GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which smartphones support all features?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 05:13 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jscgs350
No worries. Let me know if you'd like me to track down any more settings on my end.
Just one more question - the contact images that are showing up - are these stored locally on your phone? Or are these syncing from gmail?
Old 12-31-13, 05:52 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj14
Just one more question - the contact images that are showing up - are these stored locally on your phone? Or are these syncing from gmail?
No problem at all!

All sync'd via Gmail contacts. I don't keep any contacts local on the phone or car.

- JC
Old 12-31-13, 06:31 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
HTC One here, it does everything, like the Galaxy S4 does.

You can check Lexus' (outdated) compatibility grid. When you first sync your phone via bluetooth, you can go look at another info screen that shows what the phone is advertising via Bluetooth. I imagine the iPhone has a very short list, and Lexus isn't alone with this poor support. Apple just makes it extremely hard to do anything besides listen to music and make phone calls via BT.

+1 on the music management headache. I've had my car start playing songs in alphabetical order, stick to a single artist folder, or any number of things. I don't understand it but it has to do with what you're doing with the music app on the phone prior to connecting to the car.
I played a lot with USB and BT music last night and this morning. Drove me nuts...

I ended up settling on just using a thumb drive in the USB port in the car for a couple reasons. One big reason is that I just can't get the stupid car to recognize folders/artists on the phone via BT or USB. All I can "click" on to select are the song tracks. If I want to change artists I need to use the phone, and that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I tried Samsung's default internal storage location for music, tried external storage, and just about any folder Samsung's music player could find MP3's in. I did the same with Google Play. Nothing, nope, nadda...

When I copied just a few folders to test with directly from my phone's music folder to a thumb drive and plugged it in to the car - wham - it worked perfectly. I did nothing to the files and folders on the phone except to just copy them to the root of the thumb drive. Now I'm able to select track and folder/artist. Nice. What's missing are playlists like what's available via an iPod. I can live without that, and perhaps come up with a workaround.

If you have a lot of MP3's like I do, it will take a while for the car to check all the files before the folder/artist selection becomes available: P.462 --> http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05-03.pdf

Using a thumb drive isn't my ideal method for listening to my music, and I don't plan on joining the Apple fan club any time soon, but what I have works for now. I have a really good relationship with my local dealer, so the next time I'm there I plan on showing them how inconvenient this is, and to see if they have any more info (beside's blaming Samsung).

I have no idea if this is a Lexus or Samsung compatibility "thing", so I plan on experimenting with my wife's Moto Droid later on this week. I also have another idea I want to try on the S4 as well.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-13, 09:33 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an Android phone by Google. Apple products are inferior. You don't want them.
Old 12-31-13, 10:29 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

How did you get your S4 to show emails? Does it show a different TAB or in the same as the SMS? I had an HTC before and that one had 2 tabs in the car, one for SMS and one for EMAILs. I can't get my S4 to show e-mails at all, not even from the native client. thx.
Old 12-31-13, 11:40 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by obadea
How did you get your S4 to show emails? Does it show a different TAB or in the same as the SMS? I had an HTC before and that one had 2 tabs in the car, one for SMS and one for EMAILs. I can't get my S4 to show e-mails at all, not even from the native client. thx.
Timely post. I just played around with my wife's Moto HD Razr Max, and I was able to get the email tab, but not with the S4. I swear I saw that tab with the S4, maybe before the latest OTA update?

Since I'm a Gmail user, and have a separate corporate email app, I haven't payed a lot of attention to the email function in our car until now. What I do know is that I've seen that tab before. Up until the S4, I've always used a Motorola device. I'm beginning to believe that everything I'm experiencing problems with are more related to device manufactures than anything Lexus can control.

I'm watching The Devil's Brigade right now, so as soon as it finishes I'll play around with an older Razr Maxx.
Old 12-31-13, 11:54 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

No problem at all!

All sync'd via Gmail contacts. I don't keep any contacts local on the phone or car.

- JC
I think I figured out the problem. On my car, I had it set to show incoming call information on the side screen. I changed it to show on the main screen - hopefully, that will fix it (didn't get a chance to try it out yet)
Old 12-31-13, 12:56 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

It won't show the picture I the side screen. The side screen has a button that will show is in full screen anyway.
Old 01-01-14, 11:09 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Timely post. I just played around with my wife's Moto HD Razr Max, and I was able to get the email tab, but not with the S4. I swear I saw that tab with the S4, maybe before the latest OTA update?

Since I'm a Gmail user, and have a separate corporate email app, I haven't payed a lot of attention to the email function in our car until now. What I do know is that I've seen that tab before. Up until the S4, I've always used a Motorola device. I'm beginning to believe that everything I'm experiencing problems with are more related to device manufactures than anything Lexus can control.

I'm watching The Devil's Brigade right now, so as soon as it finishes I'll play around with an older Razr Maxx.
On my HTC One, if you don't use the default mail app and setup the Gmail app instead, the car won't alert you and read incoming emails. The default mail app is the key here.
Old 01-02-14, 06:50 AM
Ferrcad
Driver School Candidate

I hate to ask... Any luck with the Blackberry products? Version 5, 7 or 10 for email? I can't seem to find the enform app on Blackberry World but it seems to be listed in all literature from Lexus regarding the enform information that one is available...
Old 01-02-14, 05:01 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
On my HTC One, if you don't use the default mail app and setup the Gmail app instead, the car won't alert you and read incoming emails. The default mail app is the key here.
Yup, exactly, that's how my wife's phone (Razr HD Max) is set up because she's not a Gmail user.

But... I created a brand new Yahoo email account, and set up the default mail client on the S4 just for that account, and still no Email tab. So I then set up my wife's mail account on the S4 in the default client, and still nothing. So then I switched phones from the S4 to the Razr in the car's bluetooth settings, and the Email tab shows up. Go figure.

Has to be a Samsung/S4 issue of some sort, or just some issue with manufactures not able, or not wanting, to comply with certain standards?

I'm also starting wonder if certain security software/policies is/are influencing anything. We just recently deployed AirWatch as a requirement to access corporate email. AirWatch is on the S4 but not the Razr.
Old 01-07-14, 12:54 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Would any of you kind folks be able to take a picture of an Email coming in and being displayed on the screen? I had asked my service advisor to look into this and his technical guy told him that Email display is not possible - only SMS and phonecalls.
Hoping that with a picture, he might be able to escalate further to find a resolution to this.

Thanks
Old 01-07-14, 02:43 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I have an iPhone5 with iOS7. I get the emails, and I can see the subject. However, the body of the email is not showing. When I press the "read" button it gets stuck on loading.
How did you get e-mails to show up from the iPhone? I can't even get the subject line to show on an incoming e-mail...
Old 05-13-14, 05:35 PM
osmany21
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys new to the forum. Just picked up my 2014 GS350 today and attempted to sync my Galaxy S4. I am on the most recent 4.4.2 OS so not sure that matters. But I can make calls, play music, etc. Now when I attempt to update contacts It does not work. At first it fails, then I try again and it starts syncing til it gets to 197 and then fails. I've wipes the pairing etc and it does the same thing over and over. Any Idea as to what it could be.

Thanks,

Osmany21
Old 05-13-14, 07:07 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
I think I figured out the problem. On my car, I had it set to show incoming call information on the side screen. I changed it to show on the main screen - hopefully, that will fix it (didn't get a chance to try it out yet)
how did you changed that?

Quick Reply: Which smartphones support all features?