GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Kia's K900 seems to be plagerizing our GS style and features

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 07:19 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Kia's K900 seems to be plagerizing our GS style and features

A coworker just bought a KIA K900 and he ask me if I would like to see his new car. He knew I was a car enthusiast and wanted to prove to me, that korean cars are as good or better than Japanese cars. Well upon opening the car door what really shocked me is how eriely similar designs of the k900 to Lexus GS and other manufacturers like Mercedes.

First of all the K900 has a analog clock just like the gs and its led lit too. The audio system is a 17 speaker with 900 watts of power similar to lexus but different audio companies mark levinson vs Lexicon.
This car has every option my GS has but also has radar cruise feature that I dont have. The Blind spot monitor uses the same symbol on the side mirror just like lexus uses and they both light up yellow! The seat adjustment for the K900 copied that of Mercedes Benz even located same place, door handle.
I can go on and on all day. There are designs from Ford, Infiniti and BMW found throughout the K900. The koreans are not creative at all and just copies other car manufactures without even trying to make a car unique to its brand name.

Overall I find the car to be very bland in design but I have to say I do like the rear seat that recline and split fold 60/40, wish my GS had that.
My co worker said he will let me test drive his K900 some day. So I might have a review coming soon.

End Rant.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 04-15-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 07:30 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I felt the same way when my buddy got his kia optima sx, it had more options in the car then my gs LOL. It didn't ride like my gs even though it had a lot of stuff in there the materials were very cheap. paddle shifter felt cheaper then a steering wheel set for a gaming console. What I did like about it was the turbo it pulled quite hard but still wasn't faster then the gs. Overall the kia is good for what it is and you be shocked of all the options it comes with.
Old 04-15-14, 08:55 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Kia K900 competes with the Lexus LS - not the Lexus GS. It SHOULD have features that the GS doesn't have. People used to say the same thing about Lexus copying when Toyota first brought their luxury cars here.

I have a 2012 LS460L and my nephew recently sat in a new Hyundai Equus and felt the Equus was the nicer of the two. Korea is making very nice cars now. The new 2015 Hyundai Genesis is a VERY, very impressive automobile. That's the vehicle from Korea that competes closest to the Lexus GS...
Old 04-15-14, 09:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kia/Hyundai are coming up... they are not refined but they will probably get there quick with their next iteration. I do believe other companies should watch their back.

The K900 - I don't like the grill and the oldsmobile side vent. I don't know the weight but it seems heavy (not interested enough to look at it...maybe the next iteration).
Old 04-15-14, 09:15 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

For refinement, check out the new Genesis. The 2015 is the second generation. I'm sure the next Equus is going to be just as impressive - and one level up on the Genesis - which is easily a class or two better than the first generation...
Old 04-15-14, 09:40 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The Korean makes are making strides to get people's attention, especially in this financial climate where the wealthy and affluent are being "hated" upon. For some it's best to go "under the radar" and purchase a loaded Korean brand.

"Stealth Wealth" it's sometimes called.

I was very intrigued by the upcoming 2015 Hyundai Genesis until I purchased the GS.
Old 04-16-14, 02:58 PM
jucytec
Rookie

everything from korea is full of options...
Old 04-16-14, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I don't see anything similar about the GS and the K900...
Old 04-16-14, 05:18 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Did they copy reliability as well ? if not, I'm not interested
Old 04-16-14, 05:30 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

A bad reputation of shoddy reliability will be hard to shake off, no matter how much it costs or how many features it has.
Old 04-16-14, 05:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSTONY
LOL I felt the same way when my buddy got his kia optima sx, it had more options in the car then my gs LOL. It didn't ride like my gs even though it had a lot of stuff in there the materials were very cheap. paddle shifter felt cheaper then a steering wheel set for a gaming console. What I did like about it was the turbo it pulled quite hard but still wasn't faster then the gs. Overall the kia is good for what it is and you be shocked of all the options it comes with.
couldn't have said it better myself....
Old 04-16-14, 05:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Kia and Hyundai need to come up with another brand name for their luxury lines if they want to compete with the big dogs, which is what they are doing now, competing with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. Their current names are known for cheap economy cars, not for expensive luxury cars, just like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

It doesn't matter how good and expensive their luxury cars are, the names will bring them down.
Old 04-16-14, 07:14 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Did they copy reliability as well ? if not, I'm not interested
LOL no reliability is crap hahah. My buddy put a exhaust system catless and cylinder 4 failed and blew a whole though the block they replace the whole new block for him. Plus I had my gs before he did.
Old 04-16-14, 07:44 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Remember, people. Everybody laughed at Lexus back in 1989. The South Koreans have come a long way in a short period of time. Don't assume only Japanese and German companies can build cars. The South Koreans are doing a great job and now have cars being compared with top tier luxury offerings instead of Chryslers and Toyotas. This is in just two generations. Don't be surprised if they're on par or better in one more.
Old 04-16-14, 08:22 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lmao your coworker lost big time

ill never understand why anybody would want a hyundai or a kia over a benz, BMW, audi, lexus, or any other brand that has a comparable car.

you've got the 7 series, LS, S class, A8, ML i think, and you chose to go with a k900 or a equis? Never understand some peoples logic

Koreans can try all they want, toyota was smart enough to realize people wouldn't buy expensive toyotas.

Quick Reply: Kia's K900 seems to be plagerizing our GS style and features