to them. Of course this is for track days or heavy driving but something the engineers thought was a good idea.

Drilled rotors + ceramic pads are a decent idea, but drilled rotors are weaker. They are prone to cracking in extremes, like riding the brakes hard then splashing through puddles. There are lots of Gumball pictures that show this happening to pretty expensive AMG's and other fast cars. I'd go slotted but they don't look as cool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F sport brakes on GS luxury edition