GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blind Spot Monitor - Do you rely solely on it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 09:09 AM
woodturner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Blind Spot Monitor - Do you rely solely on it?

I have had my 2013 GS for about 10 days now and it is the first car I have owned with a blind spot monitor. I am still getting used to having the technology present. This leads me to my question. Do you check your blind spot the old way anymore prior to changing lanes or do you rely 100% on the BSM to indicate the presence of a car in your blind spot?
Old 01-22-14, 09:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm getting a bit lazy and an starting to rely on the monitor.Though,I do check the mirror too but don't turn to look.
Old 01-22-14, 09:27 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not rely on it. I use it more to be aware of what is in my blind spot. But when changing lanes I still look over my shoulder.
Old 01-22-14, 10:55 AM
DEEAuto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto... I always Look before switching lanes... Better Safe than sorry...
Old 01-22-14, 10:58 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm getting a bit lazy and an starting to rely on the monitor.Though,I do check the mirror too but don't turn to look.
ditto! Thanks Lexus for making me a lazy donkey
Old 01-22-14, 11:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
ditto! Thanks Lexus for making me a lazy donkey

I haven't heard that scary horn blast when moving into a lane yet.
Old 01-22-14, 11:05 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

it works fairly well, however sometimes you have more than enough room to switch lanes even though the orange light is illuminating signaling you cant
Old 01-22-14, 11:11 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont solely rely on the BSM. I always scan my surrounding when I drive and glance over my shoulder before changing lane. I dont know how far back the sensors are reading but you never when someone sneak up on you really fast.
It is equally important not to stay on someone else blind spot.
BSM is a great additional help but not substitute!
Old 01-22-14, 11:19 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The short answer is no, don't rely solely on the BSMs. They don't always work. First of all, they don't work under 20 MPH, they are not always reliable, and sometimes the're switched off by mistake.

However, a much better solution is adjust your side view mirrors to avoid the blind spots entirely. Do a quick search on the Internet and you will find many articles about adjusting your side view mirrors outward to cover the blind spot areas and not cover the same behind-the-car areas that are already covered by the rear view mirror. Using this method, when a passing car is just disappearing from the rear view mirror, it shows up in the side view mirror, and only disappears from that view when you can see it right next to you outside your window.

I started using this method for about a year. But when I purchased my new Lexus with the BSM system, I went back to the conventional method. For a while I was convinced that this was the right thing to do. I drove this way for many months before I realized that I was depending too much on the BSMs. After some near misses, I went back to the new method described above. I immediately felt much more confident, and even though the BSMs are somewhat redundant, I feel that as a back up system, they are quite useful and simply make me feel even more confident when switching lanes.

Here's an example article that can explain this much better than I can. As stated in this article, this method was recommend by The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in 1995.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

There are many other articles that can be found about this method. Do a quick search that explains how to set this up. I believe that once you get used to it, you will never go back.

Anyone else use this method?
Old 01-22-14, 02:11 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont rely on it...it is justthere to help. The bsm doesnt help you when another car merges onto the same lane from another lane (this ****happens often).
Old 01-22-14, 02:20 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

>Anyone else use this method?

Oh yes, for years and years. I figured it out by myself before I read anything about it; it just didn't make sense to be looking at the side of my car in the mirror, but I think most people imagine they will lose orientation without that visual reference. Not true! Takes about an hour to get used to.
Old 01-22-14, 05:23 PM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too, for several years. it is way better and much safer, BSM is not needed if the mirrors are adjusted correctly.
Old 01-22-14, 06:05 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't rely on it when changing lanes. I look over my shoulder as a habit. However it is a good warning to check before moving over and that's what I use it for. I think the distance it allows is a pretty safe distance to change lanes.
Old 01-22-14, 07:06 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting article LexusGSFGO I will have to experiment with this. These days one does not have time to check 2 mirrors before changing lanes, what with the kamikaze drivers out on our highways.

I have relied on BSM as a support tool, using the side mirrors and turning and glancing around the thick B pillar primarily. Also I have the butterfly type headrests which nestle up to your head,but are a big obstruction themselves.
Old 01-22-14, 07:56 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm def getting a little lazy not relying on it but getting there.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Monitor - Do you rely solely on it?