GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY Oil change on 2013 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 03:52 PM
my808lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil change on 2013 GS350

I normally take my 4GS to my dealership for oil changes but decided to do my own this time around. I have the standard Toyota/Lexus oil cap to fit around the outer ring, but i cant seem to twist to loosen it. I looked at the 3GS DIY but didnt know if it was different in the 4GS. Any tips/suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-15-14, 05:53 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience dealer always over-tightened it as well as the drain plug....use a breaker bar to get more leverage.
Old 02-16-14, 09:09 AM
my808lexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Will try that.
Old 02-17-14, 12:09 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I did mine yesterday. Once i figured out where everything is, it turned out to be easier than I expected. What do dealers charge for this? Cost me $60, but I probably paid too much for the oil.
Old 07-16-14, 08:19 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

any 1 have pictures of where is the oil filter is located? and do I need to take out any under panel to get to it?
Old 07-16-14, 10:04 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cost me about 100 bux for oil change.
Old 07-16-14, 10:22 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be nice for someone with experience with oil changes on the 4GS to post a detailed write up with pics on how to do it step by step. Anyone?
Old 07-17-14, 12:50 AM
richard203
Racer

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
It would be nice for someone with experience with oil changes on the 4GS to post a detailed write up with pics on how to do it step by step. Anyone?
I cant sleep so I went down to my garage and just did the oil change. it was pretty simple draining the oil from the oil pan. For me I think the hard part is getting the oil drain gasket out and taking the filter out, you gotta take out three screws on the body panel. After that you use the special tool to take out the filter it was so tight i hitted my hand on the panel and bleeding. at the end it came out. The only thing I don't know is is it 6 qrt for our car or 7? if its 7 I gotta go buy 1 more bottle tomorrow. one more thing is there a torque spec for the oil filter? can i just tighten the oil filter and its good?

Last edited by richard203; 07-17-14 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 03:27 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

It happened that I changed my oil yesterday, before I saw the original post. It is easier than most of the cars I've owned. The oil filter is covered by a small panel in the under-car shroud (driver's side, about a foot behind the bottom of the bumper area. 3 screws (phillips or 10mm hex). A standard 3/8" socket wrench square drive fits into the filter housing plug, which is used to drain the oil in the filter to avoid spills (clever!). No worries if the whole thing spins, it'll just drip a bit more.

Once that's out insert the plastic plug that comes with each filter (push straight in hard), and let it drain. Once drained, pop out the drain piece by pulling, or pushing sideways. Once that's done use the cap wrench to remove the filter housing, pull out the paper cartridge and discard. Don't forget to R&R the o-rings on the filter housing and oil filter housing plug (I use a small hooked awl to pull them off). It's much better to forget to change the o-rings completely than it is to forget to put them back on - big mess and possible engine damage.

Use a 14mm socket to remove the oil pan drain plug. The gasket usually sticks to the pan - wait until the oil drains and then use a small tool to pop it off. Replace the gasket on the plug, re-install, and fill with just under 7 qts (6.8, IIRC, but I usually use about 7), and voila! Your oil change is done. Neat and tidy, costs me about $40 total for 7qts Mobil 1 0-W20 and a filter, which I buy by the case online. More important, I know it was done correctly (no Jiffy-Lubes for me). BTW, don't forget to dispose of the used oil properly. Best of luck.

Last edited by shrinkwrap; 07-17-14 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 03:31 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richard203
I cant sleep so I went down to my garage and just did the oil change. it was pretty simple draining the oil from the oil pan. For me I think the hard part is getting the oil drain gasket out and taking the filter out, you gotta take out three screws on the body panel. After that you use the special tool to take out the filter it was so tight i hitted my hand on the panel and bleeding. at the end it came out. The only thing I don't know is is it 6 qrt for our car or 7? if its 7 I gotta go buy 1 more bottle tomorrow. one more thing is there a torque spec for the oil filter? can i just tighten the oil filter and its good?
Manual says 6.8qts, I use just about 7.
Old 07-17-14, 12:30 PM
richard203
Racer

Any1 know how to reset the maintence light? nvm found it for any 1 want to know u just press ur odometer to trip A then turn off ur car and hold ur odometer while pressing the start button two times without holding the brake pedal and wait for the maintence to calculate to 0 and u r done.

Last edited by richard203; 07-17-14 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 09:38 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Any1 know how to reset the maintence light? nvm found it for any 1 want to know u just press ur odometer to trip A then turn off ur car and hold ur odometer while pressing the start button two times without holding the brake pedal and wait for the maintence to calculate to 0 and u r done.
I think you can also go into the Nav screen menu and under settings and Mantenance you can reset it. I've seen the option there but haven't tried it myself.
Old 07-17-14, 10:00 PM
richard203
Racer

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I think you can also go into the Nav screen menu and under settings and Mantenance you can reset it. I've seen the option there but haven't tried it myself.
that's just the reminder thing, it wont make the maintence light go away
Old 07-18-14, 05:34 AM
lazerlazer
Driver

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
It happened that I changed my oil yesterday, before I saw the original post. It is easier than most of the cars I've owned. The oil filter is covered by a small panel in the under-car shroud (driver's side, about a foot behind the bottom of the bumper area. 3 screws (phillips or 10mm hex). A standard 3/8" socket wrench square drive fits into the filter housing plug, which is used to drain the oil in the filter to avoid spills (clever!). No worries if the whole thing spins, it'll just drip a bit more.

Once that's out insert the plastic plug that comes with each filter (push straight in hard), and let it drain. Once drained, pop out the drain piece by pulling, or pushing sideways. Once that's done use the cap wrench to remove the filter housing, pull out the paper cartridge and discard. Don't forget to R&R the o-rings on the filter housing and oil filter housing plug (I use a small hooked awl to pull them off). It's much better to forget to change the o-rings completely than it is to forget to put them back on - big mess and possible engine damage.

Use a 14mm socket to remove the oil pan drain plug. The gasket usually sticks to the pan - wait until the oil drains and then use a small tool to pop it off. Replace the gasket on the plug, re-install, and fill with just under 7 qts (6.8, IIRC, but I usually use about 7), and voila! Your oil change is done. Neat and tidy, costs me about $40 total for 7qts Mobil 1 0-W20 and a filter, which I buy by the case online. More important, I know it was done correctly (no Jiffy-Lubes for me). BTW, don't forget to dispose of the used oil properly. Best of luck.
The plastic thing that came in my oil filter i didnt know what to do with? So is that used just for draining? I didnt have it in my car when i went to replace the filter, and couldnt figure out where to put it on the instal, it didnt fit anywhere so i left it out. Does it stay in, or is it just for draining? Thanks.
Old 07-18-14, 07:59 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
The plastic thing that came in my oil filter i didnt know what to do with? So is that used just for draining? I didnt have it in my car when i went to replace the filter, and couldnt figure out where to put it on the instal, it didnt fit anywhere so i left it out. Does it stay in, or is it just for draining? Thanks.

No, the plastic piece is only for draining the filter, once the filter plug is removed. If you run the engine with it on you will instantly lose oil. If you leave the plug off I assume the pressure will cause oil loss as well. You don't really need to use the plastic piece, or even take off the filter plug; it just makes it less messy.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change on 2013 GS350