GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Who sells brake parts for 4th gen GS 350 F Sport RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 06:48 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it odd that any manufacturer would install their own brake rotors incorrectly, so I did more research. As it turns out, Toyota/Lexus do install their directional rotors in a direction opposite to what everyone else on the planet does!

I'm looking at the manual for the 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport's front rotors, but don't know how to post it online. So instead, I'll post this picture, presumably from the Toyota Supra's factory service manual. The point is the same: Toyota/Lexus rotors are installed opposite of what you'd expect. And here is the thread (on Club Lexus' own forums) where the info was originally posted.

Old 12-23-13, 05:06 AM
Nismo
Rookie

Lightbulb

And here is a diagram taken from the Factory Service Manual for the 2013 GS 350 F Sport. It shows the same 'opposite-to-everyone-else-on-the-planet' installation. It's on a free image hosting site, imgur.com, so I'm not sure how long it'll be available.

Who sells brake parts for 4th gen GS 350 F Sport RWD?-twoho2h.jpg
Old 12-24-13, 08:20 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo
I was prepping my car for its first track day next weekend and noticed the front rotors are installed incorrectly (if these were a dealer option, I'd understand the dealer's mechanic screwing this up, but I'm a bit surprised that they were installed wrong at the factory).

The front rotors have directional cooling vanes and the left-hand rotor was installed on the right side and vice versa. If Lexus did the same on yours, then that would explain the early pad fade.
U r wrong Lexus is right. They didn't installed wrongly. I thought the same way as u when I saw my rotors vanes is scooping in hot air with the incorrect vanes directly. But examine it closely the design of the Lexus rotors is different from the conventional big brake kits. & the rotors are all marked with "L" being left side & "R" being right.

The curve vanes scoops in air to cool the rotors & the hot air is pushed out to the centre of the rotors.
Old 12-25-13, 07:45 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
U r wrong Lexus is right. They didn't installed wrongly. I thought the same way as u when I saw my rotors vanes is scooping in hot air with the incorrect vanes directly. But examine it closely the design of the Lexus rotors is different from the conventional big brake kits. & the rotors are all marked with "L" being left side & "R" being right.

The curve vanes scoops in air to cool the rotors & the hot air is pushed out to the centre of the rotors.
That is the correct way that rotors perform, is to grab that cold air in the wheel well and drag it through the vane out the middle.
Old 05-18-16, 09:37 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whoa.. are you guys still tracking? I was wondering if you were using stock suspension and if you felt that the car would need coilovers for better handling?
Old 06-01-16, 08:16 PM
Nismo
Rookie

The GS 350 F Sport's stock suspension is super soft for track duty but is ok. It really depends on what you want.

In my S2000 the stock suspension was far too soft for my tastes (even though it was an order of magnitude firmer than my GS) so I installed coilovers and was happy with the big handling improvements.

If you want to turn your GS into a track car, then coilovers would be a must, but as a comfortable street ride with the occasional track day, the stock suspension is ok for this car on street tires.