GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 cross traffic monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 03:46 PM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 GS 350 cross traffic monitor

Does anyone know whether a 2013 GS 350 with a blind spot monitor option can be upgraded/retrofitted to add the cross traffic monitor functionality? The 2014 GS's now have that capability.
Old 01-30-14, 04:10 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It probably just a software update. Check parts to see if 2014 have extra sensors.
Old 01-31-14, 09:58 AM
dagwag77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the guts of the sensors are different, but I believe the sensors on the 14 are flush with the bumpers and the 13s are not.
Old 01-31-14, 10:37 AM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The cross traffic alert is the one option I really wanted on my 2013 450h. I am very interested to see if it can be added. I found this and seems like it may be possible:2013 Lexus LS Advanced Active Safety Features 2013 Consumer Electronics Show
Safety is of fundamental importance to Toyota, as exemplified by numerous revolutionary and evolutionary features designed to help avoid or mitigate accidents through intelligent anticipation.
In 2003, Lexus introduced its ground-breaking, millimeter wave radar-based Pre-Collision System (PCS). Since then, the sophistication and operating parameters of the system have been continually enhanced with each new LS generation.
The 2013 LS enhances pedestrian safety with an upgraded Advanced Pre-Collision System (A-PCS) with collision avoidance assist, which has the ability to help the driver detect moving pedestrians under a wide range of city and highway speeds, day or night.
Key Points:
 The Lexus Advanced Pre-Collision System (A-PCS) with collision avoidance assist, helps the driver avoid or mitigate collisions with vehicles or pedestrians under a wide range of city or highway speeds, by day or night
 Upgraded Lane-Keeping Assist system (LKA) assists with external disturbances such as road crown (camber) and/or crosswinds
 Enhanced Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) helps to identify vehicles in the driver’s blind spot at lower speeds.
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) utilizes the same sensors as BSM to detect rear cross traffic when backing up
 Adaptive Cruise Control that is capable of operating at speeds between 0 and approximately 125 MPH
Old 01-31-14, 10:51 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm good question. My bet would be that it is software. The sensors are there and the chime that is sounded I think is the same as the proximity sensors.
Old 01-31-14, 12:45 PM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

I also believe adding cross traffic sensing functionality when the vehicle already has BSM sensors and hardware is a matter of a software update. The question remains how to get Lexus/Toyota to cooperate in providing such an update to existing vehicles. Can anyone suggest how to identify and contact the person empowered to make such a decision within Lexus?
Old 01-31-14, 03:28 PM
Tom450
Driver

What are the chances it is just a chip that can be replaced on the 13 with the one from the 14 or something like it. The software is already in place for the 14 so how do we get it into the 13?
Old 01-31-14, 05:12 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

I think a software upgrade is highly unlikely. I'd be thrilled to get it.
Old 02-01-14, 06:50 AM
JT51
Driver

I am also interested in getting this upgrade.
Old 02-03-14, 04:31 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cross traffic saved the day yesterday in a parking lot when an idiot thought parking lot was a drag strip. It sensed that idiotic driver pretty far away. On the other hand, blind spot monitor seems to sense only the cars that are on next lane. When I am switching lane, if there is a car on two lanes over, it doesn't blink. It only blinks when there is one in blind spot.

Perhaps the sensor has two different modes, wide and narrow range? If so, perhaps sensor in 14 is different from 13?
Old 02-03-14, 12:06 PM
Tom450
Driver

I just called Lexus to see if they can add the CTAM and they said it was a port installed option. In other words from the manufacturer so they could not do it but gave me the name of a person who may be able to help. I called him and he didn't think he could but will check to see and get back to me. Hopefully it is possible but it may have some effect on the warranty so I am waiting to see what options if any there are.
Old 02-11-14, 09:15 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is another example of Lexus treating software/firmware as a "dead" item, basically fixing only if broken.

If a new capability is added to that model after the car is delivered, and doesn't require a hardware change, Lexus should make it available to all previous purchasers, even at a modest fee, if necessary. And it should not require going to a dealer, to pay for a couple of hours of shop time - $$$. I can understand the need to protect some systems like safety, power train, emissions, etc., but convenience features like this can be segregated - it's not rocket science, but there has to be a desire to do it.

The computer industry understands the concept of upgradability (hardware/software); Lexus, who uses computers for more and more functions in their cars, does NOT. It's true that most other brands aren't much better, but they are ahead of Lexus. Consider that a nav database update for Lexus requires leaving your car with the service department ($$$), in addition to the cost of the database, while Volvo let's you buy a DVD set, which you install yourself by just dropping them into the DVD slot. Which company is taking better care of their customers?

Even a cellphone like iPhone gets updates with new functionality for free, as long as the hardware supports it. Yet the phone doesn't even cost 1% of the GS! Lexus can learn from Apple.

Very few people trade their cars every year, yet that's exactly what you have to do to keep up with technology. I don't have the stats, but I suspect most people hold their cars at least 4 years - in the world of technology, that's an eternity!

Unfortunately, Lexus still doesn't get it. They want you to be a loyal customer, yet they do stupid things like this to make you spend more and more money.

Lexus has established itself as an industry leader in so many areas, yet they choose to be a reluctant follower in this one...shame.
Old 02-17-14, 06:14 AM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Traffic Monitor post purchase upgrade

Originally Posted by hziemba
This is another example of Lexus treating software/firmware as a "dead" item, basically fixing only if broken.

If a new capability is added to that model after the car is delivered, and doesn't require a hardware change, Lexus should make it available to all previous purchasers, even at a modest fee, if necessary. And it should not require going to a dealer, to pay for a couple of hours of shop time - $$$. I can understand the need to protect some systems like safety, power train, emissions, etc., but convenience features like this can be segregated - it's not rocket science, but there has to be a desire to do it.

The computer industry understands the concept of upgradability (hardware/software); Lexus, who uses computers for more and more functions in their cars, does NOT. It's true that most other brands aren't much better, but they are ahead of Lexus. Consider that a nav database update for Lexus requires leaving your car with the service department ($$$), in addition to the cost of the database, while Volvo let's you buy a DVD set, which you install yourself by just dropping them into the DVD slot. Which company is taking better care of their customers?

Even a cellphone like iPhone gets updates with new functionality for free, as long as the hardware supports it. Yet the phone doesn't even cost 1% of the GS! Lexus can learn from Apple.

Very few people trade their cars every year, yet that's exactly what you have to do to keep up with technology. I don't have the stats, but I suspect most people hold their cars at least 4 years - in the world of technology, that's an eternity!

Unfortunately, Lexus still doesn't get it. They want you to be a loyal customer, yet they do stupid things like this to make you spend more and more money.

Lexus has established itself as an industry leader in so many areas, yet they choose to be a reluctant follower in this one...shame.
Well said -- my sentiments exactly. It seems that Lexus has built in functionality to upgrade/update features like Enform (and its apps) which generate a very profitable annuity for them. As for other updates, like the one we're discussing, which do not have a profitable annual revenue stream, no motivation exists on Lexus' part to make that happen.

Last edited by lexusmavin; 02-17-14 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 02-17-14, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by GS14AWD
When I am switching lane, if there is a car on two lanes over, it doesn't blink. It only blinks when there is one in blind spot.
Well of course, its a blind spot monitor not a car two lanes over monitor

Originally Posted by hziemba
You need to change the nature of how the automotive industry responds to these changes. The computer industry is a completely different industry...

What car companies are different? None I've ever done business with. What car companies add features made available on newer model years to older model years? Thats just not the common practice in the auto industry...computers are different.

Lexus used to have a DVD navigation system you could update yourself, they switched to a hard drive system because it holds far more data than a simple DVD can hold. The new IS has an SD card system you can update yourself...gives them the storage they need to provide the product they want to provide and allows for easier upgrading.

Volvo may have a DVD system, but its not going to have the depth of data or the functionality of the Lexus system, just as the previous Lexus DVD systems did not. DVDs don't hold much data nowadays...
Old 02-17-14, 08:14 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if the car was not equipped with it then chances are you won't be able to get the RCTM. i'm thinking maybe a rear sensor swap with software upgrades.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 cross traffic monitor