GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 06:49 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yardie, I'm in the same boat as you. I want a remote start, and I'm not quite sure what to do. I know that I want my Lexus dealer to install it this way if anything goes wrong with the remote start, ignition, engine or starter wear, etc. I can just drop it at their doorstep and its their problem, not mine. I think they'll install a viper unit or a RES, but if they both require the car to be restarted, I might just go RES since the range issue (I hope) isn't too relevant based upon my line of sight office window to car, which would be the majority of my use of the RES. I also don't want to have to wait for an app to boot up and connect on the iPhone. My dealer wants $795 for the RES. I can usually get them to come down a bit - I'll ask on Monday how much install is/if they can "match" the Sewell price for the unit and do a bit better on the labor.
Old 12-01-13, 04:46 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That is so stupid.
If you go with an aftermarket remote start,the engine doesn't shut down.
Neither do Jeeps. Silly design feature that adds nothing, not even a boost in security, to the package.
Old 12-01-13, 03:12 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have it.. no, it's not worth it.. the range is not good at all!
Toyota's remote start has always sucked.
Old 12-01-13, 03:44 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dagwag77
Yardie, I'm in the same boat as you. I want a remote start, and I'm not quite sure what to do. I know that I want my Lexus dealer to install it this way if anything goes wrong with the remote start, ignition, engine or starter wear, etc. I can just drop it at their doorstep and its their problem, not mine. I think they'll install a viper unit or a RES, but if they both require the car to be restarted, I might just go RES since the range issue (I hope) isn't too relevant based upon my line of sight office window to car, which would be the majority of my use of the RES. I also don't want to have to wait for an app to boot up and connect on the iPhone. My dealer wants $795 for the RES. I can usually get them to come down a bit - I'll ask on Monday how much install is/if they can "match" the Sewell price for the unit and do a bit better on the labor.
I really want the stock remote start but I don't know if it's worth it. If I could buy and install it for under $350 I'd be good. That's likely not gonna happen lol.
Old 12-01-13, 05:51 PM
d2w4x8nb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 2013 gs350

I read all the comments about the remote start and I purchased an aftermarket one w/security. I am so happy I read the comments first!!
Old 12-01-13, 06:00 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by d2w4x8nb
I read all the comments about the remote start and I purchased an aftermarket one w/security. I am so happy I read the comments first!!
I'd be doing the same thing but I'm too picky and don't want a second fob.
Old 12-09-13, 02:54 PM
gsny2014
Driver School Candidate

When you install an after-market one, can it void your warranty somehow? I've heard different things.
Old 12-09-13, 04:40 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

A friend on her second GX had them on both and loved it. For her (and me at work), car is close to the window.

The dealer is installing mine next week. After we negotiated price but before I said 'yes', I asked about remote, winter mats and flat repair kit (didn't request it just asked what that did) and he included all for nothing extra so I'm going for it. Car will be warm enough that restarting won't be a problem.
Old 12-24-13, 08:16 PM
d2w4x8nb
Driver School Candidate

I got the Code Alarm CA6553 and I haven't had any problems with at all. Best investment I made!!!

It has a security system, remote start, keyless entry. 2 way LCD Display. I haven't played with all the features on it. The only thing I don't like is you have to keep your Lexus remote as well. The guy said in the future there should be a way for you to only have 1 remote, but for right now, I got 2.
Old 02-06-14, 03:35 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This worked on my LS460 so I'm going to try it on the GS

Alright guys, I just ordered a bypass module today and have the flash the firmware for the GS350, the same one I used on my 07' LS460. Its the DB-ALL - Databus All Interface Module made by XpressKit. It works great on the LS and comes in handy like days like this (snowing and cold in TX!). The function is to start the car via OEM remote.
Old 02-06-14, 03:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Alright guys, I just ordered a bypass module today and have the flash the firmware for the GS350, the same one I used on my 07' LS460. Its the DB-ALL - Databus All Interface Module made by XpressKit. It works great on the LS and comes in handy like days like this (snowing and cold in TX!). The function is to start the car via OEM remote.
Sounds like the same module I have in conjunction with the Viper Smart Start. One thing I didn't realize though is it has to be reprogrammed every time the battery is disconnected. I contemplated just adding the DB All for like $100 and using the fob to start it but the range is so horrible I just put in the Smart Start. When you go to program it see what cool option/setting you find!
Old 02-06-14, 06:55 PM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsny2014
When you install an after-market one, can it void your warranty somehow? I've heard different things.
I had the same question and I've called the dealer about it.
They said that they will me back and never did. I am looking at the VIPER auto start but I am scared to get it unless the dealer confirms with me that it will be okay..
Old 02-06-14, 07:21 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

With all the cold and snow these past weeks, I love remote start. No problem starting from my office window 50-60 feet away.
Old 04-10-14, 02:44 PM
bhbiv
Driver

Originally Posted by G-SharK
So would you need a aftermarket remote start in conjunction with the system? I have a 04LS and can't find anyone that uses their oem fob. But I've seen it done but those people still have not shared their secret. What all is needed to use with a oem smart key?
Old 04-10-14, 03:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bhbiv
So would you need a aftermarket remote start in conjunction with the system? I have a 04LS and can't find anyone that uses their oem fob. But I've seen it done but those people still have not shared their secret. What all is needed to use with a oem smart key?
It depends if an '04 LS is remote start ready (RSR). I am not sure how to decipher if it is or not from the website. Your best bet would be to call an authorized installed and ask if your vehicle is RSR.

Here's the website: http://www.xpresskit.com/VehicleComp...0&ps=1&s=0&c=0

Quick Reply: Remote Start