GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 02:37 PM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage

I've lurked here for a while and asked questions about the GS/IS models. Last Friday, I negotiated a great deal on my new GS 350 F Sport Introducing Lea, my second love, because B (my bimmer 325ci) would have a fit if I made the new girl in our driveway my number one. I'm very happy with the purchase, but the gas mileage is my only regret.
Attached Thumbnails I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage-lea1.jpg   I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage-lea2.jpg   I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage-lea3.jpg   I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage-lea4.jpg  
Old 03-26-14, 03:00 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the car giving lower mileage than the car is rated to give? If so, give it a little time. The mileage generally improves after the first month or so of driving. It should give you close to the EPA rated mpg.

Or is the car giving you the mileage that it is rated to give, but you want it to give you higher mileage? If so, well,.... <I got noffin>
Old 03-26-14, 03:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm averaging 18-19 MPG combined, at least that's what the computer tells me. But I'm gonna compare with the traditional method.
Old 03-26-14, 03:20 PM
erdoc
Driver School Candidate

I've got a 2013 F Sport and drive on normal 90% of the time. I've got 38k on the car and average about 19 MPG. There are certainly better MPG vehicles out there with the same sport profile, but not the reliability of the Lexus. I'll take 6 MPG lower for that tradeoff anyday
Old 03-26-14, 04:14 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Gas mileage is the only thing that I was concerned about with the GS350 when I was searching for a new car to buy. I was cross shopping bmw 5 series and Cadillac CTS Vsport. I ended up buying the GS350 despite hearing people on this forum say they get less than 18mpg average mostly highway.

Since I bought my car three weeks ago I have been getting consistently 23 mpg 30% city and 70% Hwy. I am more than happy because my 05 LS430 only get 19 mpg average with the same commute and driving style.
Old 03-26-14, 05:10 PM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Haha, congrats! I just picked up my car from Westside on Saturday! Who did you deal with? I too got a smoking deal...they are ready and willing if you are in Houston!

I think I looked at your car. I loved the white but when I went back to look it was overcast and looking at the silver and white next to each other sealed the deal for the silver. They had to dealer trade for mine from San Antonio.

I hear you about the mileage. I drove from the Woodlands to Katy and back today....a 100 mile round trip and only got 25.5 indicated MPG. This was cruising lightly at about 72 MPH. In my 2011 535 I would have gotten close to 30 on that trip. I noted that the Lexus is turning more RPM than my old car would have, and that the Lexus does not lock up nearly as much as my BMW did.

Congrats again!
Old 03-26-14, 07:25 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I have no idea how some of you drive. I have gotten 31 driving across Houston in ours when it was a week old. I had a 2010 with the same engine and in 33,000 miles almost never got below 26.
Old 03-26-14, 08:50 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm averaging right at 19 or so after 350 miles driving about half normal mode and half S+.
Old 03-27-14, 06:02 AM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have no idea how some of you drive. I have gotten 31 driving across Houston in ours when it was a week old. I had a 2010 with the same engine and in 33,000 miles almost never got below 26.
You have a very light foot. I know your 550 mileage was always way above what others were getting.

Honestly, I feel like I wasn't hoofing it at all yesterday. Let it settle in at about 72 like I said. No cruise control though, so that might have helped.
Old 03-27-14, 07:01 AM
TXfam1112
Driver School Candidate

@Needsdecaf I dealt with James. I was originally looking at Northside, but they thought I was a sucker and told me if I custom ordered a car it would be MRSP. NOT A CHANCE! I was still going to custom order from Westside, but when I saw the white I changed my mind about the color combo I wanted.

I would describe my driving as speedy yet safe. The first few days I drove in S and S+, but now on my work commute I drive 90% in normal unless the traffic is sparse. The display says my average is 19 MPG, which is sticker.

I guess I just have to adjust to the lower gas mileage. I feel like my 2004 bimmer was getting about 23 average.
Old 03-27-14, 10:02 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

My short work commute pushed me to a GS, otherwise I'd get an Acura RLX with 30mpg but bland styling.
Old 03-27-14, 12:35 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You have a very light foot. I know your 550 mileage was always way above what others were getting.

Honestly, I feel like I wasn't hoofing it at all yesterday. Let it settle in at about 72 like I said. No cruise control though, so that might have helped.
I know you have ridden with me, but I can't help but laugh at the notion I have a light foot. In a way you are correct, but only in context. I ride motorcycle with the same guy and have for nearly ten years. At times we have owned identical bikes and we do now (each of us owns three bike, one is the same). We ride the same speeds and gas up together. I almost always get better mileage because of my riding style. But we do a lot of very fast riding.

My point is that you can't blame the car if you like to drive in sport mode all the time and use the paddles to hold gears and things like that. I get 2-3 mpg better mileage than my wife on the same surface streets in our area not because she drives harder than I do, but because I pay attention to what is happening 1/4-1/2 miles ahead of me and am proactive in adjusting to traffic and the traffic lights.

You don't own three 9.9 to 10.8 1/4 mile motorcycles like I do and drive like a little old lady.
Old 03-27-14, 12:56 PM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I know you have ridden with me, but I can't help but laugh at the notion I have a light foot. In a way you are correct, but only in context. I ride motorcycle with the same guy and have for nearly ten years. At times we have owned identical bikes and we do now (each of us owns three bike, one is the same). We ride the same speeds and gas up together. I almost always get better mileage because of my riding style. But we do a lot of very fast riding.

My point is that you can't blame the car if you like to drive in sport mode all the time and use the paddles to hold gears and things like that. I get 2-3 mpg better mileage than my wife on the same surface streets in our area not because she drives harder than I do, but because I pay attention to what is happening 1/4-1/2 miles ahead of me and am proactive in adjusting to traffic and the traffic lights.

You don't own three 9.9 to 10.8 1/4 mile motorcycles like I do and drive like a little old lady.
LOL, I know. My point was moreso that something in your driving style allows you to get very good MPG's. Looks like you proved that with your post above.

I'm a bit disappointed in my results yesterday. I really was babying it, compared to my normal driving style. Perhaps some lessons are in order.
Old 03-27-14, 05:01 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious why you would drive a $60k vehicle if you are worried about a few MPG difference?
Old 03-27-14, 06:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by jmtamu
I'm curious why you would drive a $60k vehicle if you are worried about a few MPG difference?
If you are going to buy a $60,000 car, the why not a $70,000 car? Why do we see so many posts asking if they are getting a good deal? Why do folks buy a $59,000 F Sport and not pay $1300 more for the Levinson stereo......

Quick Reply: I JOINED THE CLUB...but the gas mileage