GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield is extra fragile

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 07:26 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield is extra fragile

I have been through a bit of fun with windshields for the GS lately. It started about a month ago. a small rock hit the windshield, I didn't really even get a star but a crack ran from the top to bottom anyway. I got the windshield replaced but, after the install, fould the windhield was not made for the HUD setup and has a bubble at the top of the glass, so they glass company came out and replaced it with the right one, a Lexus OEM part.

On the way home that very day, a fricken concrete truck driving in the fast lane was scattering rocks on the road.. well, that windshield was hit and cracked... this time there was 2 large stars.. I was pissed, to say the least. Had the glass on the car 5 hours.

Now I am on my 4th windshield .. car has 6K miles..

Now to my point, Safelite Glass told me that they have replaced many windshileds on the'13 GS350. The glass seems to be either extra fragile, at a bad angle or under some structural stress that makes it crack too easy....
Old 11-20-13, 07:31 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow that sucks!
Old 11-20-13, 09:51 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Great, something to look forward to.
Old 11-20-13, 11:06 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just seems like bad luck to me, sorry to hear bud! I would take a cracked windshield over a nearly half painted car any day! Hope this makes you feel better.
Old 11-20-13, 11:49 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nexson
Just seems like bad luck to me, sorry to hear bud! I would take a cracked windshield over a nearly half painted car any day! Hope this makes you feel better.
I was running around throwing salt over my shoulder, helping little ladies across the road, etc.. anything to change my luck!

Indeed, a windshield is easier to replace than a screwed up paint job
Old 11-20-13, 12:17 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have a 3gen GS and I have been through 5-6 windshields in 80K miles. Rocks that use to bounce off my Audi windshield or my current BMW, crack the Lexus windshield. I think it is the angle because I have had Safelite windshields crack just like Lexus OEM windshields. Sounds like the 4th gen has the same problem.
Old 11-20-13, 12:21 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I still have a 3gen GS and I have been through 5-6 windshields in 80K miles. Rocks that use to bounce off my Audi windshield or my current BMW, crack the Lexus windshield. I think it is the angle because I have had Safelite windshields crack just like Lexus OEM windshields. Sounds like the 4th gen has the same problem.
Must be that. I had a TL prior to this and has a star in that never ran. I was able to repair that and never had another problem. I was surprised when the first winshiled cracked with such a small rock and littl espor where it contacted the windshield.
Old 11-20-13, 02:29 PM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Good Lord. Do you live next to a quarry?!
Old 11-21-13, 04:05 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rbradleysd
Good Lord. Do you live next to a quarry?!
No, not even close.. Houston.. lots of construction all over
Old 11-21-13, 06:40 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Now to my point, Safelite Glass told me that they have replaced many windshileds on the'13 GS350. The glass seems to be either extra fragile, at a bad angle or under some structural stress that makes it crack too easy....
Sure sorry to read about your string of bad luck. From my personal experience with Safelite Auto Glass, I wouldn't believe anything they had to say. I wouldn't take my car anywhere close to that company. The last Lexus I took to them sustained $800 worth of damage due to their inexperienced and incompetent employees. They ended up paying for the damage but I had to threaten a lawsuit before they agreed to settle. I'll let Lexus fix my windshields and know that it will be done correctly.
Old 05-19-14, 10:28 PM
gotink
Rookie

It's just toyota glass try driving a fj cruiser,
Old 05-19-14, 10:52 PM
gsstud
Pole Position

Fj or 4runner.. horrible...had both. :-( safelite uses cheap glass if you don't request oem.
Old 05-20-14, 03:59 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

That is so strange. I have so far been very impressed with my windshield. I have had some of the biggest rocks hit the windshield at some very high speeds without a single crack. I even had a rock the size of a golf ball hit the windshield once and not crack it and that was at about 60 mph. I've also had some other medium sized rocks hit the windshield on track days going at about 120 mph with no crack whatsoever. I must be the lucky one who got the extra strong windshield lol. Lucky me!
Old 05-20-14, 05:07 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

At my dealer they have this option for $700 and you can replace as many windshields as you get cracked for 2y I think. There might be some rules that apply I dont know for sure, anyway, I was told that they would replace with the OEM glass
Old 05-21-14, 11:50 AM
dagwag77
Driver

My barely 6 month old windshield is all effed up, pitted, small chips everywhere, and looks horrible. I'm quite frustrated at how "soft" the glass seems, and seems I'm not the only one. Anyone taken this up (successfully or unsuccessfully) with their dealer or Lexus corporate?

Quick Reply: Windshield is extra fragile