GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport vs 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by TyGreeny
2014 CTS V-Sport only has two price options. At $60k they are well equiped.
There are two trims, the V Sport at $60k, and the V Sport Premium at $70k. The V Sport is not as well equipped in some ways as an F Sport, while the V Sport Premium is far better equipped. Without the Premium you loose the multi-contour front seats, upgraded leather and some of the climate/comfort features in the F Sport.

For me with Cadillac the big issue is gauges. I love a set of nice looking gauges and their base gauges are terrible, they look like something out of a 90s Buick with the small, half-moon speedometer:

Here's a whole rant about them:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ter-commotion/

Personally, I would have to have the CUE TFT gauge, and you have to have the Premium to get that:

Old 11-07-13, 07:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
There are two trims, the V Sport at $60k, and the V Sport Premium at $70k. The V Sport is not as well equipped in some ways as an F Sport, while the V Sport Premium is far better equipped. Without the Premium you loose the multi-contour front seats, upgraded leather and some of the climate/comfort features in the F Sport. For me with Cadillac the big issue is gauges. I love a set of nice looking gauges and their base gauges are terrible, they look like something out of a 90s Buick with the small, half-moon speedometer: Here's a whole rant about them: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ter-commotion/ Personally, I would have to have the CUE TFT gauge, and you have to have the Premium to get that:
I was wondering why the price as tested was close to the base price. For $60k this is a pretty nice car. I'm liking the looks too. But when you head toward $70k for a more comparably equipped model to the F-Sport, my enthusiasm dwindles. And yea I hate those gauges. First thing I noticed on the ATS. The display looks like an afterthought.
Old 11-07-13, 07:48 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Power wise it needs to be compared to the BMW 550.

Originally Posted by Trek
I like how he called the front end of the F-Sport "hideous." That's exactly what I thought when I went Lexus shopping. When I realized the F-Sport and the Premium/Luxury had the same engine, I went for the better looking front end of the Premium/Luxury. If they put a much more powerful engine in the F-Sport, I might be able to get past the look of the front end and get one in a couple of years. The f-Sport should have an engine that can do a sub-four second 0-60, just like the Caddy.
I like the hideous looking front end of the FSport though. LOL
Old 11-07-13, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
I was wondering why the price as tested was close to the base price. For $60k this is a pretty nice car. I'm liking the looks too. But when you head toward $70k for a more comparably equipped model to the F-Sport, my enthusiasm dwindles. And yea I hate those gauges. First thing I noticed on the ATS. The display looks like an afterthought.
Thats my opinion on pricing. I like the car at $60k, at $70k not as much. To option one the way I would want it its going to be $70k whether its the V Sport or not. At $70k, $5k more gets me an LS. That gets me a very nicely equipped 535. Sure, this has way better power but in my everyday driving 5.5 seconds to 60 vs 4.5 seconds to 60 doesn't make that much difference to me.

The reviewer was most impressed with the CTS vs the GS on the track. On the canyon road when he got back into the GS he was reminded how much he liked it and how similar it was really to the CTS. I don't drive on a track.

At some point theres a point of diminishing return.
Old 11-07-13, 07:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Not bad, seeing as Lexus is still using the same engine from 2006.
Old 11-07-13, 08:32 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CTS V-Sport is probably my next car. I'm really tired of my boat.
Old 03-13-14, 09:39 AM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drove the CTS with Twin Turbo 6 today, using the Cadillac Visa card promotion. I am nothing but impressed. My F Sports seats are nicer, so is the lay out of the dash and interior components, to my taste. The Cady handles maybe a little better, engine and transmission; there is no comparison, the CTS is way better. Road noise is much more noticeable in CTS. Don't know if voice activation is better because I didn't use it. If this CTS was out when I bought mine I would have probably bought the Cady. Its sale price was 64K.
Old 03-13-14, 09:42 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT51
Test drove the CTS with Twin Turbo 6 today, using the Cadillac Visa card promotion. I am nothing but impressed. My F Sports seats are nicer, so is the lay out of the dash and interior components, to my taste. The Cady handles maybe a little better, engine and transmission; there is no comparison, the CTS is way better. Road noise is much more noticeable in CTS. Don't know if voice activation is better because I didn't use it. If this CTS was out when I bought mine I would have probably bought the Cady. Its sale price was 64K.
0-60 in 4.4 seconds stock - and a tune adds nearly 100hp.
Old 03-14-14, 09:24 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
I wouldn't trade in my GS F Sport for that car. I rather have the Lexus over Caddy that have nothing but problems and the resale value on the Lexus will be high in the long run.
The Caddy is faster, has a more powerful engine, and a better suspension, but considering the higher upfront cost and lower reliability (based on my own personal experiences and also Consumer Reports' info) I'd still rather own my Lexus.

That said, I think Lexus should offer a more powerful engine option. And the Lexus tranny is better than the Caddy, so I'm not sure where that comment's coming from.
Old 03-15-14, 07:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

One wonders :

If the GS350 F-Sport had the newer Lexus FI V6 coming next year, how the GS350 F-Sportwould compare to the CTS V-Sport. Seems like the only thing the Caddy is superior in is the powertrain. Handling is a wash and the Lexus has the better interior and reliability.

Last edited by natnut; 03-15-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-15-14, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nismo
And the Lexus tranny is better than the Caddy, so I'm not sure where that comment's coming from.
How do you figure the Lexus' transmission is better than the CTS'? GM's transmissions are actually excellent, and are used in a wide variety of other makes actually. The 8 speed in the TT CTS is a Aisin AW unit...the same company that developed the transmission in the Lexus LFA.
Old 03-15-14, 11:19 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
How do you figure the Lexus' transmission is better than the CTS'? GM's transmissions are actually excellent, and are used in a wide variety of other makes actually. The 8 speed in the TT CTS is a Aisin AW unit...the same company that developed the transmission in the Lexus LFA.
I test drove a CTS-V the other day and I wasn't a fan of the transmission. Then again when it has 556 horses surging through at WOT I can understand.
I'm interested in test driving a V-Sport now, just to compare...
Old 03-15-14, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
I test drove a CTS-V the other day and I wasn't a fan of the transmission. Then again when it has 556 horses surging through at WOT I can understand.
I'm interested in test driving a V-Sport now, just to compare...
The CTS V has an entirely different transmission than the 2014 CTS V Sport.
Old 03-17-14, 05:03 AM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CTS that I tested was the twin turbo 6, it's transmission, head and shoulders above the Lexus. The transmission in my GS makes the car seem sluggish, heavy, lumbering, compared to the CTS. It is the one major complaint on the car that I have. I seldom use the paddle shifters, and I love paddle shifters. I would like to test drive the '14 with the 8 speed to see if there is a difference. I have tried putting it in Sport+ and I really don't see a difference, don't get me wrong I really like the GS and is the best car ever on a long road trip, for me, but taking the twistys I would like a car with a more responsive transmission.

Taking a trip from my home to New Orleans I would choose the GS over the CTS. Taking a trip from Sacramento to Stateline, give me the CTS.

Last edited by JT51; 03-17-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 05:48 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The Biggest Irony is that the transmission in the CTS V-Sport is essentially made by Toyota as Aisin is a Toyota subsidiary. All the hardware in the CTS trans is identical to the 8 speeders in the latest Lexus sedans.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport vs 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport