GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's your plan after the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 11:52 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually drive my cars for about 5-7 years. Life sometimes throws a monkey wrench in the cogs. If you told me that I would be driving a GS 5 years ago, I probably would have laughed. Now the GSF and LS is on the list of future cars....but hell, so is a <gasp> Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.
Old 09-09-14, 04:24 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
as my daily driver, especially a body on frame SUV.
I literally laughed out loud at this. I live in a truck town, so people only drive trucks. I hate trucks personally and grew up with them. But I'd have to admit GMs SUVs are super nice to live with. You don't know what you're saying. Really. If someone were to drop a 2015 LTZ Tahoe in your driveway for a month, I could almost guarantee you wouldn't want to give it back. It's the base model body on frames that are miserable. That I would not want for a daily driver. Or to drive at all...
Old 09-09-14, 04:48 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I test drove the GX since I need a little more room. I had it for two days. Surprisingly this thing is really nice. I was surprised that I wasnt turned off by the high clearance. It's not as luxurious inside as my GS but IMO it looks a lot more luxury outside than my GS. When I dropped it off to pick up mine I just realized how simple the GS looked. I know its apple and orange but that was how I felt. I will be giving up some nice luxurious features esp the seats and displays and the acceleration ( ) but I will gain some other things. I seriously consider it. We all felt like we were on an airplane. That was how comfortable it is. I have to admit that I kind of didnt want to give it back.
Old 09-09-14, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
You don't know what you're saying. Really. If someone were to drop a 2015 LTZ Tahoe in your driveway for a month, I could almost guarantee you wouldn't want to give it back.
I actually do know what I'm saying. I also have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, a very nice, luxurious, air suspended SUV that rides great and I enjoy it very much. Would I want to drive it as my daily driver? No. Its my wife's primary ride and if we go on a trip or something and we drive it, while I enjoy driving it I'm always very happy to get back into my luxury sedan when the trip is over. I have owned several SUVs in my life, and while I like them a lot for a lot of different reasons, overall I just find them more fatiguing to drive, harder to park, no matter how nice they are. You may disagree and thats fine, but I definitely know what I am saying when I say *i* would not want an SUV as my daily driver.

Good friend of mine just got a new Tahoe LTZ and I've ridden in it and driven it. Do I like it? Yes. Would I have interest in buying it for my personal vehicle? Absolutely not.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I test drove the GX since I need a little more room. I had it for two days. Surprisingly this thing is really nice.
The GX is a really nice vehicle, I seriously considered one before we got the Jeep. I just know that I personally would miss owning a nice sedan once the novelty wore off. Like I said above I really like our Jeep, and in some ways its actually nicer inside than the GS, but I drive a lot and I spend a lot of time in the car and any SUV, especially a larger one like the GX wouldn't appeal to me as a daily driver. Not to mention additional fuel costs...

If you like it and want to do it though, go for it. You only live once. I know a lot of people who have the GX, and its a very classy looking vehicle. Its a luxury SUV over 6,500 pounds GVWR so a lot of us realtors buy them for the enormous tax savings.

That shows you right there how much I prefer a luxury sedan to an SUV...I passed on the entire depreciated writeoff in the first year that I would have gotten had I gotten a GX instead of a GS. My accountant about blew a gasket.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-09-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 06:47 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^You proved your point. I was wrong My sister has a '14 Overland as well and I really like it... Far better than my wife's '14 4Runner. I absolutely think the 4Runner is aweful!! I do not like the way it drives.

Has anyone looked at a Taurus SHO? My friend just got one, it's nice but kind of a weird big car. My feelings are mixed about it.
Old 09-10-14, 12:03 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I test drove the GX since I need a little more room. I had it for two days. Surprisingly this thing is really nice. I was surprised that I wasnt turned off by the high clearance. It's not as luxurious inside as my GS but IMO it looks a lot more luxury outside than my GS. When I dropped it off to pick up mine I just realized how simple the GS looked. I know its apple and orange but that was how I felt. I will be giving up some nice luxurious features esp the seats and displays and the acceleration ( ) but I will gain some other things. I seriously consider it. We all felt like we were on an airplane. That was how comfortable it is. I have to admit that I kind of didnt want to give it back.

Get the GS450h F-Sport with those mean looking tri-LED headlights and the F-Sport front fascia and I'm betting you won't find it simple looking anymore.

Old 09-10-14, 09:50 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I know a lot of the 4GS members are coming up on the end of 3 year leases. I'm about half way through mine, I usually trade 6 months early, so I've got roughly a year left. Certainly too soon to shop...but I figured it would be fun to see what the rest of you were thinking about doing next.

Me? I'm not sure. I might buy the GS, but probably not. I love the GS, so I could definitely see myself upgrading to a 2016 refresh model. Or...I'm seriously considering going for it and upgrading to an LS...which is really what I've always wanted. We'll see how the leases look a year from now.

Looking forward to the responses.
I have 3,000 miles on my fully loaded GS 350 with every safety gadget Lexus offers.

I absolutely love my 2014 which surpasses my old 2008 GS 350 in so many ways I can't count.

What's next? I see another GS in my future, as I had a 1998 before my 2008. I drive with myself or with my wife 99% of the time, so an LS is something that doesn't interest me.

What would make me pull the plug? Significant enhancements in safety or the 5GS, whichever comes first.
Old 09-11-14, 08:34 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
I have 3,000 miles on my fully loaded GS 350 with every safety gadget Lexus offers.

I absolutely love my 2014 which surpasses my old 2008 GS 350 in so many ways I can't count.

What's next? I see another GS in my future, as I had a 1998 before my 2008. I drive with myself or with my wife 99% of the time, so an LS is something that doesn't interest me.

What would make me pull the plug? Significant enhancements in safety or the 5GS, whichever comes first.
The LS is also a very old car as far as model years go. I think the last I read it was 7 or 8 years old despite getting new bumpers and headlights. Like the Infiniti M37, it's long overdue for a total refresh. Still a nice car though.
Old 09-11-14, 07:51 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short list:
GSh
Mercedes E-Class BlueTec Hybrid
Tesla Model X
Old 09-14-14, 05:36 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my GS, so I will probably keep it until the warranty is up. After that, I am really liking the redesign of F150. How's that for a radical change?

I love the new S-Class, but it's more than I am willing to drop on a car. Honestly most of the mid size luxury offerings are becoming too expensive for what they are, IMO. I drove the E350 before I bought the GS, and unless you wanted the stripped down model it was $65k 2 years ago, wasn't really worth it, IMO. Perhaps I am just getting old.......