GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's the most annoying setting on your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 07:28 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's the most annoying setting on your GS?

I assume everyone here is familiar with the concept of "Lexus Personalized Settings" (LPS) - configuration settings of your car's electronics that the dealer can change. Some of them can also be changed via the nav if your car has it. Here's the official list of configurable settings for a 2013 GS350: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

What's the most annoying default value for those settings? Something you would DEFINITELY want changed?

By the way, there are a bunch more settings that these cars support, that are not included in that PDF. They can be changed with our new app for Android: Carista OBD2.
Old 03-28-14, 01:40 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When you get out of the car and lock it, the lights dont turn off til you press the remote lock button again, or theyll just turn off after a minute or whatever. Camrys have the same feature

BMW's have it that the lights turn off once you open the door, somebody on here said that his dealer customized his car for him just like, so the lights turn off right when he opens the door. Def going to get that done at my next service meeting
Old 03-28-14, 02:11 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
When you get out of the car and lock it, the lights dont turn off til you press the remote lock button again, or theyll just turn off after a minute or whatever. Camrys have the same feature

BMW's have it that the lights turn off once you open the door, somebody on here said that his dealer customized his car for him just like, so the lights turn off right when he opens the door. Def going to get that done at my next service meeting
You can change the settings yourself without going to the dealer. It's buried somewhere in there (you can choose 0 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, etc after you lock the car where the lights turn off)
Old 03-28-14, 10:40 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Went to the dealer today, got them to program the keyfob = open all windows, tilt sunroof. Really helps with a black car on hot days.
Old 03-29-14, 05:50 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
I assume everyone here is familiar with the concept of "Lexus Personalized Settings" (LPS) - configuration settings of your car's electronics that the dealer can change. Some of them can also be changed via the nav if your car has it. Here's the official list of configurable settings for a 2013 GS350: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

What's the most annoying default value for those settings? Something you would DEFINITELY want changed?

By the way, there are a bunch more settings that these cars support, that are not included in that PDF. They can be changed with our new app for Android: Carista OBD2.
I'd like to try your app for a number of reasons but, since you can't assure me that one of the BT OBDII devices will work, I hate to take the chance of purchasing the wrong one and have it fail to operate.
Old 03-29-14, 07:24 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Infamous3

Yes, on some cars with nav, it may be possible to change that via the nav. Otherwise, try Carista - it can configure this setting.

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Went to the dealer today, got them to program the keyfob = open all windows, tilt sunroof. Really helps with a black car on hot days.
Yup, useful
Just out of curiosity, did your dealer charge you for this, and how much? Sometimes they agree to do it for free (if they're doing some other service on your car), but most often they don't.

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I'd like to try your app for a number of reasons but, since you can't assure me that one of the BT OBDII devices will work, I hate to take the chance of purchasing the wrong one and have it fail to operate.
Yeah, the hardware situation kind of sucks. But the devices that we've linked to from our web site seem to be decent, and the sellers usually have a good return policy, especially if it's an item "Fulfilled by Amazon"... so I think it's worth trying. If there's a problem, it just won't be able to connect; it won't damage the car or anything.

I would really love it if some day we can produce our own hardware with a reliable Bluetooth communication and a reliable chip that always connects to the car from the first time. But until then, these Chinese devices will have to do. And as I said, in most cases they do work fine.
Old 03-29-14, 08:50 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Any hope for an iPhone app?
Old 03-29-14, 09:50 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Schmexus
Any hope for an iPhone app?
We're considering it. See http://www.caristaapp.com/ios/
Old 03-29-14, 10:07 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Nice. I forgot I have an Android tablet so I DL'd it on that. Just waiting on the BT adapter from Amazon now.
Old 03-29-14, 10:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmexus
Nice. I forgot I have an Android tablet so I DL'd it on that. Just waiting on the BT adapter from Amazon now.
Wait.... I do too. Thanks for reminding me LOL.
Old 03-29-14, 07:08 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish there was more control on the seat easy exit option. I really like to have it on except when I have a passenger behind me. I always forget and end up cramping the rear seat passenger to when getting out. I can disable it through options but it is a cumbersome process. I wish there was an easy on-off for it.

Pete
Old 04-07-14, 02:47 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ESsearch
I wish there was more control on the seat easy exit option. I really like to have it on except when I have a passenger behind me. I always forget and end up cramping the rear seat passenger to when getting out. I can disable it through options but it is a cumbersome process. I wish there was an easy on-off for it.

Pete
You should be able to set it to move a shorter distance - that might be a good compromise. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to have it behave differently based on whether there's a passenger in the back.

Btw, we're adding the setting for easy exit movement (OFF/SHORT/LONG) to the next version of Carista. Beta version coming soon to a device near you
Old 04-12-14, 01:02 PM
LexFather

I hate when my iPhone gets disconnected and I have to toggle to get it playing again. Happens in the IS and LS too...
Old 04-13-14, 10:24 AM
jmarias
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those looking for OBD II hardware to work with the Carista app, I decided to try the BAFX bluetooth scan tool. It works flawlessly on my GS and the Carista App. Works with the Torque app as well for those interested in that type of "Live" performance monitoring. $24 bucks on Amazon and qualifies for Prime. Here is the link...

Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Jim
Old 04-13-14, 11:18 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup, useful
Just out of curiosity, did your dealer charge you for this, and how much? Sometimes they agree to do it for free (if they're doing some other service on your car), but most often they don't.

Nope, no charge but I had a warranty repair that was scheduled concurrently. I printed and filled out the settings form (click on pdf link below), gave to my service adviser and moved the process forward.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Quick Reply: What's the most annoying setting on your GS?