GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 08:59 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Is it weird that I like it low. it makes me feel different that it's a car you don't see often. I see maybe a few each day compared to the 5, 6 and ES....
No, I agree. I don't want to be driving the same car as everybody else.
Old 04-12-14, 09:48 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The GS is just a unpopular car. When i got it my friend thought it was was comparable to the S class, he sat in it and was "the s class is a lot better then this" lol

Another friend was like "is your car better then the ES?"

Idk if its just the GS thats popular or lexus cars in general unpopular.

In socal tho theres a lot of GS'. A lot of them.
Old 04-12-14, 09:49 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
No, I agree. I don't want to be driving the same car as everybody else.
this is one of the best things about the GS. I love it because of how rare it is compared to the E and the 5. Like somebody else said, seeing a 5 series or e class is like seeing a camry, everybody has one.
Old 04-13-14, 04:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not sure where I haven't been consistent...my feeling as to why the GS doesn't sell in volumes like the other cars in the segment is because non-enthusiast buyers buy the ES instead of the GS. Those buyers buy lightly optioned, small engined 5 series, E Classes, A6 etc in those brands.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and it's heading that way so I'll refrain. It would be far easier to discuss in person than on the forum at this point. Basically I think we are jumping around too much on the topic at hand. We would probably agree on most points if we were sitting at lunch having this conversation.

I think the bottom line is that Lexus from the start has not positioned the GS well - as you say, the ES is much cheaper and has been the go-to car. I think they wasted the rear drive platform by not building a more driver focused car until the current generation came out. The current generation pushes more of the right buttons, but it still has some hurdles to be considered by most enthusiasts and they simply have to regain the enthusiasts interest in the car after years of building it as a non-enthusiasts car.
Old 04-13-14, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
The GS is just a unpopular car. When i got it my friend thought it was was comparable to the S class, he sat in it and was "the s class is a lot better then this" lol
Unpopular isn't the right word. I get a LOT of compliments on my GS, far more than I ever got with the ES or even the LS (the most complimented car I've ever had oddly enough is the Jeep), strangers say things to me at gas stations, car washes, I've had people stop me in parking lots. Just yesterday my neighbor came over while I was washing it and was talking about how much he loved the car, and I've had it over a year.

It doesn't sell poorly, it sells more or less on target, it's just not a "volume" seller like the 5, E, etc. to it it in perspective, the GS is the #4 best selling Lexus vehicle. Only the ES, RX & IS outsell it.

Nobody mentions the Jag XF and why it sells "poorly". It doesn't sell poorly, it's just a small volume car. The GS sells far more units than it does, by the way.

As I've said before, it's not a zero sum game. Success is not necessarily being #1 or a huge seller.

Originally Posted by jjscsix
We would probably agree on most points if we were sitting at lunch having this conversation.
This is probably true!

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-13-14 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-13-14, 07:21 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent points by all of you guys.

Lexus has time to get all those enthusiastic back to the brand who previous had or knew about the early GS before it became mundane. The sales did skyrocket to 2,500 sales last month so I am hoping with the new commercials and better lease that this car will continue to perform in the mid-2000 sales and be above the Audi A6. No it will never attain E or 5 class sales why? Because the GS only has 1 main engine whereas the E and 5 have at least 3 different engines. There is no cheaper GS like a base 5 or E. Theres the ES. This is why its nice of Lexus to keep the GS unique and keep the ES as a volume seller. Whereas the 5, you see all kinds of trims from the boring base to the top of the line and they are all over the place that its getting tiring. E are for old people who believe that spending 65k you should get a Mercedes (Status symbol) no matter how crappy it drives.

The average consumer careless about the car handling or feel. They just need to get from point A-B. Unfortunately.
Old 04-13-14, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, and the A6 has FWD low option packages in the $40ks that they stock and sell. You won't find a GS on a lot in the us with a price tag below $52k or so. The A6 has 4 engines. The 5 has 5 engine choices, a wagon, the GT. The E has 4 engines, a wagon, a coupe, a convertible.
Old 04-13-14, 08:48 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

You guys are right. Not much GS love here in new sales either. We have a bunch of them and they hardly ever sell. I don't get it at all. Being that I work at a lexus dealer I get to try all the new toys. The new GS-350F sport is a absolute BLAST To drive. I personally love the new GS. It is by far the most fun to drive of the new lexus, great cornering, lightning fast acceleration, sticks to the road like glue and that exhaust note is delicious sounding. I also think it's the first GS that's been out in a good long time that LOOKS like a Japanese luxury car and that's important to me. Maybe it's a price issue? Maybe it's too associated with the ES even though it's no comparison AT ALL. Being that so few are being sold, I think the 2014 GS 350 F sport is going to be a very rare car 10 years from now.
Old 04-13-14, 08:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well,the only thing I can say is the GS low selling number or not is the only vehicle in a very long time I'd consider owning long term and that's very rare for me.
I love it!
Old 04-13-14, 09:04 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Stereorob
You guys are right. Not much GS love here in new sales either. We have a bunch of them and they hardly ever sell. I don't get it at all. Being that I work at a lexus dealer I get to try all the new toys. The new GS-350F sport is a absolute BLAST To drive. I personally love the new GS. It is by far the most fun to drive of the new lexus, great cornering, lightning fast acceleration, sticks to the road like glue and that exhaust note is delicious sounding. I also think it's the first GS that's been out in a good long time that LOOKS like a Japanese luxury car and that's important to me. Maybe it's a price issue? Maybe it's too associated with the ES even though it's no comparison AT ALL. Being that so few are being sold, I think the 2014 GS 350 F sport is going to be a very rare car 10 years from now.
Here is my suggestion to Lexus to make progress...

Quit trying to appease blue haired ladies with the GS by selling the Luxury model with a wood sterling wheel (I have one and hate the steering wheel,but it's my wife's car so I accepted the compromise)

Get rid so the stupid exhaust finishers and put true tips on it (oddly, the ES does have real tips)

Give the F Sport a 30 hp bump in power and quad tip exhausts.

Get the V8 version to market SOON.

Notice that I'm not adding anything that involves an expensive makeover. Just subtle things that position it more as an enthusiasts car. As others have said Lexus has the Blue Hairs and Stepford Wives covered with other cars.
Old 04-13-14, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Quit trying to appease blue haired ladies with the GS by selling the Luxury model with a wood sterling wheel (I have one and hate the steering wheel,but it's my wife's car so I accepted the compromise)
I love my luxury model, I absolutely would not have bought the GS if it hadn't been for the luxury model and the wood/leather wheel (specifically), nicer high gloss dark wood trim. I thought the premium model with the matte wood trim and all leather wheel looked too bland inside, and the F Sport without any wood trim option did not appeal to me. What really honestly made me pony up for the luxury was the wood/leather wheel.

I'm a 34 year old man so its not just "blue haired ladies" that appreciate luxury touches. If you look around, a LOT of owners here have the luxury package...we're overwhelmingly men here at CL. Guy in my garage at work has one...he's maybe 40...big weightlifter type. Luxury package. Look at Joe above...luxury package and I happen to know he wrestles lions for a living. I appreciate the sporty look and driving characteristics of the GS, but I'm the sort of guy that likes my luxury car to feel luxurious.

Thats why we have options. If you don't want the wood, wood/leather wheel...buy a premium or buy an F Sport. Don't begrudge those of us that want those things the option of the luxury package.

BMW offers a wood wheel option too...as does MB. Options are a good thing, we need MORE options, not less. I'm all for a wood wheel delete option for the luxury, but to "do away" with the luxury package would reduce sales, not improve sales. We need more options, we need F Sport packages that don't reduce the equipment available to the consumer so customers don't have to decide between luxury and sport...like at BMW or MB.

Wood wheel on a 5 series:

On an E350:

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-13-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-13-14, 09:45 AM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you like your wood wheel, but it should be as it is on the MB and BMW....an OPTION. Not part of a package.

Acura sells wood wheels for their cars, and they are dealer installed options. As it should be for the Lexus. Not everyone likes a wood wheel, and you shouldn't be forced to have to take it as part of a package which is so comprehensive.
Old 04-13-14, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't disagree with that, that's an issue with Lexus in general and the way they package their cars.

I wouldn't say "do away with the luxury package" though. Like I said, we need more options not fewer options.

I personally think the F Sport package should mirror what's available on the luxury. No reason it shouldn't have the same seats available, etc.
Old 04-13-14, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Benz dropped the V8 in the E class and SL unless it's amg. Infiniti has a 5.6 v-8 and they sell 13 of them.

If anything, again, for more sales they would need a GS 250 or 300h. The GS F will have a V-8.

Quite frankly the GS could have all these things and it still won't sell like an E or 5 but for whatever reason people think it will.

It doesn't help the GS either when the RL/RLX fails for nearly two decades and the M has one generation well recieved and the others pretty ignored by consumers. So while you have a German onslaught you basically have Lexus achieving results consistently.
Old 04-13-14, 10:08 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by LexFather
Benz dropped the V8 in the E class and SL unless it's amg. Infiniti has a 5.6 v-8 and they sell 13 of them.

If anything, again, for more sales they would need a GS 250 or 300h. The GS F will have a V-8.

Quite frankly the GS could have all these things and it still won't sell like an E or 5 but for whatever reason people think it will.

It doesn't help the GS either when the RL/RLX fails for nearly two decades and the M has one generation well recieved and the others pretty ignored by consumers. So while you have a German onslaught you basically have Lexus achieving results consistently.
You have to start somewhere. If you don't agree with my ideas, wha t so you think Lexus needs to do to increase GS sales.

Btw, covering various responses, BMW does not even offer a factory wood steering wheel in the 5 Series.

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?