GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's your plan after the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The problem with the GS is for long legged people your knees contact the seatback in the front. That creates issues with long distance travel because you cannot readjust over time to keep yourself comfortable. Sure you can spread your legs...but thats only comfortable for so long.

Materials are excellent in the LS, but they are also excellent in the GS. Better in the LS obviously due to the price difference.
Old 07-02-14, 12:51 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The GS-F would be a great upgrade, but sometimes I feel like my GS is huge. I'm coming from a 350Z so I know that's skewing my perception of what's "big". Regardless, I think my next ride will probably be something a bit smaller with a little more power. (Better mileage would be cool too.) I'm thinking:

IS-F - If they decide to make one (and hopefully Lexus changes the current IS's wacky headlights)
Q50S Hybrid - 360hp + 28/36mpg sounds perfect.
S60 R-Design - Good value and really strong engine. Current model's lame interior should be upgraded soon.
S4 - Engine is a beast.
Old 07-02-14, 01:48 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
The GS-F would be a great upgrade, but sometimes I feel like my GS is huge. I'm coming from a 350Z so I know that's skewing my perception of what's "big". Regardless, I think my next ride will probably be something a bit smaller with a little more power. (Better mileage would be cool too.) I'm thinking:

IS-F - If they decide to make one (and hopefully Lexus changes the current IS's wacky headlights)
Q50S Hybrid - 360hp + 28/36mpg sounds perfect.
S60 R-Design - Good value and really strong engine. Current model's lame interior should be upgraded soon.
S4 - Engine is a beast.
Q50s- i hated the steering. In sport mode it is way to sporty, more like track ready, and in regular mode it is loose as fk. Trust me, test drive it first. I hated the car bc i could not find a happy medium steering seting.

I owned the volvo s60R a 2004 model, before they made it looks like crap, fast car, comfortable, great steering, poor turn around radius and too many minor issues. Like burning oil and electical issues with subwofer.

S4 i liked it. But the design a bit lame. Same foes for s5

Last edited by FastTags; 07-02-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 02:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jjscsix
When the current LS came out I wanted one bad. I finally drove one a few weeks ago. It is a very nice car....unless you lean towards performance sedans. The car did absolutely nothing for me. My BMW 550 is a night and day better car for me and costs about the same. Before anyone bashes me, I repeat that I'm not knocking the car, just saying it's not for everyone. My 89 year old father would love it. He and my mom have a Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne.
I didn't realize performance meant 0-60 only? My F-sport might be on the lower end of power but I knew that going into it. It does have a LSD, Paddle Shifters with Rev Match for better performance when slowing down as well as huge Brembo brakes, a sport tuned air suspension and oem forged BBS wheels. I looked at the Tesla, Range Rover sport and from BMW the M5 (and some other cars). The 5 series is a step below the LS and we already have a GS F-sport and in Miami every other car is a 5 series. I still love the looks and the tt V-8 pulls extremely hard, much stronger than any stock LS.

I'm 36 so maybe I'm just old. There was a time when BMW used to be mostly for enthusiasts but today, its mostly flabby automatics being leased and some people still acting like they still dominate sports sedan based on their past performance. They no longer do. If some people think more power means performance, more power to them and kudos to BMW for offering the V-8 still. The 5 series weighs now as much as a LS, which was unheard of years ago but it is now based on the 7 series.

While the LS is not for everyone, it seems the 5 series is for everyone.
Old 07-02-14, 02:52 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its a lot bigger. Not so much in the front, but in the rear.
You're right I was only referring to the front seats. The rears have been occupied maybe 5x in the last 2 years so I have no idea.

The GS-F would be a great upgrade, but sometimes I feel like my GS is huge. I'm coming from a 350Z so I know that's skewing my perception of what's "big".
I think it took me at least 3-4 months for me to get used to the GS coming from a BMW 335i sedan and a C6 corvette. Now the GS is just perfect. So yeah it will take some time for you to get used to the size. If I decide to downside I'm sure I'll get used to it too.
Old 07-02-14, 03:23 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastTags
Q50s- i hated the steering. In sport mode it is way to sporty, more like track ready, and in regular mode it is loose as fk. Trust me, test drive it first. I hated the car bc i could not find a happy medium steering seting.

I owned the volvo s60R a 2004 model, before they made it looks like crap, fast car, comfortable, great steering, poor turn around radius and too many minor issues. Like burning oil and electical issues with subwofer.

S4 i liked it. But the design a bit lame. Same foes for s5
I did take the Q50s (AWD non-hybrid) on a very short test drive. On local roads at low speeds I honestly couldn't really judge its performance. The steering didn't seem "bad", but not really good either. I was left feeling indifferent about the car overall.

The only things I wish my GS had are more HP and better mileage. On paper, Q50s hybrid has both of those, so I'll probably take a second look at it when the time comes.
Old 07-02-14, 03:50 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did take the Q50s (AWD non-hybrid) on a very short test drive. On local roads at low speeds I honestly couldn't really judge its performance. The steering didn't seem "bad", but not really good either. I was left feeling indifferent about the car overall.

The only things I wish my GS had are more HP and better mileage. On paper, Q50s hybrid has both of those, so I'll probably take a second look at it when the time comes.
yeah, the Q50s does look good on paper. Let us know when you test drive it again. Perhaps by that time they will fix the steering. Even Car and driver said that the steering is just horrible.
Old 07-02-14, 05:56 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I didn't realize performance meant 0-60 only? My F-sport might be on the lower end of power but I knew that going into it. It does have a LSD, Paddle Shifters with Rev Match for better performance when slowing down as well as huge Brembo brakes, a sport tuned air suspension and oem forged BBS wheels. I looked at the Tesla, Range Rover sport and from BMW the M5 (and some other cars). The 5 series is a step below the LS and we already have a GS F-sport and in Miami every other car is a 5 series. I still love the looks and the tt V-8 pulls extremely hard, much stronger than any stock LS.

I'm 36 so maybe I'm just old. There was a time when BMW used to be mostly for enthusiasts but today, its mostly flabby automatics being leased and some people still acting like they still dominate sports sedan based on their past performance. They no longer do. If some people think more power means performance, more power to them and kudos to BMW for offering the V-8 still. The 5 series weighs now as much as a LS, which was unheard of years ago but it is now based on the 7 series.

While the LS is not for everyone, it seems the 5 series is for everyone.
I read my post very carefully to see why you made the comment about the 0-60. Oh, I didn't refer to straight line speed at all in the post you quoted. I'm simply sharing my feelings about the two cars. Neither our GS nor the LS I drove were F-Sport versions.

As to your comment about the BMW - I've heard it all. No, the new one is not as hard edged as earlier 5's, but it's still a lot better performance car than the LS. Maybe the F-Sport is better - but like I said, I didn't drive one. The thing about the LS though is that it has the performance of a GS (or 535) and the gas mileage of a 550 BMW. But the BMW will eat it alive - yes, 0-60 or any other speed contest.

Like I said in my previous post - I get that it's a fine car for people who want what it offers. It's just not for me.
Old 07-02-14, 06:42 PM
LexFather

I read my post very carefully to see why you made the comment about the 0-60. Oh, I didn't refer to straight line speed at all in the post you quoted. I'm simply sharing my feelings about the two cars. Neither our GS nor the LS I drove were F-Sport versions.

As to your comment about the BMW - I've heard it all. No, the new one is not as hard edged as earlier 5's, but it's still a lot better performance car than the LS. Maybe the F-Sport is better - but like I said, I didn't drive one. The thing about the LS though is that it has the performance of a GS (or 535) and the gas mileage of a 550 BMW. But the BMW will eat it alive - yes, 0-60 or any other speed contest.

Like I said in my previous post - I get that it's a fine car for people who want what it offers. It's just not for me.
The 5 series and LS are in completely different classes. The LS fights the 7 series head on. Most LS buyers are not considering a 5 series. We are well aware of people coming here telling us how the Lexus V-8 is underpowered (if its even offered). It was in my mind but ultimately didn't effect my buying decision (lets also note the LS V-8 gets slightly worse MPG as well lol).

The LS F-sport is no Porsche 911 but it is substantially sportier than the non F-sport. I forgot to add it includes a sport + setting as well. And I've driven all versions of the 5 series and it drives like an LS in many ways, bigger and slow to react. Again there is no denying the power of the 550

Its always funny when I explain my F-sport as most people seem to think its just a bodykit. It is far deeper than that.
Old 07-03-14, 12:22 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is not a faith you devote yourself for. It quiet funny to see how people of faith argue. Missioners of a faith!

I never liked BMW mainly because of what kind of people drive them here in Sweden. Predictability is an open door to your profile. Thats why I have chosen Lexus mostly since I became able to buy a car. In Europe Lexus has never gained the same territory/market share as the US. Its still rare and most people regard it as a Toyota. Which is really all what its about. A shape shifter with some bite. I gazed my eyes on M5 and M6 (Gran coupe is just drop them dead) or even X6, and just know Lexus will never cut it. And for the reliability argument which BMW suffers I would say so much power is heard in every material sustainability you build your car with. Powerfull cars wear down faster. I can afford every one of these engineering's marvels physically and still cant afford them mentally.
Old 07-03-14, 04:46 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by LexFather
The 5 series and LS are in completely different classes. The LS fights the 7 series head on. Most LS buyers are not considering a 5 series. We are well aware of people coming here telling us how the Lexus V-8 is underpowered (if its even offered). It was in my mind but ultimately didn't effect my buying decision (lets also note the LS V-8 gets slightly worse MPG as well lol).

The LS F-sport is no Porsche 911 but it is substantially sportier than the non F-sport. I forgot to add it includes a sport + setting as well. And I've driven all versions of the 5 series and it drives like an LS in many ways, bigger and slow to react. Again there is no denying the power of the 550

Its always funny when I explain my F-sport as most people seem to think its just a bodykit. It is far deeper than that.
The typical 7 series has a list price of about $95,000 whereas the typical LS is in the upper $70s. My 550 listed for $76,000, which is almost identical to the 2014 LS I drove. So to me they are in the same class.

I understand all of your comments, and fundamentally don't disagree with you. But if you read my posts carefully you will see that I was simply saying that for me the 5 series is much more to my liking. BTW, I think you are not stupid, you probably know that the current 5 series is nothing more than a shortened 7 series. Other than length the two cars are damn near identical.
Old 07-03-14, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Price alone doesn't dictate what car competes with what car. The LS and the 5 Series aren't the same type of car.
Old 07-03-14, 06:26 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Price alone doesn't dictate what car competes with what car. The LS and the 5 Series aren't the same type of car.
I obviously know that. That's why I have a BMW and not a LS. But I don't think it's as simple as some folks make it either, and this thread is a perfect example. Go back and read all the different vehicles people are considering next. Everyone has their own idea of what competes with what. A Corvette is not a competitor to a GS, but there are people on this forum who are trying decide between the two - so that means that to that one person they are competitors. Its never as cut and dried as some folks want it to be (some folks live in a black-and-white world).
Old 07-03-14, 06:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

When the current LS came out I wanted one bad. I finally drove one a few weeks ago. It is a very nice car....unless you lean towards performance sedans. The car did absolutely nothing for me. My BMW 550 is a night and day better car for me and costs about the same. Before anyone bashes me, I repeat that I'm not knocking the car, just saying it's not for everyone. My 89 year old father would love it. He and my mom have a Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne.
I'm actually going to agree with you, the LS is not as sporty as it could be but it is getting there. The 2014 BMW 750 which is a better comparison is better than the LS, that car handles and feels like a 3 series car maybe I'm over stepping but I pushed that car and it felt so well planted and didn't feel like the Mercedes S class which to be honest the Lexus LS falls right in between the BMW 7 and the S class. I still love the LS and would still get one, but in terms of performance the LS is working its way there but is not there yet.
Old 07-03-14, 08:40 AM
LexFather

The typical 7 series has a list price of about $95,000 whereas the typical LS is in the upper $70s. My 550 listed for $76,000, which is almost identical to the 2014 LS I drove. So to me they are in the same class.

I understand all of your comments, and fundamentally don't disagree with you. But if you read my posts carefully you will see that I was simply saying that for me the 5 series is much more to my liking. BTW, I think you are not stupid, you probably know that the current 5 series is nothing more than a shortened 7 series. Other than length the two cars are damn near identical.
The 750 is in the 90k range, the 740 (6 cylinder) is easily in the 75-85k range. My LS F sport had a list MSRP of 87k. I also considered the A8 L diesel (the 800 mile range was just amazing to me) and it was in the 90k range but you could get an A8 6 cylinder for the same price as a V-8 LS.

And jjscsix I've stated quite a few times for all intents and purposes, the 5 series is the complete car for most people.

Quick Reply: What's your plan after the 4GS?