GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Can anyone recommend a dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 05:05 AM
Newman154
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a dealership?

I need some help from my Lexus brethren (I'm a former GS, ES, RX and current RX owner). I work outside the US but will retire in December. I've contacted my local Memphis Lexus dealership about the purchase of a 2014 GS in time for the December sales event. They say there is a zero probability they will have that car in stock in December and must order it, thus missing the sales event. They will only discount an ordered car $1000 (MSRP would be $63,855). It seems the best way to get a good deal on the GS I want is to physically locate it in December. So my question - can anyone recommend a dealership that would have a large selection of RWD GS's in December? Distance isn't a factor since I have a zillion frequent flyer miles to burn. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 10-25-13, 05:46 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Only a a zillion? LOL I would recommend you try a broad search for the car on something like cars.com or KBB or another of many sites. If you're lucky, maybe you'll find the exact car you want. If not, it becomes a question of price and convenience. I've never ordered a Lexus but from what I've read on this site, it seems that you lose some of your negotiating strength when you order as opposed to buying from inventory. If you find a car that's not too far away, the local dealership may be able to have the trucked to the local dealership. I've had one trucked in from about 200 miles away and it was no big deal. If you have to order a car and your negotiating position is compromised by the fact that you have to order, then you may as well order the car from a dealership that's convenient to you.
Old 10-25-13, 06:14 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

You are not in a good negotiating position if you insist on a 14 when the dealer has 13s in the lot.

I told my dealership I wanted a 14 and didn't want to wait on an order which would take longer. A couple of weeks ago, he called me to let me know he had 2 allocated to his dealership due in at the end of November so I put a deposit on one since it was very close to what I wanted. Not sure what "allocation" means. Sounds like the dealer orders for their own inventory. Or maybe the high volume dealerships get inventory allocated earlier?

Regardless, not sure how the MSRP reached $63,855. Mine was $59,028 AWD with F-sport, cold weather package, nav, blind spot monitor with power mirrors, intuitive parking assist, and a couple of other minor accessories.
Old 10-25-13, 06:22 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If distance is not an issue go to JM Lexus in south FL, it's the largest volume Lexus dealer in the world. If they can't find it, it doesn't exist lol. Also I remember when I got the GS I called them up and said, "hey I want a GS F-Sport and this is what I want to pay," they said come on it we'll do whatever we have to do to get you in a car today at your price. Best dealership experience I've ever had, not to mention free food and drinks, and massage chairs!
Old 10-25-13, 06:35 AM
Newman154
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
If distance is not an issue go to JM Lexus in south FL, it's the largest volume Lexus dealer in the world. If they can't find it, it doesn't exist lol. Also I remember when I got the GS I called them up and said, "hey I want a GS F-Sport and this is what I want to pay," they said come on it we'll do whatever we have to do to get you in a car today at your price. Best dealership experience I've ever had, not to mention free food and drinks, and massage chairs!
Thanks, Tru. I did visit the JM Lexus web site several hours ago and left an e-message and have been waiting for their reply. Hopefully I'll hear back.

Flying3 - I don't want the car until December, so I can get hopefully get a good deal during their sales event. 2014 RWD with BD,GF,LK,LT,ML,NV,PA,PS,OT plus delivery = $65,855.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's harder getting things done from the other side of the world.
Old 10-25-13, 08:36 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy of mine says to order the car at a small dealership with as small a deposit as possible. Once the car comes in, cancel the order, forfeit the deposit, and get your "real" dealer to trade for the car at a program price. He claims he saves thousands this way. Bit sleazy, but that's the car biz!
Old 10-25-13, 08:43 PM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Johnson Lexus of Durham, NC is where I ordered my 2011 IS350 for $500 over invoice in sept. 2010. Car arrived Jan. 21, 2011. Was great experience even though the took 6hrs to install the FSport intake and exhaust system on it :-). Lol. Only took my 2.5 hrs to swap out with original OEM parts before I sold it this Sept.. Call around 1St dealer I went to for placing my order gave me some lame BS story like you got. But Johnson was on board from call to deal in person after driving 1.25 hours to them. PS I only let them service it also.
Old 10-26-13, 04:34 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely Sewell in Dallas. Great prices, innovative sales people and they deliver your new car to your house and pick up your trade, if you want. Just bought my second Lexus from them and I live in South Louisiana. Check out Dawn Betrus. I have no affiliation with either Lexus or Sewell.
Old 10-26-13, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
Definitely Sewell in Dallas. Great prices, innovative sales people and they deliver your new car to your house and pick up your trade, if you want. Just bought my second Lexus from them and I live in South Louisiana. Check out Dawn Betrus. I have no affiliation with either Lexus or Sewell.
Ditto. I bought mine at Sewell as well. They are outstanding.
Old 10-27-13, 08:31 AM
teuhl
Driver School Candidate

Call Tony Mullaney, 770-428-9600, at Nalley Lexus in Atlanta. He is a deal maker and will be there after delivery. He is the best salesperson I have dealt with over my 40+ years in buying cars.
Old 10-27-13, 08:00 PM
Newman154
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shocker88
Johnson Lexus of Durham, NC is where I ordered my 2011 IS350 for $500 over invoice in sept. 2010. Car arrived Jan. 21, 2011. Was great experience even though the took 6hrs to install the FSport intake and exhaust system on it :-). Lol. Only took my 2.5 hrs to swap out with original OEM parts before I sold it this Sept.. Call around 1St dealer I went to for placing my order gave me some lame BS story like you got. But Johnson was on board from call to deal in person after driving 1.25 hours to them. PS I only let them service it also.
Bingo, shocker88, Johnson Lexus of Durham, NC, is the one. After communicating with different dealers I'm convinced they don't 'naturally' produce the car I want. I wanted heated rear seats which is readily found in the north but RWD which is rare up there. Throw in radar cruise and blind side monitor and a couple of other features and no one had that car on their inbound list in the forseeable future. Few dealers wanted to offer much of a discount on a special order. Sewell had a very large inventory, but not my car, and were very nice people and I think I could have gotten a good deal on one of their in stock cars but they would discount a special order a maximum of $2000. I never did get a reply from JM Lexus. Johnson in Durham treats a special order like any other sale and I ordered the exact car I wanted for $500 over invoice which should work out to about $3500 below MSRP, the best deal on a special order by far. And if there are any special incentives still on, which might happen if the car arrives in late January, I get those as well. And they will deliver (drive) the car to my door for free when it arrives for no extra charge. You (I) can't beat that. I highly recommend Johnson Lexus of Durham for anyone who wants to save money on a special order. Peter, the internet manager, was great. And thanks, guys and girls, for your help. Especially yours, shocker88.
Old 10-27-13, 08:58 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Ditto. I bought mine at Sewell as well. They are outstanding.
Nearly bought mine from Sewell but went with Park Place up in Plano instead. Park Place has a new enormous dealership now on the Dallas North Tollway across from the enormous BMW dealership. So far they've been decent and purchasing, while it took hours, was largely painless. I'd recommend them to anyone and with the size of the place (largest dealer in the US now I believe) they should be wheeling and dealing.

*No affiliation to this dealer whatsoever, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-13, 09:04 PM
msp713
Driver

It's really great of you guys to share this info

To GS owners in Southern California...do you have a dealership you'd recommend? If any of you got a good deal on an order, please share. Thanks!
Old 10-29-13, 02:27 PM
advan34i
Rookie

Originally Posted by msp713
It's really great of you guys to share this info

To GS owners in Southern California...do you have a dealership you'd recommend? If any of you got a good deal on an order, please share. Thanks!
i got a great deal on a 2013 through newport. easy to work with, in and out less than 2 hrs.
Old 10-29-13, 07:48 PM
msp713
Driver

Originally Posted by advan34i
i got a great deal on a 2013 through newport. easy to work with, in and out less than 2 hrs.
Thanks! I'm probably going to have to do an order since I want a 2014 model. Who was the salesperson you worked with?

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a dealership?