Dash beginning to squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 12:53 AM
m1c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash beginning to squeak

Anyone else have a squeaky dash???
At 25k miles, I started noticing an intermittent squeak when on rough roads but didn't know where it was coming from exactly, now at 26,500 miles it squeaks consistently when ever I hit a bump or on rough roads so I was able to confirm its coming from behind the center console. It sounds like theres a mouse behind my dash and its driving me crazy. I have read a lot on the rattle issues and wind noise which I'm also experiencing but nothing on squeaks. I'm going to see if I can fix it without tearing out the dash, before taking her back to the dealer.
Old 01-27-14, 05:32 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have noticed on occasion a squeak that maybe coming from my dash. But it only occurs after the car has been left out overnight on the driveway and temperatures drop to below -15C or -20C. The noise clears after warm up. Still, I wonder what the situation will be in another year or two. Of course low temperature are not your issue.

What has me more concerned is the squawking noise coming from my rear passenger side suspension. Dealer has looked at it and thinks it is water collecting around the shock and is cold related.
Old 01-27-14, 06:57 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,215 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by m1c
Anyone else have a squeaky dash???
At 25k miles, I started noticing an intermittent squeak when on rough roads but didn't know where it was coming from exactly, now at 26,500 miles it squeaks consistently when ever I hit a bump or on rough roads so I was able to confirm its coming from behind the center console. It sounds like theres a mouse behind my dash and its driving me crazy. I have read a lot on the rattle issues and wind noise which I'm also experiencing but nothing on squeaks. I'm going to see if I can fix it without tearing out the dash, before taking her back to the dealer.
My dash and driver door rattle like crazy. I don't want to take either apart, though, so I live with it. The "roads" here are pretty bad, every car develops noises after a while of driving around here.
Old 01-27-14, 11:39 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Squeak in Dash

Me Too!! Squeak noise occasionally from center dash or near top of glove compartment. Might be weather related but my car is housed in garage. At work car is outside. I have 13,000 miles and started two months ago. Dealer cannot hear it. Will see if it continues with warmer weather on east coast someday. Let me know if you find anything. I have the 2013 and had car about 16 months.
Old 01-27-14, 03:40 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an intermittent squeak/rattle from the plastic trim around the nav screen (intermittent meaning I hear it every so often but the service staff never can). They've put wood felt in to tighten it up and that helped but did not cure it completely. I'll have them try again at my next service.

It does seem related to the ambient temperature, like the plastic is contracting when cold just enough to provide enough room to rattle/vibrate.
Old 01-28-14, 01:01 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I also had a squeak around the glove box area. After several trips around the block with a buddy driving my car, I discovered a plastic piece ( looked like maybe the vent the blows warm air on the feet ), behind the plastic panel below the glove box. My remedy was not very sophisticated, but permanently worked. I shoved a rag between the vent and the trim panel and the rattle was eliminated. Other than that, my GS has been rattle free and solid.
Old 01-29-14, 08:02 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow would have thought they learned their lessons from the probably big losses of fixing dash rattles in the 3GS.

If the 4GS is anything like mine, and you want to save your sanity right away just get some felt or even cut up some old socks and stuff them between the windshield and the dashboard with a butter knife and problem solved (mostly).
Old 01-29-14, 11:22 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my doors are the biggest rattle culprits in the car, and also the small aluminum trim portion to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 01-30-14, 08:20 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I haven't had any real rattling, nothing like my 3GS but a small creak that lasted a few seconds.
Old 01-30-14, 12:12 PM
joehp1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a squeak. Solution was to remove the passenger side speaker grill between the windshield and dash. Cut a rubber door stop in half and wedged it in between the speaker and the dash. Solved! Took it to dealer, told them exactly where, and what I did, to correct the problem. Their solution: take out my rubber door stop and put a piece of foam around the speaker grill. This was not the problem. Plus, they threw away my door stop!!!!!!! It was called try to do anything but fix the problem. Of course it made the noise again all the way home. Had to do same thing with another door stop!