GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...

Just thought I would share my pain with you guys.

Had the GS at the dealer for the 20k service. Took it there instead of my independent to have the little vibrating rattle at idle fixed. Snowed here this morning so as you can imagine, it was dirty. I had a thousand things going on and did not tell them not to wash it...

Well...you know the rest. From the door handles down it looks like it was washed with a broom in big straight lines. They have an automatic carwash but I watched as a salty car went through it...no spray down, and the wash uses no soap, it just barely wets the car down and then washes away.

You know its bad when on silver you can see it in the shade.

Against every fiber of my experience and every piece of advice I've ever given here...its over there to be buffed out, picking it up tomorrow. I'm still going back and forth on whether I should just go over there and get it and buff it out myself or give them a chance to at least make it better to where I can finish it down...I just don't have 3+ hours in the cold to drag out my buffer and work on it. They're not going to write a check for a professional until they've tried to fix it.

Unbelievable...and thats the thing they put the new cars through before delivery! To top it all off...the rattle isn't rattling today so it was all for nothing.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-26-14 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 03:04 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear man.... That's why I never let them wash my car. They ruined my wheels once, not sure what kind of chemicals they use there.... Anyways, I hope you get this resolved one way or the other.
Old 02-26-14, 03:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I never let them wash mine either.
Well on the positive side,it is a lease,Steve.
However,I know you're picky lease or not.
Old 02-26-14, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I always tell them not to wash it...but I just was distracted this morning and wasn't thinking. I actually called over there to see if I could negotiate having a professional detail shop work on it. Service rep is gone but the service manager is supposed to call me back (I won't hold my breath).

Lease or not it can't stay like this. I wish I'd taken a picture.
Old 02-26-14, 03:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah I always tell them not to wash it...but I just was distracted this morning and wasn't thinking. I actually called over there to see if I could negotiate having a professional detail shop work on it. Service rep is gone but the service manager is supposed to call me back (I won't hold my breath).

Lease or not it can't stay like this. I wish I'd taken a picture.

I have a sheet of paper I keep in the glove compartment that I put on the dash that says in black marker 'Do Not Wash' just to make sure.
Old 02-26-14, 03:27 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife got her RX "washed" at the dealer and now there's swirls all over her obsidian paint. it makes me sick that they think that its ok.
Old 02-26-14, 03:38 PM
Abermac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving home today I was thinking about having the car washed tomorrow at the dealership. Glad I read this first. I bet my lexus dealership is the same..automatic wash.
Old 02-26-14, 03:39 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say let them "Attempt" to fix it. Once it turns out terrible, say you're not happy and make them pay for a professional and proper detail. Take a long weekend to the awesome state of NJ and have Phil work on it
Old 02-26-14, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I spoke to Phil over PM and he gave me some names down here. I think I'm going to let them "attempt" to fix it, then in the about 90% chance that it doesn't turn out well, I will take it to someone at their expense. My only fear there is that I know as a person with some background in detailing that crappy detailers can do damage to a vehicle that cannot be repaired without a repaint. It also has a clear bra...and hopefully they won't f' it up...although...I suppose if they do they owe me a new one.

I also have the tools and ability to do it myself, I just don't have the time right now and I want it done right and soon. They can probably buff the damage out, the issue will be how well it will be finished down. I can always finish it down myself...

Wife's family lives in NJ lol, maybe I'll do just that!
Old 02-26-14, 05:29 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

sorry to hear that, but what I did on the first service , I made sure I told him NO car wash please, and I tell them I just waxed it, and if they wash it they would mess it up, and that would cost u guys a full professional detail, that what u have to tell them and make sure they put that in the comments.
Old 02-26-14, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's normally what I do too...
Old 02-26-14, 11:10 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

asking the dealership to wash your car is like asking them to wipe your clear coat with sand paper. I've seen swirl marks galore in their lots. I always tell them not to wash it...but sometimes, they still do it (thinking that they did a great service to me lol).

I will have to take JOEB427's advice next time.
Old 02-27-14, 04:02 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry to hear that. I have two fairly long hair line scratches on my hood from local car wash. I did not take it up with the car wash place because they would most likely not take the responsibility and it would just get frustrating and time consuming. Oh well. I am glad I am leasing.
Old 02-27-14, 04:19 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yep I feel your pain! sucks when you see it.
Old 02-27-14, 06:28 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The problem is, they're going to run it through that washing machine again before they even start buffing it out...which just causes more scratches. In order to "buff" out the scratches they're removing thin layers of your clear coat. If they're going to attempt to fix it, and not succeed, then they removed some clear and your professional detailer will remove more. I would not let the dealership touch my car...just suck it up and take it the professional ASAP.

Quick Reply: And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...