GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport vs Luxury Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 06:35 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default F-Sport vs Luxury Package

Am I correct that the primary differences between an F-Sport and a Luxury Package are cosmetic, tires and larger front brakes? The primary F-Sport features are the Sport S+ mode and Adaptive Variable Suspension which the Luxury Package has too. The luxury package provides some other useful features - Fog Lamps, 3 zone climate, rear radio controls, adaptive front lighting, better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory. In the end, there is only a about a $500 diifference. Anyone drive both? Is there a difference in the handling or ride? Or is it the cosmetic features the attraction?

A side note - the Lexus build site need some corrections Heated Steering Wheel and Rain Sensing Wipers are part of the Cold Weather Package. The columns for F-Sport and Luxury both include the cold weather package but the checks are not set in both columns.

2014 GS/AWD Luxury and Cold Weather Package, BSM, Park Assist, Power Trunk

Last edited by dougm213; 01-22-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 06:55 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The F-sport AVS Sport+ settings is tuned for more sportier ride and is definitely firmer then the Luxury Sport +. There is less body roll in the F-sport then the Luxury. The dampers are firmer by default on the F-sport then the Luxury in normal mode. I prefer the handling big time over the Luxury. The tires also contribute to the ride difference but I put Michelins on my Fsport to give it a smoother ride since the standard bridgstones on the F-sport awd where not good. You really have to drive them both to know.
Old 01-22-14, 07:59 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

3 letters : DRS
Old 01-22-14, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't say "better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory" is a positive. The F Sport actually has the best, most supportive seats with thigh extenders. The Luxury simply has more adjustments.
Old 01-22-14, 08:10 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by natnut
3 letters : DRS
You can get DRS with the Luxury Package Rear Drive vehicle.

Sounds like the true delineator is a more aggressively turned AVS and Sport S+ mode plus the tires and bigger front brakes.
Old 01-22-14, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Cabernet/Aluminum interior is also exclusive to the F Sport and after almost 2 years of owning my car I still find it striking.
Old 01-22-14, 08:14 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dseag2
I wouldn't say "better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory" is a positive. The F Sport actually has the best, most supportive seats with thigh extenders. The Luxury simply has more adjustments.
I did sit in the F-Sport, I'll have to disagree. The Luxury also has the thigh extenders and also has the upper back adjustment. For my old bones, I prefer the Luxury seats.
Old 01-22-14, 08:20 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dougm213
You can get DRS with the Luxury Package Rear Drive vehicle.

Sounds like the true delineator is a more aggressively turned AVS and Sport S+ mode plus the tires and bigger front brakes.

That's not actually correct. DRS : Dynamic Rear Steering or for that matter VGRS is an option available only to the F-Sport.

That's the reason why LDH (Lexus Dynamic Handling) is only available on F-Sport since LDH = DRS+VGRS+special software tuning to enable both DRS and VGRS systems to work together.

Luxury shares the mechanicals of the adaptive dampers with F-Sport but lacks the mechanicals of the VGRS and DRS as well as lacks the software for the LDH.

Last edited by natnut; 01-23-14 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 08:25 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Default How VGRS in F-Sport Works

Prime Cuts: Lexus Variable Gear Ratio Steering
From March 2012 issue of Car and Driver

The ability to change a vehicle’s steering ratio has many advantages. A quicker ratio (fewer turns lock-to-lock) can give a vehicle a deft feel. At high speeds, switching to a slower ratio (more turns lock-to-lock) imparts a better sense of stability.

Lexus is not alone in using a computer-controlled system to change ratios, but its approach is pretty trick. Note that this type of active steering is far more involved than the variable-ratio units with rack teeth cut at differing angles; they can’t make ratio changes on the fly over the full range of lock. The more complex Lexus (and Audi) approach is essentially a gearbox built into the steering column between the steering wheel and the pinion gear.

Unlike BMW’s active steering system, which employs a planetary gearbox, Lexus’s Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) uses something called a wave generator and a flexible gear. Lexus claims its system is more accurate and quicker acting than others. VGRS can be found on the LS sedan, the LX SUV, and the new GS F Sport. We sliced into the unit to get an idea of  how it works and because we wanted to find out what a wave generator is.

Old 01-22-14, 08:27 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Default Lexus Dynamic Handling : Incorporating DRS and reserved only for GS F-Sport

NOTE : LDH is reserved only for GS F-Sport.

Even IS F-Sport doesn't get DRS/LDH except in its home country of Japan.
Old 01-23-14, 04:49 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 01-23-14, 05:16 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not actually correct. DRS : Dynamic Rear Steering or for that matter VGRS is an option available only to the F-Sport.

That's the reason why only LDH (Lexus Dynamic Handling) is only available on F-Sport since LDH = DRS+VGRS+special software tuning to enable both DRS and VGRS systems to work together.

Luxury shares the mechanicals of the adaptive dampers with F-Sport but lacks the mechanicals of the VGRS and DRS as well as lacks the software for the LDH.
But you can only get DRS when you lack AWD, correct? Not everyone lives in California, Texas or Arizona. Do you see how much snow we're getting in the Midwest and Northeast? Gotta have AWD. It's better handling anyway, even on dry pavement.
Old 01-23-14, 05:24 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Lexus GS Dynamic Handling System - YouTube

NOTE : LDH is reserved only for GS F-Sport.

Even IS F-Sport doesn't get DRS/LDH except in its home country of Japan.
I just watched one of the YouTube videos that showed Lexus Dynamic Handing on the Luxury model.
Old 01-23-14, 06:07 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Originally Posted by dougm213
A side note - the Lexus build site need some corrections Heated Steering Wheel and Rain Sensing Wipers are part of the Cold Weather Package. The columns for F-Sport and Luxury both include the cold weather package but the checks are not set in both columns.
Just a correction, but the rain sensing wipers are not part of the cold weather package. The heated steering wheel is though, unless you get the hybrid version, I think.
Old 01-23-14, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The luxury model has the same thigh extenders.

It all depends on what you're looking for, a sportier drive, look & feel or a more luxurious look drive and feel? The F Sport looks more aggressive outside, it feels colder and more teutonic inside (which its supposed to) with the aluminum trim and the metal pedals, sport steering wheel, etc. I personally am a more luxury oriented buyer, so the luxury was the right fit for me but you can't go wrong.

Overall the F Sport definitely feels firmer and sportier on the road in all modes...

Quick Reply: F-Sport vs Luxury Package