GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates

Old 01-20-16, 06:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I have to travel to Dallas (Frisco area) area every once in a while and I am amazed by all the development going on over there. Especially with Toyota moving their HQ in that area from Torrance.

Addison has some good restaurants there but that humidity sucks.
There's a lot of projects with hundreds of cranes in the skyline all over the Metroplex. Through June of last year more than 2,100 construction projects went out for bid in the Metroplex totaling nearly $8 billion. That compares with 1,461 projects in the first half of 2014 totaling $6 billion. It looks like 2016 will surpass 2015. As you mentioned, the new Toyota headquarters is one of the projects being built. I believe that project is around $700 million, double the original proposed size and cost.

The humidity is more than out west, but lower than the eastern half of the country. I think it's very tolerable. Apparently others do too, because people are moving here from everywhere.
Old 01-20-16, 06:45 PM
mdr2001
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation updates

Although this topic has been beaten to death, I am really disappointed in Lexus for making this process "so difficult" Technology is really not this difficult, but car manufacturers have made a science out of proprietary systems that require the customer to visit the dealer. Since the 2013 GS is a hard drive based system, installing map updates should be a snap via usb. I don't really use the navigation in the car because it seems so cumbersome compared to using my WAZE app on my phone, but admit it would be nice to have all the updates to roads and poi's all the same.

To add further to the situation, the Lexus Enform App could be such a winner if they did not limit the selection to 10 predefined applications.

It would be great if a company like Carista created an app that mimicked Enform, but allowed the use and display of your favorite apps on your navi screen. (hint, hint Carista - ). There are so many well developed apps that would enhance the function of the system and get Lexus out of the map update business, but I guess at $300 for this service they have no incentive to improve the process.

if anyone knows of a DIY for map updates for the 2013 GS - give me a PM, but based on what I read so far, I know it is highly unlikely.

As a side question, has anyone ever pulled the hard drive from the car and reviewed its contents? Just curious as cloning the drive would be interesting for experimenting.
Old 01-20-16, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Lexus is not unique in how they handle the updates.

From what I hear Beat Sonic is working on what looks like a great option for Apple Carplay...
Old 01-20-16, 07:43 PM
mdr2001
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

While this may be a true statement, it does not make it any more palatable for the customer. I equate that to saying " we all failed, but I got the highest failing grade" Many other cars, including Lexus, use DVD or USB only. Tesla does it all over your home Wifi. The need to go to the dealer seems odd for a relatively new car. I guess I see the process the way many view AOL, its a dying process that I anticipate will be obsolete in 10 years when most cars will use owners phone or other technology to be continuously connected.

From what I hear Beat Sonic is working on what looks like a great option for Apple Carplay...
This sounds very interesting, I an strictly an android owner, but the offering will probably lead to more offerings and choices for the end user. Thanks for the info. I hope to see a member write up if the product makes it to market.
Old 01-20-16, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then you should buy a Tesla. You can't expect a mainstream car company like Toyota to be as forward thinking and as on the edge as a startup technology company like Tesla.
Old 01-26-16, 09:10 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It's USB and it's slower than christmas. One time install, then they pull the stick and reboot the car.

The reason the update is so expensive is because of labor. I think the TSB that covers the update process quotes it at 2 hours. Ridiculous.
Finally answered my question on update - only a dealer thing, or available to owners - appears to be a Dealer-Only thing.

Thank you for the info, not what I was hoping, but helpful. :-)
Old 01-26-16, 10:11 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm eager to see how this will work with my 2013. There have been bugs with Apple Carplay, certain apps (Spotify for one) have been slow to operate.
Old 01-26-16, 12:10 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Me too...I just need to get a time where I can take car...my wife drives it daily. But I really want to get down to the bottom of Why I have a NAV software version, but NO Maps...

Then there is this: http://www.lexusoverride.com/ :-(

I feel kinda like the early 2013 owners were badly abandoned by Lexus...its sad, maybe I will luck out and get stuff working properly ??? gotta keep fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-16, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by az-dave
Finally answered my question on update - only a dealer thing, or available to owners - appears to be a Dealer-Only thing.

Thank you for the info, not what I was hoping, but helpful. :-)
This info has been posted on the board many times.
Old 01-26-16, 06:17 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Then you should buy a Tesla. You can't expect a mainstream car company like Toyota to be as forward thinking and as on the edge as a startup technology company like Tesla.
BOOM! Elon Musk is pure genius! Only reason I bought an LS instead was A $2.49 gas and Tesla doesn't do luxury.

***I swear I'm not stalking you.
Old 01-26-16, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
***I swear I'm not stalking you.
Uh huh, sure you're not!
Old 02-25-16, 10:43 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
If you've ever updated a stand-alone GPS (e.g. Garmin) the new mapping and POIs, etc. will take about an hour minimum to install.
Not true in my case. I went through multiple maps/firmware updates on my portable Garmin and it never took more than 15-20 min.
This is my first post, why am I on this forum? Thinking of buying a brand new IS 350 (non- sport). Never owned a Lexus.

Last edited by Olasek; 02-25-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 08:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Olasek
Not true in my case. I went through multiple maps/firmware updates on my portable Garmin and it never took more than 15-20 min.
You may want to re-think your response to how long it takes to install a new map on a Garmin.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ng-to-download

https://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gp...ote=viewresult

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44961
Old 02-26-16, 09:20 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You may want to re-think your response to how long it takes to install a new map on a Garmin.
And why?
My reply was about MY own experience, not someone else's experience.
Very often the system tells me up front it will take an hour to complete the update - but in fact finishes much sooner.
Old 02-26-16, 10:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Olasek
And why?
My reply was about MY own experience, not someone else's experience.
Very often the system tells me up front it will take an hour to complete the update - but in fact finishes much sooner.

Because...I have never heard of anyone that has installed a new map update on their Garmin in only 15-20 minutes. I do not believe it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates