GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lease and DIY oil change and maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 04:23 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lease and DIY oil change and maintenance question

Hello everyone, so I finally pulled the trigger on a 2016gs. Paul from Thousand Oaks was really nice and straight forward with the deal.

Anyway, 'my question is if I change the oil myself and do all of the maintenance that required will lexus give me troubles at the end of the lease?

also any good website on maintenance parts? Coming from Honda with bernardiparts.com and a few more dealer with competitive oem part online seem cant find anything for lexus. Thank you! And happy thanksgiving
Old 11-24-16, 07:29 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I recently returned a leased BMW - never once did they ask for ANY maintenance documentation. We have leased Lexus RX's in the past (three of them) and the same thing was true. This also goes for a few other vehicles (Acura, Jeep, etc.).

If the car is not maintained properly (like oil changes for example) you may experience some type of engine failure. Lexus would be able to tell if the failure was due to neglect. If this were to happen, I feel certain you would need to present some type of proof of maintenance. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any problem with maintaining it yourself. I am quite certain that even when people have their car serviced at a shop, they may not keep the receipts. I guess there's a chance they could rely on that shop to keep records, but it's doubtful that would work 100% of the time.

On a related note, I used to perform all my own maintenance too. Disposing of the oil proved to be a pain and sometimes quite messy. Plus I only saved a few bucks. All that coupled with the fact that there are now a couple of local shops that will do the oil change AND provide a free $15 car wash. So instead of maintenance, I spend those weekends detailing my car and/or tinkering (illuminated door sills, LED bulbs, etc.).